The Mystery of the Absent Sunspots

Old March 9th 11, 12:56 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
pete[_2_]

Default The Mystery of the Absent Sunspots

Martin Brown wrote:

Doesn't America have peculiar zoning laws that prevent people from
hanging washing outside?

I've only ever heard of that
as part of a radio anouncement
on behalf of The Mayor Of Saigon
in the movie Apocalypse Now.

--
pete
Old March 9th 11, 01:20 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Pierre Vandevenne

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/us/11clothesline.html
Old March 9th 11, 03:41 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

On Mar 9, 11:25*am, wrote:
On Mar 9, 1:02*am, Mike Collins wrote:

On Mar 8, 1:58*am, wrote:

On Mar 5, 5:25*am, Mike Collins wrote:

On Mar 5, 12:33*am, wrote:

On Mar 4, 12:15*pm, wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 3, 9:03*pm, wrote:
In sci.physics OG wrote:

On 03/03/2011 11:40, wrote:

And here I thought that my electric clothes dryer was the culprit (but
not Barbra Streisand's electric clothes dryer, nor her huge mansion.)

Rather than looking for external justification for NOT making a
difference, why not look for the things that you CAN do to reduce your
paid-for energy use.

I know people in California who are not allowed to use their garden for
drying clothes, so they think they are are forced to use an electric
clothes dryer.

Actually, they are forced to use a clothes dryer by local zoning ordinances
prohibiting hanging clothes outside.

The choice or electric or gas depends on what the house was built for.

There is another choice to make:

If one lives on a wooded lot should one cut down some trees
(increasing global warming) in order to line-dry the laundry?
Conversely, if one has a treeless area where a clothesline could be
used, should one plant some trees there (decreasing global warming)
and use a dryer instead?

Non sequitur.

No, it isn't.

You are assuming that it is sunlight that dries hung out clothes when
the primary mechanism is air flow, i.e. evaporatation.

You are assuming that the clothes will always dry fast enough to
prevent them from developing a musty odor. *Also, you don't want bird
droppings, tree sap and other debris landing on the clothes.

The presense or absense of direct sunlight has a miniscule effect on the
process.

Direct sunlight accelerates the rate of evaporation considerably.- Hide quoted text -

This shows that you have never dried clothes outside.

So you are saying that the SUN which warms the Earth, evaporates vast
quantities of water from the oceans, and drives the weather and
climate, has very little effect on how fast laundry will get dry?????

Amazing, absolutely amazing.

They are always fresher than clothes dried in a dryer.

Except of course, they are likely covered by dust, pollen, soot, etc,
which is not a problem for clothes that come out of the dryer.

We only use our dryer when it rains heavily.

What, you don't dry them on a rack indoors.- Hide quoted text -

You must live in a real hell-hole of a place.
Even in the inner city pollution of Manchester in the early 1950s
washing on the line wasn't covered in dust and soot.

Not much soot, some dust, plenty of pollen.

50% of days in Britain are overcast. The washing still dries unless it
rains or the temperature is close to frfeezing .

Eventually, the water will evaporate, but not very fast.

Hang them up in the morning. They will be dry by evening.

Driers are a
convenient shortcut and useful in wet weather but, like some other
shorcuts, (packet cake mix, instant meals) they are a second best.

I don't eat those, but you seem to be familiar with them.

You don't need a sunny day to dry clothes outside. Wind is much more
important.

As always you are blinkered by politics.

Right, let's don't ever think about politics. *Of course, you are
obviously "blinkered by politics" since you do not see the leftists'
hidden agenda WRT issues such as energy use. *You just believe
whatever they say.

I don't believe anyone without some obvious proof or logic. Unlike you
I'm not hidebound by ideology.
The warming I have seen during my lifetime matches what the news
stories show. But I think both sides in the argument have a point.
Solar cycles and CO2 and other effects of global industry like cloud
cover due to aircraft and global dimming all affect the climate. The
correlation between solar cycles and river flows in South America is
too good to ignore. But so is the correlation between CO2 and global
temperature.
Remove your political goggles and look at facts and their source.

You deprive yourself of the
best

Waiting around for laundry to get half-dry on a filthy clothesline
does not meet ny definition of " best."

because you think it will make you an eco-freak.

I strongly suspect that the same people who try to air-dry their
laundry probably dispense with deodorants as well.

Set yourself
free of ideology - your life will be much less stressful. and your
clothes will be much fresher.

Then we should expect to see all the eco-celeb hypocrites trying to
dry all of their laundry shouldn't we?- Hide quoted text -

I couldn't care less about celebrities. celebrity culture is for
brainless sheep.

Don't get your facts from biased sources - particularly the alien
autopsy channel.

Old March 9th 11, 03:44 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

On Mar 9, 12:05*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 09/03/2011 11:25, wrote:

On Mar 9, 1:02 am, Mike *wrote:

You must live in a real hell-hole of a place.
Even in the inner city pollution of Manchester in the early 1950s
washing on the line wasn't covered in dust and soot.

I suspect it was if you lived near Agecroft power station! Built in the
valley its main chimney tops were at the same height at some houses. It
did require an unusual wind direction but it was not unknown.

I lived in Levenshulme near the main London - Manchester railway line
with steam trains runnig on an embankment.

Not much soot, some dust, plenty of pollen.

Even that is unusual. When the early plants with airborne pollen like
Japanese cedars and grasses are in flower there can be nuisance levels
of pollen about, but it tends to clump in still corners. So unless you
drop your washing on the floor and in the wrong place it is irrelevant.

50% of days in Britain are overcast. The washing still dries unless it
rains or the temperature is close to frfeezing .

Eventually, the water will evaporate, but not very fast.

In a stiff breeze (which is most of the time) it will dry outside
without difficulty. Most of the time in the UK the air is fairly low
humidity when it isn't actually raining.

You don't need a sunny day to dry clothes outside. Wind is much more
important.

I'd say it was a lot easier on a sunny day you can get two or more loads
of washing dry.

As always you are blinkered by politics.

Right, let's don't ever think about politics. *Of course, you are
obviously "blinkered by politics" since you do not see the leftists'
hidden agenda WRT issues such as energy use. *You just believe
whatever they say.

Whereas you favour profligate waste of energy at every opportunity.
Anything natural and free to use like sunlight and wind has to be bad
whereas something that wastes high grade energy is automatically good.

You deprive yourself of the
best

Waiting around for laundry to get half-dry on a filthy clothesline
does not meet ny definition of " best."

So the problem is that you never clean your clothesline - perhaps that
would improve your experience of drying clothes outdoors.

because you think it will make you an eco-freak.

I strongly suspect that the same people who try to air-dry their
laundry probably dispense with deodorants as well.

You are a joke.

Set yourself
free of ideology - your life will be much less stressful. and your
clothes will be much fresher.

Then we should expect to see all the eco-celeb hypocrites trying to
dry all of their laundry shouldn't we?

Doesn't America have peculiar zoning laws that prevent people from
hanging washing outside?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old March 10th 11, 02:44 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Mar 9, 7:05*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 09/03/2011 11:25, wrote:

On Mar 9, 1:02 am, Mike *wrote:

[...]

No, a dryer doesn't really use much energy when you consider what the
device does.

Anything natural and free to use like sunlight and wind has to be bad

Oh, so you do need sunlight after all.

whereas something that wastes high grade energy is automatically good.

Dryers aren't a waste because they accomplish an important task,
whereas billboards, private jets, limos, heated pools and large
mansions do not.

You deprive yourself of the
best

Waiting around for laundry to get half-dry on a filthy clothesline
does not meet ny definition of " best."

So the problem is that you never clean your clothesline - perhaps that
would improve your experience of drying clothes outdoors.

It's easier and more sanitary to take clean clothes out of a washer
and place them immediately into a clean dryer.

because you think it will make you an eco-freak.

I strongly suspect that the same people who try to air-dry their
laundry probably dispense with deodorants as well.

You are a joke.

You can expect that clothesline users probably try to over-economize
in areas of personal hygiene as well:

http://tinychoices.com/2009/11/24/bl...aundry-to-dry/

and

http://tinychoices.com/2007/11/14/do...eed-deodorant/

Maybe both habits contribute to odor, in a synergistic manner?

Set yourself
free of ideology - your life will be much less stressful. and your
clothes will be much fresher.

Then we should expect to see all the eco-celeb hypocrites trying to
dry all of their laundry shouldn't we?

Doesn't America have peculiar zoning laws that prevent people from
hanging washing outside?

There are no federal or state laws against it, but _maybe_ some
municipal laws in a few places. Usually it will be an HOA (home owners
association) that imposes such a rule. These rules tend to keep
property values up, and most residents don't want to hang laundry
anyway, so it is mostly a win for them.

I would hope that someone who lives in my area would be able to afford
to run a dryer. A basic machine costs around$300, costs only a few
dollars a month to operate and lasts for decades.

Now, if Malibu Barby expects the rest of us to hang laundry, she
should be willing to do so herself. If she has an HOA that forbids
it, then she should move.

Old March 10th 11, 02:55 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Mar 5, 12:33*am, wrote:

On Mar 4, 12:15*pm, wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 3, 9:03*pm, wrote:
In sci.physics OG wrote:

On 03/03/2011 11:40, wrote:

[...]

And in some neighborhoods they will be gone by noon.

Driers are a
convenient shortcut and useful in wet weather but, like some other
shorcuts, (packet cake mix, instant meals) they are a second best.

I don't eat those, but you seem to be familiar with them.

You don't need a sunny day to dry clothes outside. Wind is much more
important.

As always you are blinkered by politics.

Right, let's don't ever think about politics. *Of course, you are
obviously "blinkered by politics" since you do not see the leftists'
hidden agenda WRT issues such as energy use. *You just believe
whatever they say.

I don't believe anyone without some obvious proof or logic. Unlike you
I'm not hidebound by ideology.

There really is no ideology involved, but the hypocrisy of leftists on
this issue certainly makes the choice of using a dryer that much
easier.

The warming I have seen during my lifetime matches what the news
stories show.

/Begin sarcasm

By all means, if the news geeks say something, you should take it as
gospel. Especially NPR.

/End sarcasm

But I think both sides in the argument have a point.
Solar cycles and CO2 and other effects of global industry like cloud
cover due to aircraft and global dimming all affect the climate. The
correlation between solar cycles and *river flows in South America is
too good to ignore. But so is the correlation between CO2 and global
temperature.
Remove your political goggles and look at facts and their source.

Al Gore, celebrity or politician? Or both?

You deprive yourself of the
best

Waiting around for laundry to get half-dry on a filthy clothesline
does not meet ny definition of " best."

because you think it will make you an eco-freak.

I strongly suspect that the same people who try to air-dry their
laundry probably dispense with deodorants as well.

Set yourself
free of ideology - your life will be much less stressful. and your
clothes will be much fresher.

Then we should expect to see all the eco-celeb hypocrites trying to
dry all of their laundry shouldn't we?- Hide quoted text -

I couldn't care less about celebrities. celebrity culture is for
brainless sheep.

Such as the sheep who vote for Democrats and Liberals.

Don't get your facts from biased sources

Such as NPR and the MSM.

Old March 10th 11, 07:20 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

On Mar 5, 12:33*am, wrote:

On Mar 4, 12:15*pm, wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 3, 9:03*pm, wrote:
In sci.physics OG wrote:

On 03/03/2011 11:40, wrote:

[...]

Just anothjer US politician not relevant to me.
..

You deprive yourself of the
best

Waiting around for laundry to get half-dry on a filthy clothesline
does not meet ny definition of " best."

because you think it will make you an eco-freak.

I strongly suspect that the same people who try to air-dry their
laundry probably dispense with deodorants as well.

Set yourself
free of ideology - your life will be much less stressful. and your
clothes will be much fresher.

Then we should expect to see all the eco-celeb hypocrites trying to
dry all of their laundry shouldn't we?- Hide quoted text -

I couldn't care less about celebrities. celebrity culture is for
brainless sheep.

Such as the sheep who vote for Democrats and Liberals.

Sorry I'm British. Democrat, Republican, They;re all the same from
this side of the Atlantic,

Don't get your facts from biased sources

Such as NPR and the MSM.- Hide quoted text -

Who are they?
Try Reuters or the BBC but remember Sturgeons revelation."90% of
everthing is crud"

Old March 10th 11, 11:38 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Mar 5, 12:33*am, wrote:

On Mar 4, 12:15*pm, wrote:

wrote:

.

You deprive yourself of the
best

Waiting around for laundry to get half-dry on a filthy clothesline
does not meet ny definition of " best."

because you think it will make you an eco-freak.

I strongly suspect that the same people who try to air-dry their
laundry probably dispense with deodorants as well.

Set yourself
free of ideology - your life will be much less stressful. and your
clothes will be much fresher.

Then we should expect to see all the eco-celeb hypocrites trying to
dry all of their laundry shouldn't we?- Hide quoted text -

I couldn't care less about celebrities. celebrity culture is for
brainless sheep.

Such as the sheep who vote for Democrats and Liberals.

Sorry I'm British. Democrat, Republican, They;re all the same from
this side of the Atlantic,

VERY roughly speaking Democrat = "Labour", Republican =
"Conservative"

Generally speaking, those who are intelligent, educated,
individualistic, ambitious, polite, hardworking, etc., vote Republican
or sometimes Libertarian.

Those who are less intelligent, less interested in education, rude,
arrogant, lazy, smell bad, expect govt handouts and want to control
those whom they don't like, etc., vote Democrat.

Don't get your facts from biased sources

Such as NPR and the MSM.- Hide quoted text -

Who are they?

NPR = National Public Radio, a notorious Democrat propaganda machine,
funded by taxpayers.

MSM = Main Stream Media, aka the Lame Stream Media, which encompasses
most TV networks,news agencies, newspapers and news magazines, both
in the US and abroad. It is biased strongly to the left, tells half
truths, uses double standards WRT political parties. It employs large
numbers of people who were idealistic in their youth, but who then
failed to mature.

Try Reuters or the BBC but remember Sturgeons revelation."90% of
everthing is crud"

Reuters and BBC are part of the MSM (see above, in case you forgot
what you just read) and in most ways the worst of a bad lot.

Reuters did not want to use the word "terrorist" for fear of offending
terrorists. Very PC.

Old March 10th 11, 11:44 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Mar 10, 1:10*am, wrote:
In sci.physics wrote:
It's easier and more sanitary to take clean clothes out of a washer
and place them immediately into a clean dryer.

Like I said before, you haven't a clue how to do laundry.

Wash the clothes in the washer then dry them in the dryer, iron,
fold....that pretty much covers it.

The one single advantage to drying laundry in bright sunlight is the UV
kills germs left over from the wash.

That, and the fact the clothes might actually get dry in the
sunlight. You still have the pollen, dust and bird poop problems, sun
or shade.

And no, dryers don't get hot enough to kill germs, so it is not more sanitary
to use a drier.

No one said they did, but taking clean clothes out of a washer and
placing them outdoors is counterproductive.