starter scope - reducing options

Old November 29th 05, 09:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default starter scope - reducing options

I have enjoyed following astronomy for a looonngg time and have spent
the last post Y2k looking at the night sky through my telescope. I
think I am now ready to move to a starter scope. Before I start, I want
one that is portable (in a 2002 Corolla) and has GoTo capability.
The scope I have read the most on are
Celestron 103 SLT / 130 SLT
Meade WXT 90
although I am not limiting myself to these.
My goal here is to get a feel for the contruction and optics of these
and other scopes and the experiences of those on this ng. In addition,
any tips on features/limitations on various scopes I may consider.
Old November 29th 05, 11:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

GoTo on such a small aperture is practically useless, 9000 DSO database
and you'll be lucky to make out a dozen or so. IMO, get the back
seat dimensions for your little Corolla and get the biggest dob that
will fit in that space. (with a Telrad of course)

Old November 30th 05, 04:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Mean Mr Mustard" wrote in message
oups.com...
GoTo on such a small aperture is practically useless, 9000 DSO database
and you'll be lucky to make out a dozen or so. IMO, get the back
seat dimensions for your little Corolla and get the biggest dob that
will fit in that space. (with a Telrad of course)

I have to agree. GoTo is great when it's finely tuned and putting objects in
a half degree eyepiece of an 8" or larger scope under varying levels of
skyglow, but getting it finely tuned and then struggling with very limited
aperture seems a waste. That was my experience with a 4" scope on a GoTo
mount. Fun toy, but really selling the GoTo short.

I'd put the absolute minimum useful aperture for a GoTo at no smaller than
5", with an 8" to 11" SCT being the optimal for portability vs. aperture.

Old November 30th 05, 04:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Doink" wrote in news-ydnTL33ZbckxDeRVn-
:

Better yet, sell the Toyota, buy an American TRUCK and then get a 30"
Obsession.

Doink

Now you're talking ;-). Don't forget to order the Servocat to go with it if
you really do want goto.

Klazmon.

Old November 30th 05, 04:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Hi. In my opinion, if finances allow, The Meade LX-90 8" is the one I
would look at. Well built & big enough to last a lifetime. Go-to's are
great & is portable enough that it would be used.
Another great thing about the astronomy hobby; you can recover most
of the cost through resale if you wish to.
Charles