Medium Format "Piggyback" support/drive/tracker- suggestions?

Old September 22nd 05, 02:17 AM
rcyoung

Default Medium Format "Piggyback" support/drive/tracker- suggestions?

I would like to try some "piggyback" style sky shots using my current
medium format camera and lenses. MF is quite a bit heavier than 35mm,
so the question comes up as to what would make a good tracking/guidance
platform for mounting this ensemble?

Initially, I plan to use it for 100% piggyback photography of wide
field views with my existing "film" camera & lenses , so I am
researching what I would need to get the project "off the ground".

Any and all input/suggestions appreciated.

Old September 22nd 05, 05:17 PM
laura halliday

rcyoung wrote:

I would like to try some "piggyback" style sky shots
using my current medium format camera and lenses. MF is
quite a bit heavier than 35mm, so the question comes up
as to what would make a good tracking/guidance platform
for mounting this ensemble?

Initially, I plan to use it for 100% piggyback photography
of wide field views with my existing "film" camera & lenses,
so I am researching what I would need to get the project
"off the ground".

Any and all input/suggestions appreciated.

I do MF piggyback with a Pentax 67 and a Losmandy G-11
mount. For a guide scope I've used both a 5" Synta achromat,
and an 8" Celestron SCT. On top I use the usual Losmandy
camera mounts and rings to support the lenses. My favourite
lens for astrophotography is my 165mm f/2.8, with my 300mm f/4
(a big brute of a lens) not far behind. As you would
expect from a professional system, both are tack sharp
wide open. The Pentax 67 is noted for film flatness, an
issue I'm stuggling with on my home made 4x5 astrograph.

The Celestron bolts right up with Losmandy DC8 dovetail
plates, while the Synta's rings required a couple of DUP
plates and some creative hardware.

As you know, MF gear is heavy. You really do need a hefty
mount to do it properly. Get it right, though, and the
results are what you would expect: absolutely bloody
spectacular.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old September 22nd 05, 07:59 PM
rcyoung

I've been stocking up on Hasselblad gear the last 3-4 yrs as many
professionals go digital. The lenses are a bit slower than yours (the
shutter is in the lens), but as you state, professional MF is very very
sharp. Hasselblad had an interesting attachment ( usually picked up off
ebay these days) where you can use "cut down" sheet film in the camera
as well as120/220 rolls. That should open up several interesting
possibilities as well in the use of heavier base ( aka "flatter") film,
and a range of different emulsions.

Robert Young