Weird stuff on Mars !!!

Old February 8th 04, 11:56 PM
Chris L Peterson

Default Weird stuff on Mars !!!

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:10:46 GMT, "Linda" wrote:

Ok, it seems we are communicating now after a complete waste of other posts.
But, how does one count pixels?

I do it in Photoshop, but most image editing programs have some kind of
measurement tool.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old February 9th 04, 12:18 AM
Linda

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:10:46 GMT, "Linda" wrote:

Ok, it seems we are communicating now after a complete waste of other

posts.
But, how does one count pixels?

I do it in Photoshop, but most image editing programs have some kind of
measurement tool.

Nobody should have to go through such an exercise just to count pixels.
Most people
aren't that computer savvy to use photoshop or some other software to count
pixels. JPL should just make it simple stupid and tell us
because for one thing, I am certain elementary schools don't want to be
bothered with such antics.
Also, few kids would be able to sit through a "JPL CSPAN" briefing not to
mention teachers who probably won't
waste the time. All this crap you are throwing at me is nothing more than
good for a select minority of the population.
The computer savvy.

Can one just use a magnifying glass on a flat screen to count pixels? What
about people who
use a CRT screen and can't count pixels?

Old February 9th 04, 12:59 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:18:46 GMT, "Linda" wrote:

Nobody should have to go through such an exercise just to count pixels...

You seem to be overlooking that this is RAW DATA. It is kindly provided by the
MER team as a courtesy to people who _are_ savvy enough to analyze it. If you
want a caption and details, that's what the press releases and press release
images are for. They are taking many hundreds of images- surely you don't expect
someone to immediately provide analysis of each one? That will take years after
the mission stops collecting new data. In the meantime, I'm very happy they are
being so liberal about posting this early data.

Most people
aren't that computer savvy to use photoshop or some other software to count
pixels. JPL should just make it simple stupid and tell us
because for one thing, I am certain elementary schools don't want to be
bothered with such antics.

I teach science to K-8 kids. I guarantee you they are easily made technically
savvy enough to make this measurement. These "antics" are pretty educational,
IMO. In fact, this seems like a great exercise for them next week- to figure out
that this area of Mars is covered by little balls the size of BBs.

You don't need Photoshop- there are any number of free programs available for
download that can measure the distance between pixels.

Also, few kids would be able to sit through a "JPL CSPAN" briefing not to
mention teachers who probably won't
waste the time. All this crap you are throwing at me is nothing more than
good for a select minority of the population.
The computer savvy.

Exactly. This information is provided for the select minority of the population
willing to think a little. You appear to be part of the rest- the majority who
only accept information spoon fed. Frankly, I wonder what you are even doing on
this list, which definitely is intended for those not afraid of a little
intellectual effort.

Can one just use a magnifying glass on a flat screen to count pixels?

No. Not unless you blow the image up big enough to see individual pixels, and
most programs that can do that have a measurement tool you can use, which is a
whole lot easier.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old February 9th 04, 02:11 AM
Ed

"Linda" wrote in message

Can one just use a magnifying glass on a flat screen to count pixels?

ROTFLMAO! Were you born yesterday??? Just load the image into
MS Paint and then select Zoom from the View menu. I know that might
be a challenge for you, but you might actually learn something new.
Perhaps tomorrow you will be learning how to walk. Wow!

Old February 9th 04, 03:33 AM
Linda

"Ed" wrote in message

"Linda" wrote in message

Can one just use a magnifying glass on a flat screen to count pixels?

ROTFLMAO! Were you born yesterday??? Just load the image into
MS Paint and then select Zoom from the View menu. I know that might
be a challenge for you, but you might actually learn something new.
Perhaps tomorrow you will be learning how to walk. Wow!

Just what are you being like that for? Some of you lurker types are real
wierd just popping in and
offering nothing. I am in MS PAINT now and there is no way to measure the
pixels on the spaceballs using zoom.

Old February 9th 04, 03:35 AM
Linda

"Ed" wrote in message

"Linda" wrote in message

Can one just use a magnifying glass on a flat screen to count pixels?

ROTFLMAO! Were you born yesterday??? Just load the image into
MS Paint and then select Zoom from the View menu. I know that might
be a challenge for you, but you might actually learn something new.
Perhaps tomorrow you will be learning how to walk. Wow!

Oh, wait, I see, just zoom up to 800% and count; gottcha big boy.