Weird stuff on Mars !!!

Old February 8th 04, 05:47 PM
Linda

Default Weird stuff on Mars !!!

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:39:28 -0600, jerry warner wrote:

Oh for Christ's sake! Well whether they "feel like it" or not, they

should!

Why? It isn't their business to provide public annotation for every image

they
collect. This is a scientific expedition, with a fairly short window of

data
collection. The investigators are under no obligation to provide any

short-term
information at all. They've done a good job of providing press releases
highlighting key events and finds, and provided a great courtesy in

releasing so
many raw images. By virtue of its public funding all of the raw data will

be
available in short order, and the specifications of all the instruments

are
already available. Lighten up.

You are way over the fence on this one. You should lighten up. It is
standard geological fare
to provide actual measurement scale in any photo of a geologic feature. The
least they
could do is tell us what the millimeter dimentions of the feature s are.
They did say once that
the Opportunity outcrop features were measured at 4 inches high.

Old February 8th 04, 06:00 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:47:38 GMT, "Linda" wrote:

You are way over the fence on this one. You should lighten up. It is
standard geological fare
to provide actual measurement scale in any photo of a geologic feature. The
least they
could do is tell us what the millimeter dimentions of the feature s are.
They did say once that
the Opportunity outcrop features were measured at 4 inches high.

I disagree. The images we are discussing here are in the raw images section. It
is perfectly acceptable for them to provide no annotation at all beyond the
basics that can be extracted from the file name. These aren't press release
images, which do have more information supplied (and I certainly agree it would
be customary and appropriate to give some information on scale in a press
release image).

Raw images are supplied so that individuals interested in pursuing their own
investigations have data to work with. Anybody competent enough to do something
useful with these data should also be competent enough to look up the technical
specifications of the instruments used to collect it.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old February 8th 04, 06:38 PM
Joe Knapp

"jerry warner" wrote
looks like micro volcanic or heat deposited glass beads of some kind.
note the sharp fracturing & pitting on several which is characteristic
of such materials found in nature, but Im liklely wrong.

Check out this colorized shot, where the spheres appear bluish, which is
handy for spotting them. Note that they are embedded in the outcrop rock, so
they are evidently weathering from that source.

http://www.copperas.com/astro/spheres.jpg

The rock they are coming out of looks very weak (like ash?). Be a lot cooler
if it is sedimentary rock though.

Joe

Old February 8th 04, 08:51 PM
Wfoley2

If you think THAT'S weird, try driving down Harry Hines in Dallas some time.
Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old February 8th 04, 08:51 PM
Wfoley2

Old February 8th 04, 09:41 PM
Linda

release image).

Raw images are supplied so that individuals interested in pursuing their

own
investigations have data to work with. Anybody competent enough to do

something
useful with these data should also be competent enough to look up the

technical
specifications of the instruments used to collect it.

When you say that the FOV of the image is 31 x 31 mm I take that as meaning
at the plane of the
CCD image much like a SLR 35mm image. So what if my pictures are 5 x 8? I
still cannot make
any inference about the size of ojects in the picture. So, what does it
matter if the FOV is 31mm x 31mm?
This is 2 dimensions not 3 and perspective is at play. I really think you
don't know what you are talking about. If you did
you would just tell me what the size of those beads are based on your
"technical specifications".

Old February 8th 04, 09:58 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Linda wrote:
When you say that the FOV of the image is 31 x 31 mm I take that as meaning
at the plane of the
CCD image much like a SLR 35mm image. So what if my pictures are 5 x 8? I
still cannot make
any inference about the size of ojects in the picture. So, what does it
matter if the FOV is 31mm x 31mm?
This is 2 dimensions not 3 and perspective is at play. I really think you
don't know what you are talking about. If you did
you would just tell me what the size of those beads are based on your
"technical specifications".

You are either really thick headed *and* self righteous or you are just
another troll. My bet is on the latter. Shawn Grant as a girl. Ick!

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer: