Video sequential video recordings after Apollo 11 - the actual way it happened.

Old June 23rd 08, 06:40 AM posted to sci.space.history
J Waggoner

Default Video sequential video recordings after Apollo 11 - the actual way it happened.

Regarding your specific question about the field sequential
recordings. I received the following from a Nasa employee
while investigating other archived materials that shall remain
nameless.

First let me say that Slow-Scan TV was only used on Apollo 7, 8, 9 and
11.

Apollo 10 and all subsequent missions through Skylab and Apollo-Soyuz
used the Westinghouse Field Sequential Color cameras that operated at
NTSC rates (525 lines, 30 frames per second). The Apollo 12 and 14
Lunar Module used a modified Westinghouse field sequential color
camera.

The quality of the television signal was degraded due to the need to
filter out the LM voice and telemetry subcarriers.

The Apollo 15, 16 and 17 lunar landing missions used the RCA GTCA
cameras that used the same field sequential color standard used by the
Westinghouse CSM color cameras. The quality was near broadcast
standards due to the use of a special device that removed the LM and
lunar rover subcarriers without degrading the television signal.

The television signals on the Apollo 16 and 17 lunar landing missions
was further improved by special processing by Image Transform. The
NASA Johnson Spaceflight Center still has a video archive that has
digital copies of the original field sequential color broadcasts by
the Apollo, Skylab, and Shuttle missions over the years.

Mark Gray of Spacecraft Films has produced an extensive DVD library of
that contains all of the Apollo field sequential color broadcasts.

I hope that answers your question. The reasons the networks don't
use these? Laziness. Even Nasa tv doesn't show the cleaned up
recordings on Sundays or anniversaries which is unforgivable I think.

The following, Actual studio recorded conversation at Nasa TV control
room, "Hey Bob, yeah pull out the analog Beta Sp master from 1983 and
run it, yeah who cares...What? Run the new brilliant restored digital
transfer with eye popping sound and color of the Apollo 15 Eva? No
thanks Bob. That's just to much work to impress my grand kids."