Pentagon Using Spy Satellites To Check ISS For Damage

Old December 4th 03, 10:18 AM
Brian Gaff

Default Pentagon Using Spy Satellites To Check ISS For Damage

Hmm, not being too sure where it is, but could the noise be due to a bit of
that materials exposure experiment coming loose and just touching the iss?
After all, they seem pretty hot on tracking quite small objects in the same
orbit and seem to be able to take some crude avoiding action if the
approach seems near.

And what of that label that was seen some months ago? That obviously came
from somewhere. I'd have thought that with the experience of space the
various nations involved have, they would have avoided items that could come
loose.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
Email:

http://www.local6.com/technology/2679895/detail.html

---

Old December 4th 03, 03:53 PM
jeff findley

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:

That's AERCam/SPRINT. There's a thread about it on s.s.station. This is the
kind of point-inspection that AERCam/SPRINT would be perfect for, except
for one drawback: the current model is EVA-deployable only. If you're going
to go to the trouble of prepping, prebreathing, suiting up, and depressing
for an EVA, you might as well go to the site yourself and see it with your
own eyes.

For this type of inspection, it would be nice if AERCam/SPRINT were
already mounted outside on some sort of mini docking port and could
reconnect with its docking port after the inspection is over. The
port should provide power and replacement N2 gas for the thruster
system, so that you'd only have to bring it inside ISS if something
failed.

Unfortunately, I'm sure this would place all sorts of new requirements
on the vehicle, such as thermal requirements so it could withstand
being outside indefinately.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old December 4th 03, 06:39 PM
stmx3

jeff findley wrote:
"Jorge R. Frank" writes:

[...]

Yup...but things like that can be overcome. If NASA were serious about
the project, I think they could have a nice utility within a year or so.
And as I've already discussed with Jorge, it would be an evolving
utility that could prove useful for the next several generations of
manned space vehicles and stations.

Old December 4th 03, 09:40 PM
Derek Lyons

jeff findley wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm sure this would place all sorts of new requirements
on the vehicle, such as thermal requirements so it could withstand
being outside indefinately.

The demands in the vehicle for an 'indefinite' stay could be moderated
somewhat by a well designed garage.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old December 4th 03, 11:06 PM
Herb Schaltegger

jeff findley wrote:

Taken to an extreme, you could add a "scientific" airlock to ISS that
can deploy and retrieve experiments that are a bit larger than AERCam
Sprint, so you could use AERCam Sprint "as is". ;-)

I should dig out and quote the Space Station Freedom Level 2 (or was it 3?)
requirements which called for both a Crew Lock and an Experiments Lock.
Another design feature swept aside during the morphology into "ISS" . . .

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer