Perseid meteor shower imminent

Old August 11th 04, 05:56 PM
Dan

Default Perseid meteor shower imminent

In case anyone has forgotten, just a reminder that the Perseid
meteor shower is predicted to occur tonight, August 11 at 22:00
BST, tomorrow before dawn and shortly after 23:30 BST, and Friday
soon after 23:30 BST

BBC News Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3548960.stm

Old August 11th 04, 07:39 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:56:05 +0100, "Dan" wrote:

In case anyone has forgotten, just a reminder that the Perseid
meteor shower is predicted to occur tonight, August 11 at 22:00
BST, tomorrow before dawn and shortly after 23:30 BST, and Friday
soon after 23:30 BST

BBC News Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3548960.stm

The two 'early' surges mentioned are a filimentary enhancement
prediction (22h00m BST tonight) and the shower maximum (which occurs
at 07h00mUT tomorrow morning). Activity should be high tonight (as
guaranteed by the amount of cloud around at the moment) and continue
for a few days yet albeit with ever decreasing rates. Tomorrow night
will allow you to catch the end of the maximum spike but as the night
progresses the rates will drop significantly.

I'm hoping for a few gaps in the clouds tomorrow morning but things
are looking pretty thick up there at the moment (in fact it's raining
slightly in Selsey as I write this ).
--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old August 11th 04, 08:28 PM
gp.skinner

In case anyone has forgotten, just a reminder that the Perseid
meteor shower is predicted to occur tonight, August 11 at 22:00
BST, tomorrow before dawn and shortly after 23:30 BST, and Friday
soon after 23:30 BST

I think the only shower I'm in for is a thunder storm orientated one!

Graeme

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 11th 04, 09:05 PM
Dan

Pete Lawrence wrote:

I'm hoping for a few gaps in the clouds tomorrow morning but
things are looking pretty thick up there at the moment (in
fact it's raining slightly in Selsey as I write this ).

The cloud is showing no signs of clearing here in Bognor Regis
(21:00 BST). The forecast suggests a possibility of lighter cloud
towards Dawn, but it doesn't look at all promising

Old August 11th 04, 09:08 PM
Damian Burrin

things
are looking pretty thick up there at the moment

Not too bad here in Lincoln, suns out thick patchy cloud but the gaps are
big.

Damian

--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

email
email

email

Old August 11th 04, 10:03 PM
Tony Pottrell

"Dan" wrote in message ...
Pete Lawrence wrote:

I'm hoping for a few gaps in the clouds tomorrow morning but
things are looking pretty thick up there at the moment (in
fact it's raining slightly in Selsey as I write this ).

The cloud is showing no signs of clearing here in Bognor Regis
(21:00 BST). The forecast suggests a possibility of lighter cloud
towards Dawn, but it doesn't look at all promising

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweath...ation_12.shtml

Another shower duly ruined

Old August 11th 04, 10:41 PM
Jackie Green

Tony Pottrell wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Pete Lawrence wrote:

I'm hoping for a few gaps in the clouds tomorrow morning but
things are looking pretty thick up there at the moment (in
fact it's raining slightly in Selsey as I write this ).

The cloud is showing no signs of clearing here in Bognor Regis
(21:00 BST). The forecast suggests a possibility of lighter cloud
towards Dawn, but it doesn't look at all promising

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweath...ation_12.shtml

Another shower duly ruined

I saw 4!!! we have intermittent cloud here, or we did at 9.50-10.20 anyway.

Old August 12th 04, 12:27 AM
Damian Burrin

I saw 4!!! we have intermittent cloud here, or we did at 9.50-10.20 anyway

We had clear skies from 10 - 11 with only patches of cloud. Totally
starless after eleven.

I saw 6 very bright ones with good trails and 4 more dimmer probably through
cloud patches.

Lets hope its clearer longer tomorrow night

Damian

--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

email
email

email

"Jackie Green" . uk wrote
in message ...

Old August 12th 04, 12:32 AM
Jackie Green

Damian Burrin wrote:
I saw 4!!! we have intermittent cloud here, or we did at 9.50-10.20
anyway

We had clear skies from 10 - 11 with only patches of cloud. Totally
starless after eleven.

We went up to the Ob with plans to see what we could see, but there were a
group of yobs having a fire and drinking in the field by the ob so we came
home again. havent seen anything else. It looks like there are cloud breaks,
but there's higher cloud above obscuring everything. plus our neighbours are
having yet another impromtu garden get together 2 doors down and they have
decided to leave *both* security lights on. :-X

Old August 12th 04, 01:31 PM
M Holmes

100% cloud all night in Edinburgh as far as my frequent visits outside went.

Cloud level is ground level now and looking set to stay that way. In the
unlikely event I see a Perseid, I'll be its proud owner tomorrow.

FoFP