UK Astronomy Buy & Sell

Old July 11th 03, 05:32 AM
M13

Default UK Astronomy Buy & Sell

Some of you may be interested in a new web site dedicated to used
telescope equipment swapping for the UK and Ireland. People can place
"for sale" and "wanted" adverts free of charge.

The site can be seen at www.astrobuysell.com/uk
Old July 14th 03, 07:00 PM
Roger Steer

Default UK Astronomy - Is anyone interested?

Please allow me to say a couple of things:

1 Chris Heapy's Astro Ads may not be the best site there has ever been, but
it works, and it is important, if astro sales are going to be successful for
buyer and seller, that they all look in the SAME place. That way, they get
the best choice, and the best chance of selling their goods at a fair price.
Unless Chris' site collapses, and I am sure that this is not at all
imminent, we should all use that - and be very thankful to him for it.
Those that start new 'small-ads' sites do the community no good at all.

2 I am, as ever, appalled by the petty, small-minded, self-important people
who post along the lines -

'someone has tried to sell me something, so I will subject him to a storm of
obscenity'. If that were uttered in a public place, it could have got the
poster a fine, or a night in the cells, but the anonymity of the net (they
usually are anonymous) allows them to act in the bullying boorish way that
they do.

'in my book ANY unsolicited email from people I don't know, whether
associated with something I'm interested in or not, is spam' - GROW UP AND
GET A LIFE!

'people who type in capital letter are 'shouting' and are rude' - grow up
and get a life! Why not take up a hobby - astronomy is a good one!

'I will not buy magazines that subsidise advertisers' - You got it wrong -
they (through their adverts) subsidise the magazine - therefore, subsidise
you, if you buy it!

Don't bother to reply to this posting, it won't be seen by me. This last
pathetic exchange between you all has been the final straw and I am
unsubscribing from uk.sci.astronomy today. Yahoo groups - preferably
moderated - have a detectable signal to noise ratio. I suggest that those
who mistakenly thought this newsgroup was about astronomy, follow suit.

Roger
------------------------------------
Roger Steer

website:
http://mysite.freeserve.com/island_o...tory/intro.htm
om...

Old July 14th 03, 11:01 PM
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:00:51 +0100, in uk.sci.astronomy , "Roger
Steer" wrote:

Please allow me to say a couple of things:

feel free.

'in my book ANY unsolicited email from people I don't know, whether
associated with something I'm interested in or not, is spam' - GROW UP AND
GET A LIFE!

*shrug*. You may be ok with cold calls from people you don't know
trying to setll you things. I'm not. I have a life thanks, and at 37
its a bit late to grow up.

'people who type in capital letter are 'shouting' and are rude' - grow up
and get a life!

Shouting is rude. Do you frequently do rude things?

Don't bother to reply to this posting, it won't be seen by me. This last
pathetic exchange between you all has been the final straw and I am
unsubscribing from uk.sci.astronomy today.

shame.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Old July 14th 03, 11:06 PM
Chris.B

"Roger Steer" wrote in message ...

Please allow me to say a couple of things:

Don't bother to reply to this posting, it won't be seen by me. This last
pathetic exchange between you all has been the final straw and I am
unsubscribing from uk.sci.astronomy today. Yahoo groups - preferably
moderated - have a detectable signal to noise ratio. I suggest that those
who mistakenly thought this newsgroup was about astronomy, follow suit.

Roger Steer

Whether you read this or not Roger: I'll say it anyway.

A shame that you let one rather argumentative thread put you off this
newsgroup. Do all the other astro related threads count for nothing?
You may not agree with the things said. But they were said with
emotion and conviction by those who posted. Opinions vary on most
subjects. The difficulty of holding a heated debate in slow motion. By
posting e-mails to a Google NG is not to be underestimated. Things
said freely in face to face conversation do not translate well to the
NG text format. What produces a wry grin in the pub comes across as
pompous, highly critical or a lunatic rage in text form.
Interpretation is usually in the eye of the heholder. Humour,
particlarly irony is usually completely lost on the reader. Capitals
and smilies are not the subtle facial expressions of two amateur
astronomers. In violent disagreement over some detail. But still
capable of having an intelligent chat behind the observatory.

Chris.B
Old July 15th 03, 11:43 AM
Gordon

I look at this news group every so often and I have put the occasional
request on it and I have received very helpful replies from some of the
people on this current thread.
Can we give this one a rest, if you were a first time user on this group and
you looked at this current thread the unsubsribe button would be pushed very
quickly. I hope that this group remains a friendly and informational area,
not a site of insults and accusations. (life is too short!)