ASTRO: NGC457 or an upside down ET

Old February 9th 07, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC457 or an upside down ET

When seeing is rotten try open clusters. You can deconvolve the stars
to ridiculous levels, clip the faint out of focus stuff to black and
still get a pretty good shot. In my film days it would have been a
wasted evening in the bitter cold.

14" LX200R@F/10, L=6x5' RGB=3x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC457L6X5RGB3X5_67%.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	431
Old February 9th 07, 07:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
When seeing is rotten try open clusters. You can deconvolve the stars
to ridiculous levels, clip the faint out of focus stuff to black and
still get a pretty good shot. In my film days it would have been a
wasted evening in the bitter cold.

14" LX200R@F/10, L=6x5' RGB=3x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Nice shot, Rick. I think it came out rather well. I've got some software
that is supposed to do deconvolve (I think), but never figured out how to
use it. What software do you use for that process?

George

Old February 9th 07, 11:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

There are several versions of the L-R routine out there. I used the one
in AIM-4Windows V1. Rather than try and figure out what settings you
need it uses pictures. Each time you change that parameter it shows a
new series of stars of various brightness levels. Adjust until they
match your data. Then let it fly. You can watch each iteration and
stop it when it looks about right. Saves a lot of experimentation or
trying to figure out what size to make the kernel or whatever the
particular version you are using makes you guess at. I suppose if you
use it a lot it wouldn't be a problem but I rarely use it. It does
round out stars distorted by lousy seeing but you have to go in lots of
gentle steps or you get "raccoon eyes" around the stars. The star is
surrounded by a dark ring then a narrow bright one that looks much like
a halation ring from light reflecting off the support film for the
emulsion. Something that was quite common in my film days especially
with 103 emulsions

Rick

Old February 10th 07, 07:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

you posted a lot of great images recently. Unfortunately my newsserver
doesn't catch a lot of images, but I just saw them using the "usenet
replayer" (thanks for pointing me to this one).

Stefan

Old February 10th 07, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks. I've been frustrated by the weather but it appears most of the
rest out there have even worse weather than I do! Due to weather and my
screw ups I doubt more than one or two of those would have been
salvageable in my film days. It's amazing what you can pull out of a
"bad" digital picture. And I am still learning new tricks every day.

The link Stefan is referring to is:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/webrings/astro.html

It runs the photos (messages without photos are ignored unfortunately)
from this group. So if you miss one try looking there. It updates only
once a day so is usually a day behind. It caught photos I missed when
that guy foolishly posted many megabytes of crap he could have just
posted URL's for. He seemed to enjoy pushing everyone's hard worked for
images off the servers with stuff he just stole from other sites.
Fortunately, the above site didn't fall for his posts. So I caught
several days of missed photos there. Not as useful as MySky but sure is
a great help just the same.

Rick

Stefan Lilge wrote:

[...]

OT- the upside of nuclear war Pat Flannery History 4 August 16th 06 06:02 AM
Stars upside down shock! Chris Taylor UK Astronomy 1 March 17th 05 05:47 PM
Upside down? Steve UK Astronomy 0 January 27th 04 04:20 PM
rockets .. upside down ? Kaido Kert Technology 13 January 8th 04 07:42 PM
mars upside down ? called2preach2002 Misc 7 September 2nd 03 01:49 PM