Mars Global Surveyor Images: February 9-15, 2006

Old February 15th 06, 05:15 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

Default Mars Global Surveyor Images: February 9-15, 2006

MARS GLOBAL SURVEYOR IMAGES
February 9-15, 2006

The following new images taken by the Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) on
the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft are now available:

o South Polar Terraces (Released 09 February 2006)
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/09

o Syrtis Crater (Released 10 February 2006)
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/10

o South Polar Terrain (Released 11 February 2006)
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/11

o Tithonium Landslide (Released 12 February 2006)
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/12

o Chryse Plains (Released 13 February 2006)
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/13

o Valentine 2006 (Released 14 February 2006)
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/14

o Mars at Ls 12 Degrees (Released 15 February 2006)
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/15

All of the Mars Global Surveyor images are archived he

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/index.html

Mars Global Surveyor was launched in November 1996 and has been
in Mars orbit since September 1997. It began its primary
mapping mission on March 8, 1999. Mars Global Surveyor is the
first mission in a long-term program of Mars exploration known as
the Mars Surveyor Program that is managed by JPL for NASA's Office
of Space Science, Washington, DC. Malin Space Science Systems (MSSS)
and the California Institute of Technology built the MOC
using spare hardware from the Mars Observer mission. MSSS operates
the camera from its facilities in San Diego, CA. The Jet Propulsion
Laboratory's Mars Surveyor Operations Project operates the Mars Global
Surveyor spacecraft with its industrial partner, Lockheed Martin
Astronautics, from facilities in Pasadena, CA and Denver, CO.

Old February 17th 06, 05:08 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

Do you think that Mars might be undergoing global warming.

I was just looking at ..
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/...6.S1100815.gif
from
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/16/

The ice must be sublimating into the atmosphere. There are no melt
fluid run off channels. Isn't there occasionally suggestions of
run-off channels going down the side of some craters in sedimentary
formations.

See also
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/...9.S1100677.gif

Thanks for the interesting posting Ron. Why don't you ever write any
chatty stuff? We could use some global warming up here in chilly
Ottawa.

Best,

Michael

Old February 21st 06, 04:05 AM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you think that Mars might be undergoing global warming.

I was just looking at ..
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/...6.S1100815.gif
from
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/02/16/

The ice must be sublimating into the atmosphere. There are no melt
fluid run off channels. Isn't there occasionally suggestions of
run-off channels going down the side of some craters in sedimentary
formations.

See also
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/...9.S1100677.gif

Thanks for the interesting posting Ron. Why don't you ever write any
chatty stuff? We could use some global warming up here in chilly
Ottawa.

Best,

Michael

Hi Mike. First of all, water-scoured channels on Mars appear to be old,
very old. Mars's atmosphere is not currently dense enough to support
liquid water, and hasn't been for billions of years. Any ice that melts
sublimates immediately into the gaseous phase. There have been suggestions
of groundwater erupting along the sides of craters, but this has not been
definitely verified. Secondly, what you are seeing in the first image in
the link you posted is likely a result of sublimation that normally occurs
during the martian polar summers. I've read that there is evidence that
the polar ice caps were once much larger than they are today. Since they
are now smaller, obviously, the planet has warmed up since that time. As
to whether that indicates that global warming is currently an ongoing
phenomenon, I've seen no published papers that indicate that this is the
case.

George

Old February 21st 06, 11:38 AM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

On a sunny day (Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:05:14 GMT) it happened "George"
wrote in _jwKf.781072$x96.423028@attbi_s72:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Oh really?
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/space...lake2color.jpg
from:
http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/obj...objectid=34508
more detail, true color:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/space...olordetail.jpg

If you write stuff, add 'I think' or 'I repeat current concepts'.
But LOOK.

Old February 22nd 06, 12:51 AM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
On a sunny day (Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:05:14 GMT) it happened "George"
wrote in
_jwKf.781072$x96.423028@attbi_s72:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Link not currently working.

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/obj...objectid=34508
more detail, true color:

Not true color. It is an RGBi image, taken with color filters.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Exp...BQXLDMD_0.html
Yes, the images have been processed but that is quite normal. We are not
taking colour photographs, we have to combine the different colour channels
which requires processing time. Each of the four colour channels operate
with a filter of different wavelength (red, green, blue and infrared) and
produce data sets which have to be combined and calculated on to a digital
elevation model.

The colour channels are absolutely real, but they do not reflect the true
colour as we would see it with our eyes. These views can be obtained by
processing the data, which does not mean 'faking' the colours, but fitting
them to standard spectral curves which we know. We adjust the obtained
colour image data to a standard spectral curve derived from Earth-based
observations in terms of wavelength and intensity.

Secondly, if you read the fine print of the caption, it says "once formed
by water". There is currently no running water there, Pantie. sorry.

http://panteltje.com/panteltje/space...olordetail.jpg

If you write stuff, add 'I think' or 'I repeat current concepts'.
But LOOK.

If I write stuff, I stand by them until someone disproves them. I'm still
waiting.

Old February 22nd 06, 12:39 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:51:02 GMT) it happened "George"
wrote in WzOKf.813800$xm3.568570@attbi_s21:

very old. Mars's atmosphere is not currently dense enough to support
liquid water, and hasn't been for billions of years.

Oh really?
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/space...lake2color.jpg
from:

Link not currently working.

get a better PC

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/obj...objectid=34508
more detail, true color:

Not true color. It is an RGBi image, taken with color filters.

Look up the discussion in sci.astro about this, this camera, the processing,
the scanning method and the filters AND THIS PICTURE with somebody from ESA
and me.
Then learn about cameras, electronics, pictures in general and how to click
on a link.

The colour channels are absolutely real, but they do not reflect the true
colour as we would see it with our eyes. These views can be obtained by
processing the data, which does not mean 'faking' the colours, but fitting
them to standard spectral curves which we know. We adjust the obtained
colour image data to a standard spectral curve derived from Earth-based
observations in terms of wavelength and intensity.

Blubber, green = green filter in the visible range.

Secondly, if you read the fine print of the caption, it says "once formed
by water". There is currently no running water there, Pantie. sorry.

I read the fine print BETWEEN THE LINES in all publications that says:
THERE IS ONLY LIFE ON EARTH AND JESUS SAVES.

Even the Spanish when they went to the Americas went to convert the
inhabitants.

If it turned out the rest of the universe (which is actually MUCH bigger then
your back garden) has life that is not Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Buddha
related, that MIGHT just have people think twice about the current 'heaven
later' scum,
and have them go for heaven now.

In my view it is only for the extrememly lucky and those whe want to see,
not what they have been tought they do see, but really see.

I qualify in the case of electronics, cameras, colormeterics and picture
processing to say: It is a lake with water.
Your postings sucks.
And that is also a qualified opinion.
Byeeeeee!

Old February 22nd 06, 01:15 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:51:02 GMT) it happened "George"
wrote in
WzOKf.813800$xm3.568570@attbi_s21:

very old. Mars's atmosphere is not currently dense enough to support
liquid water, and hasn't been for billions of years.

Oh really?

Yes, really. The density of the Martian atmosphere is only 1% of Earth.

http://panteltje.com/panteltje/space...lake2color.jpg
from:

Link not currently working.

get a better PC

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/obj...objectid=34508
more detail, true color:

Not true color. It is an RGBi image, taken with color filters.

Look up the discussion in sci.astro about this, this camera, the
processing,
the scanning method and the filters AND THIS PICTURE with somebody from
ESA
and me.
Then learn about cameras, electronics, pictures in general and how to
click
on a link.

Excuse me? The link I provided and the text below come straight from the
ESA Mars Express web site. If you have a problem with their explanation,
take it up with them. As for sci.astro, I'm a regular there, as well as a
regular in sci.geo.geology and in alt.sci.planetary. Obviously, your claim
to know something about "cameras, electronics, and pictures in general"
leaves a lot to be desired since you apparently don't understand the basic
concept of an RGBi digital image, and how they are composed. But then,
given your emotional outbursts here when someone corrects your claims, I
can't expect that you would admit your error even if the designer of the
camera pointed it out to you.

The colour channels are absolutely real, but they do not reflect the true
colour as we would see it with our eyes. These views can be obtained by
processing the data, which does not mean 'faking' the colours, but
fitting
them to standard spectral curves which we know. We adjust the obtained
colour image data to a standard spectral curve derived from Earth-based
observations in terms of wavelength and intensity.

Blubber, green = green filter in the visible range.

Take it up with the ESA, Jan. That is their explanation.

[...]

You should ask your school for a refund. Obviously, they've ripped you
off.

Your postings sucks.
And that is also a qualified opinion.
Byeeeeee!

Umm, ok. Whatever you say. Jeez, Jan, what a loser you are.

George

Old February 22nd 06, 02:54 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:15:06 GMT) it happened "George"
wrote in utZKf.783478$x96.133391@attbi_s72:

Look up the discussion in sci.astro about this, this camera, the
processing,
the scanning method and the filters AND THIS PICTURE with somebody from
ESA
and me.
Then learn about cameras, electronics, pictures in general and how to
click
on a link.

Excuse me? The link I provided and the text below come straight from the
ESA Mars Express web site. If you have a problem with their explanation,
take it up with them. As for sci.astro, I'm a regular there,

There are many regulars there and I for some; don't want to know their stuff.

as well as a
regular in sci.geo.geology and in alt.sci.planetary.

Hopefully not the same crap.

Obviously, your claim
to know something about "cameras, electronics, and pictures in general"
leaves a lot to be desired since you apparently don't understand the basic
concept of an RGBi digital image, and how they are composed.

Hey, must have been sleep programming this morning. strange the colors
are correct in this result.

But then,
given your emotional outbursts here when someone corrects your claims,

Oh shut up, you know NOTHING of cameras and color processing, NOTHING.
All you can do is parrot some links you have read.
I designed my first video camera in 1968.. and then it was not as easy
as with buying a CMOS or CCD sensor, there were none, and digitized the
first picture in 1979 and for that I designed the digitizer too.
And many things after that.. until and including today.
So get a life, and LEARN from someone who KNWOS this stuff inside and out,
software and electronics, I design and write the stuff many people use TODAY.

Get a life.
You'r clueless.
Old February 22nd 06, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

[...]

Obviously, you don't know a lot.

as well as a
regular in sci.geo.geology and in alt.sci.planetary.

Hopefully not the same crap.

Obviously, your claim
to know something about "cameras, electronics, and pictures in general"
leaves a lot to be desired since you apparently don't understand the
basic
concept of an RGBi digital image, and how they are composed.

Hey, must have been sleep programming this morning. strange the colors
are correct in this result.

I hope you don't sleep when you drive as well.

But then,
given your emotional outbursts here when someone corrects your claims,

Oh shut up, you know NOTHING of cameras and color processing, NOTHING.

Thanks for proving my point.

All you can do is parrot some links you have read.

Like I said, if you have a problem with the explanation that the ESA gives
for how the Mars Express camera works, take it up with them. Are you
telling me that you know more about their camera than they do? If so, why
don't you apply for a job with them? That way you won't spend all your
time posting bull**** on usenet.

I designed my first video camera in 1968.. and then it was not as easy
as with buying a CMOS or CCD sensor, there were none, and digitized the
first picture in 1979 and for that I designed the digitizer too.
And many things after that.. until and including today.
So get a life, and LEARN from someone who KNWOS this stuff inside and
out,
software and electronics, I design and write the stuff many people use
TODAY.

Get a life.
You'r clueless.

Please explain how your alleged "expertize" in cameras gives you expertize
to describe planetary features on Mars. Given your inability to understand
RGBi images, and how they are created (despite your claim to be an
"expert), it is a cinch that you understand even less about geology.
Please limit your response to 1,000 words or less (or not at all, as the
case may be).

George

Old February 23rd 06, 10:00 AM posted to sci.astro,alt.sci.planetary,sci.geo.geology

In article Er3Lf.784008$x96.686131@attbi_s72, George wrote:
Please explain how your alleged "expertize" in cameras gives you expertize

... in spelling?

I was particularly amused by the way that Panties "digitised the
first picture in 1979" when there were commercial picture digitising
machines in the 1920s (for facsimile transmitting pictures into/ out of news
services), and I think the prototypes came from the 1890s.

--
Aidan Karley FGS
Aberdeen, Scotland,