Explanation for unusual sighting

Old August 9th 04, 10:42 PM
steve sawyer

Default Explanation for unusual sighting

Last night (Aug 8) at about 11:30 PST I saw a very unusual thing appearing
to be either crusing by or coming out of an area of space close to the
constellation of Casseopia.

It had the flight characteristics of an orbiting spacecraft except it became
exceptionally bright, something similar to a aircraft's landing lights as
seen from approximately half a mile. This lasted for approximately 5 seconds
after which the light diminished in its intensity. Then the object once
again took on the appearance of a conventional satellite and was visible for
about another 5 seconds before disappearing from view.
The intensity of the light was much much more then the typical shimmering
you see when observing spinning satellites as they reflect sunlight.
Did anybody witness this, or can anybody offer any possible explanations?

Steve

Old August 9th 04, 11:59 PM
Tom McDonald

steve sawyer wrote:

Last night (Aug 8) at about 11:30 PST I saw a very unusual thing appearing
to be either crusing by or coming out of an area of space close to the
constellation of Casseopia.

It had the flight characteristics of an orbiting spacecraft except it became
exceptionally bright, something similar to a aircraft's landing lights as
seen from approximately half a mile. This lasted for approximately 5 seconds
after which the light diminished in its intensity. Then the object once
again took on the appearance of a conventional satellite and was visible for
about another 5 seconds before disappearing from view.
The intensity of the light was much much more then the typical shimmering
you see when observing spinning satellites as they reflect sunlight.
Did anybody witness this, or can anybody offer any possible explanations?

Steve

Steve,

Sounds like it might have been an Iridium flare. They can get
very bright, and last from 5 to perhaps 20 seconds. Here's a
site that predicts when flares can be seen at particular locations:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

This site explains the flares (which *are* from satellites, a
special type though):

http://satobs.org/iridium.html

--
Tom McDonald
Old August 10th 04, 12:06 AM
Mad Scientist

steve sawyer wrote:

Last night (Aug 8) at about 11:30 PST I saw a very unusual thing appearing
to be either crusing by or coming out of an area of space close to the
constellation of Casseopia.

It had the flight characteristics of an orbiting spacecraft except it became
exceptionally bright, something similar to a aircraft's landing lights as
seen from approximately half a mile. This lasted for approximately 5 seconds
after which the light diminished in its intensity. Then the object once
again took on the appearance of a conventional satellite and was visible for
about another 5 seconds before disappearing from view.
The intensity of the light was much much more then the typical shimmering
you see when observing spinning satellites as they reflect sunlight.
Did anybody witness this, or can anybody offer any possible explanations?

Steve

Don't bother asking astronomers for help in understanding UFO's. They
haven't a clue. They always answer that UFO's are either satellites,
meteors, or mistaken airplanes. They *never* say that UFO's exist.

Old August 10th 04, 02:07 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...

steve sawyer wrote:

[...]

Incorrect. Sometimes "UFO's" are just flocks of birds or incoming spacejunk,
and surprisingly often, Venus.

Astronomers spend a lot of time looking at the sky, and see spacecraft quite
often. However all spacecraft come from Earth.

Astronomers just don't get confused by bright lights in the sky, and usually
know what they are looking at.

As Tom already said, It was probably an Iridium flare. I enjoy looking for
them.

Old August 10th 04, 02:07 AM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:42:14 +0000, steve sawyer wrote:

Last night (Aug 8) at about 11:30 PST I saw a very unusual thing appearing
to be either crusing by or coming out of an area of space close to the
constellation of Casseopia.

(snip)

Did anybody witness this, or can anybody offer any possible explanations?

Steve

Most likely an Iridium flare.

Old August 10th 04, 02:08 AM
Mad Scientist

steve sawyer wrote:

[...]

The above imbecile attempts to speak english but my barking dog proves
he has a higher IQ than this imbecile.

Old August 10th 04, 02:22 AM
Mad Scientist

Remember anything that moves in the heavens is either a manmade
satellite or mistaken flock of birds or even bad eyesight mistaking
Venus for a UFO according to dumbass astronomers.

Old August 10th 04, 02:28 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
Remember anything that moves in the heavens is either a manmade
satellite or mistaken flock of birds or even bad eyesight mistaking
Venus for a UFO

What do you know, you *can* learn. Only 5 minutes ago I told you that
flocks of birds and Venus get mistaken for UFO's and here you are
remembering what I told you. Rememeber how I taught you to use the word
blowhard, too?

according to dumbass astronomers.

Aww, poor kook. Hates his reality bubble being pricked by his betters.

Old August 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Mad Scientist

Wally Dumbasssea wrote:

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...

Remember anything that moves in the heavens is either a manmade
satellite or mistaken flock of birds or even bad eyesight mistaking
Venus for a UFO

What do you know, you *can* learn. Only 5 minutes ago I told you that
flocks of birds and Venus get mistaken for UFO's and here you are
remembering what I told you. Rememeber how I taught you to use the word
blowhard, too?

I am not into queerboy sex like you and your imbecile queerboy friends.

Old August 10th 04, 02:53 AM
Tom McDonald

Mad Scientist wrote:

Wally Dumbasssea wrote:

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...

Remember anything that moves in the heavens is either a manmade
satellite or mistaken flock of birds or even bad eyesight mistaking
Venus for a UFO

What do you know, you *can* learn. Only 5 minutes ago I told you that
flocks of birds and Venus get mistaken for UFO's and here you are
remembering what I told you. Rememeber how I taught you to use the word
blowhard, too?

I am not into queerboy sex like you and your imbecile queerboy friends.

MS,

Really? I must say I'm disappointed. You sound like a real
tight ass. We could have made such special man-love.

Ah, well. It's a disappointment I'll recover from, in time.

:-)

Tom McDonald