Coolpix digital camera setup / Lunar observing session

Old March 13th 04, 10:23 PM
orion94nl

Default Coolpix digital camera setup / Lunar observing session

I regularly get e-mails from people that want to know more about the
digital camera set-up I use. Today I have published an article in
my equipment section about the two cameras' I use(d) , the Nikon
Coolpix 4500 and the Nikon Coolpix 775. In the article you will
find a photo album containing 16 images in which you can see
how the Nikon Coolpix 4500 is connected to the telescope, using
digital camera adaptors from Vixen and ScopeTronix.
You will also find some links to some images and the digital_astro
yahoo group. Follow this link to read the full article:

http://www.backyard-astro.com/equipm...cessories.html

and choose "Digital camera Nikon Coolpix 775/4500

I also added a lunar observing session with digital pics from a
3-day-old crescent Moon to my solar system section. Before
getting out the telescope I enjoyed the Moon standing together
with Venus in the late afternoon. I shot a nice image of this even
t and included it in my observing log. Later that evening I got out
my telescope and observed the 3-day-old moon.

It was the first time ever I saw the Dorsae in Mare Crisium. The
features I observed that evening were Mare Humboldtianum,
Mare Marginis, Promontorium Agarum, Dorsa Harker, Dorsum
Termier, Messala, Dorsa Tetyaev, Germinus, Burckhardt,
Cleomedes, Langrenus, Gauss, Furnerius, Petavius, Vendelinus,
Palitzsch, Fraunhofer, Vegea and Peirescius.
They all can be identified on the big digital image I included in the
observing report. To read the full report and have a look at
the images, just follow this link:

http://www.backyard-astro.com/solar/.../20040223.html

Enjoy!

Math
http://www.backyard-astro.com

Old March 14th 04, 03:49 AM
Szaki

Nice website, congratulation!
Have you done any Deep Sky shots with the coolpix 4500, since it has a bulb
setting of 5 minuts, but it's not a cooled camera? All I see, is Moon
pictures, short exposure.

Thanks, Julius

Old March 14th 04, 12:05 PM
orion94nl

Hi Szaki,

I didn't do any deep sky shots yet. I'm still practising all the camera
settings (have got the camera only two months now) with the Moon. In
time I will give it a try with deepsky, but I think I don't have the
right mount for deepsky photography.

Clear Skies
Math

http://www.backyard-astro.com

Old March 15th 04, 01:43 PM
Jon Isaacs

I didn't do any deep sky shots yet. I'm still practising all the camera
settings (have got the camera only two months now) with the Moon. In
time I will give it a try with deepsky, but I think I don't have the
right mount for deepsky photography.

Clear Skies

Widefield views taken from a fixed tripod can be pretty nice, no telescope
involved, just the camera.

jon