There is no such thing as...

Old January 5th 11, 10:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default There is no such thing as...

Royal society empiricists never understood their own system let alone
the original astronomical methods and insights that got mangled,mainly
through Isaac Newton's strain of empiricism.I can't say I am an
indifferent observer as it does effect how the rest of the world views
astronomy,as it is the dominant view,but I have always been slightly
surprised that readers have not understood what Isaac was trying to do
and how he did it.Despite appearances,there is no such thing as pro or
anti-relativists,just mainly people lost in Newton's maze which I have
explained umpteen times to no effect or so it seems.

Briefly,retrogrades are an illusion caused by the Earth's orbital
motion,in the following time lapse footage the Earth overtakes the
slower moving Jupiter and Saturn in our and their respective orbits
and distances from the Sun,the closer Jupiter has a longer retrograde
arc as it takes longer to overtake than Saturn,the luminosity
variations are greater as the Earth approaches the planets and all the
signatures of a moving Earth around the central Sun -

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

I do not know what you people think you are doing,but this happens to
be the main,I repeat,the main argument for the Earth's orbital motion
once retrogrades are understood for the type of illusion they are.

What Isaac Newton tried to do was split retrogrades into Earthbound
observations that are resolved by modeling,specifically a hypothetical
observer on the Sun and anyone who accepts the resolution without
thinking the matter through is as loathsome as the resolution itself -

"For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct, sometimes
stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun they are
always seen direct,..." Newton

What he tried to do was make the Ra/Dec framework common for his
relative space and motion (Earth observations) and his absolute space
and motion (modeling/hypothetical observer) by misusing the predictive
convenience of the calendar based equatorial coordinate system which
attempts to shove the Earth's daily and orbital motions into right
ascension.

I look at all these threads where people cut themselves to pieces on
account of the guys 100 years ago who were just not good enough to
figure out what Isaac was doing,exploited the worst distortions Newton
already introduced and snap at each other over a wordplay that goes
nowhere.I don't think much of those who can't work through the
geometric distortions Newton introduced,never cared if they ever
understood the astronomical implications of what they believe,or
rather imagine but that stuff is childsplay for an astronomer with
familiarity.

Relativity indeed !,the idea of human control over time is best left
on the science fiction section of the bookstore where it came from in
1898.

Old January 9th 11, 03:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On Jan 5, 4:14*pm, oriel36 wrote:
Royal society empiricists never understood their own system let alone
the original astronomical methods ..." Much of Gerrie's silly and mistaken foolishness snipped.

You know...I don't visit poor old s.a.a. often anymore. I do stop by
once in a while, though. I can't help but hope I'll hit it on a day
when the spammers and psychotics have taken a holiday. Alas, that
never happens. See y'all on the flip-flop. ;-)
Old January 9th 11, 04:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jan 5, 3:14*pm, oriel36 wrote:
Royal society empiricists never understood their own system

Are you sure? After all, since they are presumably the people best
equipped to understand it, if it was their own, isn't this an
admission that you, at least, don't understand it?

I suppose, instead, that you are claiming to understand it, and to
know that it was self-contradictory and that they failed to follow it
properly for that reason.

John Savard
Old January 14th 11, 02:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 1/5/11 4:14 PM, oriel36 wrote:
Relativity indeed !,the idea of human control over time is best left
on the science fiction section of the bookstore where it came from in
1898.

Relativity is an observational fact, Gerald. We measure the effects
with our space probe to other planets.

Consider persons with identical clocks. Call them A and B.

Let ∆t_A be an interval of proper time in the inertial frame
of reference of A, say one second. Let ∆t_A' be A's time interval
as measured by an observer, B.

Using special relativity
∆t_A' = γ ∆t_A

Where v is the relative velocity between muon and Earth Surface and
γ = 1/√(1-v^2/c^2)

_________________

Let ∆t_B be an interval of proper time in the inertial frame
of reference of B, say one second. Let ∆t_B' be B's time interval
as measured by an observer, A.

Using special relativity
∆t_B' = γ ∆t_B

The thing is... John Crane[_2_] Policy 4 February 4th 10 10:34 PM
The thing is... David Spain History 2 February 4th 10 01:01 PM
One more other thing! Ragin' Steve Chaney Misc 1 February 3rd 07 07:49 PM
What is that thing? Steve Amateur Astronomy 9 November 26th 03 05:45 AM
What is this thing on the 747? Chuck Stewart Space Shuttle 29 September 11th 03 04:41 AM