Good Spectrographic Results from the NEO Whitely Catalog

Old August 19th 10, 04:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy
American

Default Good Spectrographic Results from the NEO Whitely Catalog

On Aug 18, 7:07*pm, American wrote:
On Aug 18, 6:00*pm, Saul Levy wrote:

Toilets are FOR ****!

More yours than mine.

Saul Levy

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:19:29 -0700 (PDT), American

wrote:
On Aug 18, 4:55*pm, Saul Levy wrote:
I did it for you.

This data should NOT BE POSTED HERE. *The original source should be
given and anyone interested can look there.

You're as bad as ED DUMBER THAN ELEPHANT ****.

Saul Levy

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:27:28 -0700 (PDT), American

wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:11*pm, Saul Levy wrote:
Could you CUT THIS **** DOWN next time?

Saul Levy
That only works in your perfect world of automatic conjecture,
which in your case, doesn't ever achieve the desired result of
personal satisfaction, albeit I am quite entertained by your
relentless disconnect with the real issues of the day being
just ELEPHANT s**t.

Go resize your toilet - I think your brains just fell inside...

he he he

A new, clean bowl with fresh water in it makes a fine
Saul-skull, as far as I'm concerned!!!

No, Usenet is not a toilet - it's just the rhetoricizers like
Saul-skulls that make it all the more hilarious!!!

STOP CLOUDING THE TOILETBOWL!!!

I purposefully posted the data to point out the absurdity
by being absurd - it's called "the theatre of the absurd",
so please don't dissent towards your own newsgroup!!!

(Maybe you should try looking elsewhere for your own
"jollies" and starting another newsgroup, e.g. alt.puff.waterpipes
or alt.society.lobotomy

he he he he... * * ...get over it....

American

"He has to part his hair with an axe"

I have created a link to an asteroid mining page he

http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining.htm

This represents a general treatment of asteroids, with regard to
minerology and spectral reflectivity, emissivity, etc., and was
written at a time that these values were easily available in
the national online databases.

Today it would seem that the data is a bit cryptic, as I'm not
sure that there is any one program where the values given for
the different filters and settings could automatically output a
given transmissibility, or even reflectivity.

The focus of my interest is on the NEA metallic asteroids,
and I will offer to exchange some important information about
SAR mapping if someone could offer me how to interpret the
data given for the NEO's in the Whitely catalog, as previously
mentioned. The link for the Whitely catalog is:

http://starbrite.jpl.nasa.gov/pds/vi...ELEY-PHOT-V1.0

Thanks,

American

"A genius can do almost anything except make a living."
Old August 21st 10, 02:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy,alt.astronomy
American

Default Spectral Reflectances of Platinum Pulled from Older Database

http://starbrite.jpl.nasa.gov/pds/vi...EAR-A-I0034-3-....

Thanks,

American

"A genius can do almost anything except make a living."

O.K., Saul Levy, I've shortened the post!!!

Here is a copy of an older spectral database that dates back to
1998. The reflectances should still be the same, so I have
created a series of charts from the data by copying and pasting
with MS paint, in order to shorten the sifting process.

See reference [1] for each of the four asteroids in question. The
chart on the right side in the middle of the page shows a list for
all of the asteroids that were photographed. There are perhaps
50 or so asteroids per chart, but only one data point on the entire
list has been circled in red. This is the asteroid in question.

The asteroids number is on the left side of the group, and the
column # is listed across the top of the page. The reason there
are 15 columns is because there are 15 different reflectances
given per asteroid, according to some wavelength, with a margin
of error, usually around 3% - 10%.

In particular, look at columns 12, 13, and 14 for the reflectance of
interest: the platinum and gold wavelength for reflectances lie in
the
0.670 - 0.730 range[1] for each asteroids in question. This is
where I have circled the number in red.

As one can see, the numbers are there to support my contention
that they MIGHT BE metal-rich asteroids, due to the value of
reflectance given to them.

Out of all of the asteroids listed in the 24-color spectrophotometry
data list, 4 asteroids, #262 has a reflectivity of 0.77, #660 has a
reflectivity of 0.71, #1019 has a reflectivity of 0.77, and #1646 has
a reflectivity of 0.79.

Based upon the reflectance of "pure platinum", only one asteroid,
#660, has a reflectivity in the range of interest. The others (#262,
#1019, and #1646), all have "close" values, which may have
something to do with either the uncertainties (~1%-3%) or the
purity of Pt concentrates in the regolith itself.

Some details on the asteroids are as follows:

#262 Valda is a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars)
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...=0;cad=0# orb
# 660 Crescentia is also a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars)
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...=0;c ad=0#orb
#1019 Strackea is an inner main belt asteroid (NEA just outside Mars)
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...=0;ca d=0#orb
#1646 Rosseland is a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars):
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...=0;c ad=0#orb

At closest approach, #262 Valda is ~2X distance from Mars to earth.
At closest approach, # 660 Crescentia is 2X(+) distance from " ".
At closest approach, #1019 Strackea is about 2X distance " ".
At closest approach, #1646 Rosseland is about 2X(+) distance " ".

And then my favorite, the platinum asteroid, Amun:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...og=0;cad=0#orb

Amun makes an NEO approach in 2011, and many times thereafter...

American

[1]

http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining1.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining2.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining3.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining4.htm

#660, has a reflectivity in the range of interest. The others (#262,
#1019, and #1646), all have "close" values, which may have

#262 Valda is a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars)
#1019 Strackea is an inner main belt asteroid (NEA just outside Mars)
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...=0;ca d=0#orb
#1646 Rosseland is a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars):

http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining1a.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining2a.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining3a.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/mining4a.htm

#660, has a reflectivity in the range of interest. The others (#262,
#1019, and #1646), all have "close" values, which may have

#262 Valda is a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars)http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...;cov=0;log=0;c...
# 660 Crescentia is also a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars)http://ssd..jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?ss...orb=1;cov=0;lo...
#1019 Strackea is an inner main belt asteroid (NEA just outside Mars)http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...rb=1;cov=0;log...
#1646 Rosseland is a main belt asteroid (NEA beyond Mars):http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...orb=1;cov=0;lo...

At closest approach, #262 Valda is ~2X distance from Mars to earth.
At closest approach, # 660 Crescentia is 2X(+) distance from " ".
At closest approach, #1019 Strackea is about 2X distance " ".
At closest approach, #1646 Rosseland is about 2X(+) distance " ".

And then my favorite, the platinum asteroid, Amun:http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sst...og=0;cad=0#orb

Amun makes an NEO approach in 2011, and many times thereafter...

American

[1]

http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_rans...m/mining4a.htm

"The vast economic potential of asteroids and other extraterrestrial
bodies is the subject of Mining the Sky. John S. Lewis, co-director
of the NASA/University of Arizona Space Engineering Research
Center, argues that the payoff from space exploration will be bigger
than virtually anyone has recognized. Much bigger.

Consider: The asteroid belt contains an estimated 825 quintillion
(a billion times a billion) tons of iron--enough to build shells
around
planets, gigantic cities in space, and starships carrying entire
civilizations. How much is this iron worth? Lewis performs a
fanciful
calculation: At present prices of around $50 a ton, the asteroids
yield $7 billion of the metal per person for everyone alive today,
or
an affluent standard of living for a population far larger.
Moreover,
iron is merely one element found in the Main Belt, which also
contains gold, silver, copper, manganese, titanium, uranium,
and much else.

Nor does the Main Belt have a monopoly on space's potential
riches. Mining the Sky ranges broadly across the solar system,
finding technological and economic possibilities all the way from
the moon and "near-Earth" asteroids to the distant orbits of
Uranus and Neptune. Lewis sometimes blurs the distinction
between near-term technologies and distant or improbable ones,
an effect that is intensified by the book's fictional vignettes
about
asteroid miners and other colorful characters. Nonetheless,
Mining the Sky succeeds in conveying a sense that space is
anything but an empty, unimprovable wasteland. . . . Eventually,
Mars, the asteroids, and the rest of the solar system may have
been explored and settled. What then? Mining the Sky ends
with a call for humanity to expand throughout the entire galaxy,
creating a population of countless quintillions; Lewis's sheer
maximalism may discomfit even some space enthusiasts."

- Kenneth Silber

John E. Lewis was the Codirector, NASA, U. of Arizona Space
Engineering Research Center. How much influence do people
like John S. Lewis have, as Commissioner of the Arizona State
Space Commission, with the way that Kitt Peak Observatory
provides access to their findings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._Lewis
Lewis' web page: http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/people/faculty/lewis2.html

My guess is probably moreso with Kitt Peak, rather than the
NASA Infrared Telescope Facility in Mauna Kea, HI.

The HI facility is the one where the Whitely catalog has
acquired the 8-filter option under cryptic, if not impossible to
extract, information, on not only the reflectances, but also the
minerology, of a much vaster magnitude of both NEA's and
main belt asteroids.

American

"The chief end of men uniting into commonwealth and sub-
mission unto government is for the preservation of property."