IC 5067 - Pelican Emission Nebula in Cygnus

Old July 16th 08, 12:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_3_]

Default IC 5067 - Pelican Emission Nebula in Cygnus

Dear group ... and oriel,

A few nights ago I sat down to pursue the Pelican nebula in Cygnus. I
was debating between the widefield version (IC 5070) using my Tak FSQ
and the narrowfield version (IC 5067) using my AP160.

As is often the case, my AP160 prevailed (okay, I am biased) and I
went after the known area involving the neck of the pelican and which
is characterized with tendrils. I was disappointed at my operating
temperature (-2.5d Celsius, 93% capacity) but then beggars can't be
choosers.

For a result based on nearly 4.5 hours using luminance layering, I
kindly direct you to http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-IC-5067.htm. My
camera is quite weak in the red and the high operating temperature
made processing an interesting exercise and challenge.

Clear skies!

Anthony.
Old July 16th 08, 02:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear group ... and oriel,

A few nights ago I sat down to pursue the Pelican nebula in Cygnus. I
was debating between the widefield version (IC 5070) using my Tak FSQ
and the narrowfield version (IC 5067) using my AP160.

As is often the case, my AP160 prevailed (okay, I am biased) and I
went after the known area involving the neck of the pelican and which
is characterized with tendrils. I was disappointed at my operating
temperature (-2.5d Celsius, 93% capacity) but then beggars can't be
choosers.

For a result based on nearly 4.5 hours using luminance layering, I
kindly direct you to http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-IC-5067.htm. My
camera is quite weak in the red and the high operating temperature
made processing an interesting exercise and challenge.

Clear skies!

Clear skies, indeed. Great photo! What slays me is that you made the
exposures over a period of four hours and 35 minutes ALL IN THE SAME
NIGHT. I would count myself lucky to get that much integration time
within the same YEAR!

My little zerbatory is closed for modifications to the structure but
the Pelican is on my target list when I reopen it in a week or so.

The only photo I have made of the Pelican is at
http://www.primordial-light.com/deepsky.html. Note that it is a
simple Ha photo made of 10-minute sub-frames and I still needed a week
to get sufficient integration time to produce a photo with an
acceptable noise level. Close inspection of the full-size image shows
that a bit more integration time wouldn't hurt. Maybe I can use my Ha
for the red channel. Yeah! I'll get the green channel this season,
perhaps the blue next year, some luminance in 2010... Sigh.

Thanks for sharing yet another of your masterworks!

Davoud

--
Don't re-elect the past. Vote for the futu Obama in 2008!

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 16th 08, 08:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_3_]

Hi Davoud,

The period between May and October (inclusive) each year is quite good
and it allows all-nighters without much problem. In fact, September
and October are really fun since one can rely on roughly ten hours of
darkness between the end of astro twilight and its onset the following
morning which means feasting (ie. productivity) at its best.

I apologize for making the above comments and, thus, aggravating your
pain. :-)

I like your comments about the multi-yr effort surrounding your LRGB
version of the Pelican. :-)

Anthony.

Old July 16th 08, 03:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AM

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Dear group ... and oriel,

A few nights ago I sat down to pursue the Pelican nebula in Cygnus. I
was debating between the widefield version (IC 5070) using my Tak FSQ
and the narrowfield version (IC 5067) using my AP160.

As is often the case, my AP160 prevailed (okay, I am biased) and I
went after the known area involving the neck of the pelican and which
is characterized with tendrils. I was disappointed at my operating
temperature (-2.5d Celsius, 93% capacity) but then beggars can't be
choosers.

For a result based on nearly 4.5 hours using luminance layering, I
kindly direct you to http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-IC-5067.htm. My
camera is quite weak in the red and the high operating temperature
made processing an interesting exercise and challenge.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

WoW, thanx for sharing

AM
Old July 16th 08, 10:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Beta Persei

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" ha scritto nel messaggio
Dear group ... and oriel,

A few nights ago I sat down to pursue the Pelican nebula in Cygnus. I
was debating between the widefield version (IC 5070) using my Tak FSQ
and the narrowfield version (IC 5067) using my AP160.

A superb shot as usual, Anthony. Bravo!

As is often the case, my AP160 prevailed (okay, I am biased) and I
went after the known area involving the neck of the pelican and which
is characterized with tendrils. I was disappointed at my operating
temperature (-2.5d Celsius, 93% capacity) but then beggars can't be
choosers.

Well, you were still 33 degs below ambient temperature, not bad indeed...

For a result based on nearly 4.5 hours using luminance layering, I
kindly direct you to http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-IC-5067.htm. My
camera is quite weak in the red and the high operating temperature
made processing an interesting exercise and challenge.

Clear skies!

Thanks for sharing Anthony and thanks for the wishes...I do need some clear
sky and the time to enjoy it.
--------
Beta Persei
45° 35' N