The Rough Road To Space

Old June 19th 08, 09:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default The Rough Road To Space

Why Ares/Orion is not like the Interstate Highway System:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-rough-road-to-space/
Old June 19th 08, 09:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
American

On Jun 19, 4:17*pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
Why Ares/Orion is not like the Interstate Highway System:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-rough-road-to-space/

In the article you wrote:

"Sadly, the analogy fails in a way that would be laughable
if it weren’t so tragic. Perhaps this analogy might make
sense if the Interstate Highway System (IHS) were capable
of handling only one four-passenger car at a time (with the
passengers only employees of the government) a few times
a year at a cost of billions of dollars per cross-country trip,
and the cars had to be destroyed upon return."

Sure, with the Ares, that seems not too plausible.

Therefore,

Don't you remember the Mook posts for heavy lift "Orion"
type propulsion? (I've got some poop on that one)

After all, the key word here is "plausible".

Seems like there's no question of who's doing the real
spin here - it's those who can only expect a payoff of
tax dollars in the short term, not the long, R&D intensive
long one, for that matter.

IMO, that'd be a purely bureaucratic spin-kind-of-thing.

(But we're only scratching the surface here)

American
Old June 20th 08, 05:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Jun 19, 1:17 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
Why Ares/Orion is not like the Interstate Highway System:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-rough-road-to-space/

Instead of CATS(cheap access to space), we had our mutually
perpetrated cold wars that took many decades and cost the rest of us
trillions upon trillions of our hard earned loot. Now we have yet
another phony war that's mostly over Iraq oil and otherwise about
creating as much global energy inflation as possible. Go figure.

- Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth
Old June 20th 08, 11:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

On 20 Jun, 05:52, BradGuth wrote:
On Jun 19, 1:17 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:

Why Ares/Orion is not like the Interstate Highway System:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-rough-road-to-space/

Instead of CATS(cheap access to space), we had our mutually
perpetrated cold wars that took many decades and cost the rest of us
trillions upon trillions of our hard earned loot. *Now we have yet
another phony war that's mostly over Iraq oil and otherwise about
creating as much global energy inflation as possible. *Go figure.

- Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth

$140 a barrel! If the Iraq war was over oil it has been a spectacular
failure.

- Ian Parker
Old June 20th 08, 08:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 20 Jun 2008 12:14:53 -0700, in a place far, far away, A.Melon
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Rand Simberg wrote:

Why Ares/Orion is not like the Interstate Highway System:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-rough-road-to-space/

I have no sympathy for GW Bush's insane desire for space travel programs.

And we have no sympathy for your insane Bush derangement, and
inability to follow the point of an essay.