RAINBOW COLORED STAR!?

Old December 3rd 03, 07:39 AM
Odysseus

yechidah wrote:

Interesting, since there do not appear to be those that reflect the
DESCRIPTIONS of this star here.

So - either someone is *stretching the truth* about the colors

or no one has yet found a way to photograph Sirius in all its beauty and
multi-strands of color............

AS NO PHOTOS I HAVE SEEN YET REFLECT the descriptions posted.

For one thing, the "twinkling" effect occurs over time, so you'd need
a movie, rather than a still photo, to capture the effect. For
another, the atmospheric conditions that produce the most spectacular
scintillations are exactly those that will make for a blurry,
distorted image that no-one's likely to want to show off on the
Internet. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but neither can
replace first-hand experience.

--
Odysseus
Old December 3rd 03, 05:13 PM
yechidah

I see. Then why did you suggest to seek out photos from the internet if you
knew that the quality could never do justice to the real thing?

hrmph.

YS

"Odysseus" wrote in message
yechidah wrote:

Interesting, since there do not appear to be those that reflect the
DESCRIPTIONS of this star here.

So - either someone is *stretching the truth* about the colors

or no one has yet found a way to photograph Sirius in all its beauty and
multi-strands of color............

AS NO PHOTOS I HAVE SEEN YET REFLECT the descriptions posted.

For one thing, the "twinkling" effect occurs over time, so you'd need
a movie, rather than a still photo, to capture the effect. For
another, the atmospheric conditions that produce the most spectacular
scintillations are exactly those that will make for a blurry,
distorted image that no-one's likely to want to show off on the
Internet. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but neither can
replace first-hand experience.

--
Odysseus

---

Old December 4th 03, 02:08 PM
Steve

BenignVanilla wrote:
I checked out Sirius the other night and was floored. It is amazing
how much the colors sparkle on this star. Bringing the scope out of
focus created an amazing color show.

Yeah, I was driving on the motorway late at night and the colour show was
amazing :-)

Steve

--
www.frontierastro.co.uk

FrontierAstro - dedicated to Frontier and Astronomy

Old December 4th 03, 10:51 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 21:03:45 GMT, "yechidah"
wrote:

no photos, eh?

He
http://www.solstation.com/stars/sirius2.htm

But you won't see "rainbows" because photo's don't capture the
scintillations. OK?
Satisfied now?

"Steve" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
I checked out Sirius the other night and was floored. It is amazing
how much the colors sparkle on this star. Bringing the scope out of
focus created an amazing color show.

Yeah, I was driving on the motorway late at night and the colour show was
amazing :-)

Steve

--
www.frontierastro.co.uk

FrontierAstro - dedicated to Frontier and Astronomy

---

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old December 5th 03, 05:27 AM
yechidah

"Wally AngleseaT" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

no photos, eh?

He
http://www.solstation.com/stars/sirius2.htm

But you won't see "rainbows" because photo's don't capture the
scintillations. OK?
Satisfied now?

No. There are scintillation cameras. I'm sure someone, somewhere has been
experimenting with photographing sirius using such equipment. You just
haven't been informed of this, is all.

YS

---

Old December 5th 03, 05:30 AM
yechidah

Here's an interesting site:

http://www.sirius-astrophotography.c...rime_focus.htm

Now that I know what to look for in my search, it makes things much easier.

Thanks for keying me in on the scintillation factor.

YS

"Wally AngleseaT" wrote in
message ...

Old December 5th 03, 06:13 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 04:27:43 GMT, "yechidah"
wrote:

"Wally AngleseaT" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

no photos, eh?

He
http://www.solstation.com/stars/sirius2.htm

But you won't see "rainbows" because photo's don't capture the
scintillations. OK?
Satisfied now?

No. There are scintillation cameras. I'm sure someone, somewhere has been
experimenting with photographing sirius using such equipment. You just
haven't been informed of this, is all.

YS

When you find a scintillation camera, I'll be interested. Really.

Old December 5th 03, 08:58 AM
Odysseus

yechidah wrote:

I see. Then why did you suggest to seek out photos from the internet if you
knew that the quality could never do justice to the real thing?

Sorry; since you didn't mention the twinkling effect in your message
body, I didn't consider your request for images of Sirius in the
specific context of the subject line.

--
Odysseus
Old December 7th 03, 12:18 AM
yechidah

"Wally AngleseaT" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 04:27:43 GMT, "yechidah"
wrote:

"Wally AngleseaT" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

no photos, eh?

He
http://www.solstation.com/stars/sirius2.htm

But you won't see "rainbows" because photo's don't capture the
scintillations. OK?
Satisfied now?

No. There are scintillation cameras. I'm sure someone, somewhere has been
experimenting with photographing sirius using such equipment. You just
haven't been informed of this, is all.

YS

When you find a scintillation camera, I'll be interested. Really.

Google brought up 18,700 hits on scintillation camera -
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...llation+camera

YS

---