converting coordinates

Old May 31st 04, 05:45 AM
J. Jason Fry

Default converting coordinates

Hey, guys. I feel stupid at not being able to remember these formulas, but
math is not my strength. Can someone give me the formula (again) for
converting latitude/longitude coordinates from 00.0000 degrees to 00 degrees
00 minutes 00 seconds, and vice-versa! I've actually asked this once
before, and got a clear answer, but I forgot to save the info.

Thanks for your help.

Jason Fry
Computer & Math Doofus

Old May 31st 04, 06:16 AM
J. Jason Fry

I just found the answer to my question. multplying .0000 by 60, and then
00.00 again by 60 and dividing by 60 for vice versa.

Thanks,
Jason

m...

Old May 31st 04, 09:32 AM
Roger Hamlett

"J. Jason Fry" wrote in message
m...
Hey, guys. I feel stupid at not being able to remember these formulas,

but
math is not my strength. Can someone give me the formula (again) for
converting latitude/longitude coordinates from 00.0000 degrees to 00

degrees
00 minutes 00 seconds, and vice-versa! I've actually asked this once
before, and got a clear answer, but I forgot to save the info.

Thanks for your help.

Jason Fry
Computer & Math Doofus

Degrees part is the same in both directions, and is the integer part shown.
Taking part after decimal point, multiply by sixty. Integer part is the
number of minutes. Again take the part after the decimal point, and multiply
by sixty. Result is number of seconds.
So:

20.2346 degrees.
Integer part = 20 degrees.
..2346 * 60 = 14.076
Integer part = 14 minutes.
..076 * 60 = 4.56 seconds

Going the other way, you just repeatedly divide each part by 60, and add the
values. So:
4.56 / 60 = 0.076 minutes. Add the 14 minutes = 14.076 minutes.
14.076 / 60 = .2346 degrees. Add the 20 degrees = 20.2346 degrees total.

Best Wishes

Old May 31st 04, 03:29 PM
Florian

Not the formula, but a website that will do the conversions for you...

http://www.directionsmag.com/latlong.asp

I'm math impared too so i use the webside.=20

-Florian

Old May 31st 04, 06:27 PM
J. Jason Fry

Thank all you guys for responding. Especially to you, Florian, for the
website. That is way cool.

Clear Skies!
Jason

m...