What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?

Old November 28th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

Default What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?

wrote in message
oups.com...

| Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer

But you snipped, you dumb cluck. More likely, humm, IMHO, you might
be a clueless idiot, maybe, could be, might be, IMHO.
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/

Old November 29th 06, 01:11 AM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Raghar

wrote:
VGer47 wrote:
Alfred Montestruc schreef:

snip

What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?
Anything that passes withing a lot less than an AU of the thing may

Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer and
he rudely did not bother to read since he is being a grouch today, the
hypervelocity star will cover the distance from Neptune to the sun in a
small fraction of a day (0.0746 days), Then the acceleration of the

About what are you talking? Would an object moving at FTL speeds
interact at all?

sun's gravity at the orbit of earth is about 0.00594 m/s/s based on it
being 9.81 on the earth's surface and using the proportions given in
the below website and that acceleration of gravity is proportional to
the mass of the object and the square of the distance from it.

gsun@earths orbit=9.81 x (msun/mearth)/(rad earth orbit/rad earth)^2

88920419 * k m/s^2

0.00586874767

Then we can with a lot of safety assume that the total acceleration of
the object passed by the hypervelocity star at 1 AU on closest approach
will be less than the total velocity change for 0.00594 m/s for 0.0746
days (6445 seconds).

That delta v is 38 m/s is tiddly winks set next to the earth's orbital
velocity of 29785 m/s.

Old November 29th 06, 06:52 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
[email protected]

Raghar wrote:
wrote:
VGer47 wrote:
Alfred Montestruc schreef:

snip

What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?
Anything that passes withing a lot less than an AU of the thing may

Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer and
he rudely did not bother to read since he is being a grouch today, the
hypervelocity star will cover the distance from Neptune to the sun in a
small fraction of a day (0.0746 days), Then the acceleration of the

About what are you talking? Would an object moving at FTL speeds
interact at all?

That (700km/sec) is not faster than light by a long shot. The speed of
light is 299,792 km/sec. The speeds we are discussing are less than 1%
of the speed of light. Look it up yourself if you doubt me.

sun's gravity at the orbit of earth is about 0.00594 m/s/s based on it
being 9.81 on the earth's surface and using the proportions given in
the below website and that acceleration of gravity is proportional to
the mass of the object and the square of the distance from it.

gsun@earths orbit=9.81 x (msun/mearth)/(rad earth orbit/rad earth)^2

88920419 * k m/s^2

0.00586874767

??????

Old November 29th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
[email protected]

Sorcerer wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

| Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer

But you snipped, you dumb cluck. More likely, humm, IMHO, you might
be a clueless idiot, maybe, could be, might be, IMHO.
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/

I see you are still Grumpy. Why don't you try being Happy, or Sneezy
for a while.

Old November 29th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

wrote in message oups.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| wrote in message
| oups.com...
|
| | Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer
|
| But you snipped, you dumb cluck. More likely, humm, IMHO, you might
| be a clueless idiot, maybe, could be, might be, IMHO.
| http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/
|

| I see you are still Grumpy. Why don't you try being Happy, or Sneezy
| for a while.

Why don't you borrrow a brain for a while? Or failing that, just shut up?

Old November 29th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Raghar

wrote:
Raghar wrote:
wrote:
Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer and
he rudely did not bother to read since he is being a grouch today, the
hypervelocity star will cover the distance from Neptune to the sun in a
small fraction of a day (0.0746 days), Then the acceleration of the

About what are you talking? Would an object moving at FTL speeds
interact at all?

That (700km/sec) is not faster than light by a long shot. The speed of
light is 299,792 km/sec. The speeds we are discussing are less than 1%
of the speed of light. Look it up yourself if you doubt me.

4504300 seconds for transit at speed 1000 km/s.

Do you have any problem with that number? It's aprox 104 days. 52 to
closest point, 52 from the closest point.

sun's gravity at the orbit of earth is about 0.00594 m/s/s based on it
being 9.81 on the earth's surface and using the proportions given in
the below website and that acceleration of gravity is proportional to
the mass of the object and the square of the distance from it.

gsun@earths orbit=9.81 x (msun/mearth)/(rad earth orbit/rad earth)^2

88920419 * k m/s^2

0.00586874767

??????

Six query marks?

Old November 29th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,soc.history.what-if
Brian Davis

Ben Bradley wrote:

But the fastest speed in the original post is "4000 kilometres
per second", slow enough for astronomers to notice it by the time it
becomes the brightest star in the night sky...

True, but an actual collision I think we'd have to go back to "8
minutes later we stop existing". I suspect you would get a detonation
of the Sun, or something close enough that from our standpoint it makes
no difference... 4000 kps (slightly faster by the time it hits) is
going to cause one heck of a compression shockfront, in a star that has
a lot of material at *almost* the fusion point (just outside the core).

In a word... ouch.

--
Brian Davis

Old November 29th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Brian Davis

Matt Giwer wrote:

Some simple consideration, on average "half" the planets are going to be on the
wrong side of the sun to be seriously affected. The closer to the sun the less
affected.

Hmm, that might be a little too simple. A close runaway star will also
gravitationally interact with our
Sun. In fact, what matters is not the strength of the gravitational
interaction here, but the tidal effect - the fact that a nearby passing
star would accelerate our Sun at a slightly different rate than a
planet orbiting our Sun, resulting in altering the orbit of the planet.
This will happen completely equally for planets on the "near" or the
"far" side of our Sun (in exactly the same way that we have a "high
tide" on both sides of the Earth, and not just the one towards the
Moon).

Being tossed out of the solar system is much more likely than falling
into the sun but equally likely with a highly elliptic orbit.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Why is it "equally likely" on
a highly elliptical orbit? How elliptical does it have to get so that a
small change in orbital energy is more likely to reduce the perisol
than to reach escape velocity?

--
Brian Davis

Old November 29th 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
[email protected]

Sorcerer wrote:
wrote in message oups.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| wrote in message
| oups.com...
|
| | Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer
|
| But you snipped, you dumb cluck. More likely, humm, IMHO, you might
| be a clueless idiot, maybe, could be, might be, IMHO.
| http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/
|

| I see you are still Grumpy. Why don't you try being Happy, or Sneezy
| for a while.

Why don't you borrrow a brain for a while? Or failing that, just shut up?

You first lady.

Old November 29th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

wrote in message ups.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| wrote in message oups.com...
| |
| | Sorcerer wrote:
| | wrote in message
| | oups.com...
| |
| | | Say the closest approach is 1 AU and as I worked out for Sorcerer
| |
| | But you snipped, you dumb cluck. More likely, humm, IMHO, you might
| | be a clueless idiot, maybe, could be, might be, IMHO.
| | http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/
| |
| |
| | I see you are still Grumpy. Why don't you try being Happy, or Sneezy
| | for a while.
|
| Why don't you borrrow a brain for a while? Or failing that, just shut up?
|
| You first lady.

I've been contributing to newsgroups far longer than you, ****head, and
you have only your personal opinions to offer, more likely, humm, IMHO,
maybe, could be, might be. Get the **** out of science newsgroups until
you have something solid to offer, ****-for-brains. Go play "what-if" in
a different sandbox, tord.