What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?

Old November 25th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Ian Stirling

Default What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?

In sci.space.policy OG wrote:

"tracy" wrote in message
oups.com...
According to this article, the mysterious super-high speed stars are
more numerous and fastest than previously though. What if one of these
"hypervelocity" stars came through Sun's neighborhood? How dangerous
it could be for life on Earth?

What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?

Not sure about that, this is related to an interesting photo on today's APOD

Alpha Cam, allegedly creating a 'bow wave' in the interstellar medium up to
10 light years ahead of its position

Neglecting the gravitational effects.
What happens to the interacting solar winds/magnetic fields of the two
stars?
Old November 25th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Alan Anderson

"Double-A" wrote:

OG wrote:
Alpha Cam, allegedly creating a 'bow wave' in the interstellar medium up to
10 light years ahead of its position

How does an attractive object like a star create a bow shock? The bow
of a ship creates a bow shock because it repulses the water.

Stars emit gas as a "stellar wind". That's what does it.
Old November 25th 06, 09:16 AM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Damien Valentine

Sorcerer/Androcles, you really need to edit out the redundant replies
in your posts.

That said, for someone who takes such pride in "dealing in fact", your
description of a post-supernova Earth is rather vague. Termites?
Apples? You might instead direct the poster to
http://www.nagt.org/files/nagt/jge/a...utch_v53n1.pdf, as a
starting point on the physics of a nova event in the Solar System.

You might also be less testy with folks, if they ask about people's
behavior during the event, and how long they can be expected to behave
that way. This message is posted to the arts.sf group too, and "what
ifs" with dramatic potential are a sci-fi author's bread and butter.
At the very least, you can refrain from commenting on a topic you boast
in knowing nothing about.

- Damien

Old November 25th 06, 01:38 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

| OG wrote:
| "tracy" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| According to this article, the mysterious super-high speed stars are
| more numerous and fastest than previously though. What if one of these
| "hypervelocity" stars came through Sun's neighborhood? How dangerous
| it could be for life on Earth?
|
| What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
| could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?
|

| Not sure about that, this is related to an interesting photo on today's
APOD

| http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061124.html
|
| Alpha Cam, allegedly creating a 'bow wave' in the interstellar medium up
| 10 light years ahead of its position
|

| How does an attractive object like a star create a bow shock? The bow
| of a ship creates a bow shock because it repulses the water. UNLESS,
| we are seeing an anti-matter star plowing through regular matter and
| repulsing it with an anti-gravity interaction!
|
| Double-A

I'm not sure if you are up to this, but consider:
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...er/Doppler.htm
No interstellar medium required, though.

Old November 25th 06, 02:10 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

"Damien Valentine" wrote in message
ps.com...
| Sorcerer/Androcles, you really need to edit out the redundant replies
| in your posts.

I'll do as I please and will not be dictated to. :-)

| That said, for someone who takes such pride in "dealing in fact", your
| description of a post-supernova Earth is rather vague. Termites?
| Apples? You might instead direct the poster to
| http://www.nagt.org/files/nagt/jge/a...utch_v53n1.pdf, as a
| starting point on the physics of a nova event in the Solar System.
|
| You might also be less testy with folks, if they ask about people's
| behavior during the event, and how long they can be expected to behave
| that way. This message is posted to the arts.sf group too, and "what
| ifs" with dramatic potential are a sci-fi author's bread and butter.
| At the very least, you can refrain from commenting on a topic you boast
| in knowing nothing about.
|
| - Damien

I'm not writing a paper here, Damien. This is a discussion about
the magnitude of an event unlikely to occur in whatever remains of
human history, and to grasp the scale of that magnitude requires
analogy. I chose termites.

The sci-fi author is free to use his imagination in any way he chooses,
and I've read many a book and seen many a movie where the laws of
physics or just plain engineering are violated.
For example, a geostationary satellite above the North pole,
Steven Seagal outrunning a ball of flame from an explosion,
photon torpedoes that move slowly and a Harrier jump jet with
twin engines. To me, spotting the blunders is part of the fun.
It is not my purview to provide sci-fi authors with additional
fiction, that is their responsibility to earn their bread and butter.

It may not be to your personal taste or opinion, but I make no
apology for what I write and I'll be as testy as I want to be.
At the very least you might instead direct the poster to
http://www.nagt.org/files/nagt/jge/a...utch_v53n1.pdf
since I didn't, and get the **** off my back. Never tell me
what I should or should not do unless you do so yourself first,
hypocrite.
Androcles

Old November 25th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Erik Max Francis

Sorcerer wrote:

I'm not sure if you are up to this, but consider:
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...er/Doppler.htm
No interstellar medium required, though.

What do you think the Doppler effect has to do with bow shocks?

San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
You and I / We've seen it all / Chasing our hearts' desire
-- The Russian and Florence, _Chess_
Old November 25th 06, 08:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Erik Max Francis

Sorcerer wrote:

It may not be to your personal taste or opinion, but I make no
apology for what I write and I'll be as testy as I want to be.
At the very least you might instead direct the poster to
http://www.nagt.org/files/nagt/jge/a...utch_v53n1.pdf
since I didn't, and get the **** off my back. Never tell me
what I should or should not do unless you do so yourself first,
hypocrite.

You're making really silly-sounding claims and then getting ****y when
you're asked to back them up. Feel free to do that if you wish, but it
doesn't exactly convince anyone that your silly-sounding claims have any
merit. In fact, much the opposite.

Old November 25th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Double-A[_1_]

Sorcerer wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

| OG wrote:
| "tracy" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| According to this article, the mysterious super-high speed stars are
| more numerous and fastest than previously though. What if one of these
| "hypervelocity" stars came through Sun's neighborhood? How dangerous
| it could be for life on Earth?
|
| What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
| could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?
|

| Not sure about that, this is related to an interesting photo on today's
APOD

| http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061124.html
|
| Alpha Cam, allegedly creating a 'bow wave' in the interstellar medium up
| 10 light years ahead of its position
|

| How does an attractive object like a star create a bow shock? The bow
| of a ship creates a bow shock because it repulses the water. UNLESS,
| we are seeing an anti-matter star plowing through regular matter and
| repulsing it with an anti-gravity interaction!
|
| Double-A

I'm not sure if you are up to this, but consider:
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...er/Doppler.htm
No interstellar medium required, though.

"which is Doppler's equation divided by Einstein's cuckoo
malformation."

Exodus 22:28 "Thou shalt not revile the gods".

Double-A

Old November 25th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

"Erik Max Francis" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
|
| I'm not sure if you are up to this, but consider:
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...er/Doppler.htm
| No interstellar medium required, though.
|
| What do you think the Doppler effect has to do with bow shocks?

You have a brain and eyes for chewing gum, huh? Any other uses?

Old November 25th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

"Erik Max Francis" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
Damn, I did write, too. You are right.
I wonder what happed to what I wrote....