Space Suit safety equipment?

Old February 4th 06, 04:53 PM posted to sci.space.station

Default Space Suit safety equipment?

JRS: In article , dated Fri, 3
Feb 2006 11:26:17 remote, seen in news:sci.space.station, Jeff Findley
posted :
"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news
If an astronaut gets hit in the foot by a micrometer, does he:

Since the micrometeor is likely to be very small, he'd end up with a pinhole
in the suit, and his foot.

A micrometer is not the same thing as a micrometeor.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old February 5th 06, 12:32 AM posted to sci.space.station

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news
If an astronaut gets hit in the foot by a micrometer, does he:

Since the micrometeor is likely to be very small, he'd end up with a
pinhole
in the suit, and his foot.

A micrometer is not the same thing as a micrometeor.

but we are assuming he was getting hit by a small chunk of rock, and not a
precision electronic measuring device

Old February 5th 06, 12:39 AM posted to sci.space.station

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news If an astronaut gets hit in the foot by a micrometer, does he:

Since the micrometeor is likely to be very small, he'd end up with a
pinhole
in the suit, and his foot.

A micrometer is not the same thing as a micrometeor.

but we are assuming he was getting hit by a small chunk of rock, and not a
precision electronic measuring device

and the I screw it up my mis-mis-reading it as microampmeter

Old February 5th 06, 09:19 PM posted to sci.space.station

JRS: In article , dated Sat, 4 Feb 2006
18:32:37 remote, seen in news:sci.space.station, Tater Schuld
posted :

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news If an astronaut gets hit in the foot by a micrometer, does he:

Since the micrometeor is likely to be very small, he'd end up with a
pinhole
in the suit, and his foot.

A micrometer is not the same thing as a micrometeor.

but we are assuming he was getting hit by a small chunk of rock, and not a
precision electronic measuring device

You are; but Craig Fink evidently wrote "micrometer", and that's a
precision measuring device not necessarily electronic. I've never owned
one, but I used to use them; they're just the sort of thing that an
advanced astronaut might "drop".

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/ JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
Old February 6th 06, 12:31 AM posted to sci.space.station

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news If an astronaut gets hit in the foot by a micrometer, does he:
Since the micrometeor is likely to be very small, he'd end up with a
pinhole
in the suit, and his foot.

A micrometer is not the same thing as a micrometeor.

but we are assuming he was getting hit by a small chunk of rock, and not a
precision electronic measuring device

You are; but Craig Fink evidently wrote "micrometer", and that's a
precision measuring device not necessarily electronic. I've never owned
one, but I used to use them; they're just the sort of thing that an
advanced astronaut might "drop".

A Micrometer is also 1/1000th of a milimeter, a milimeter is 1/1000th
of a meter, thus: 1 micrometer is 1/1.000.000th of a meter.
1 meter is a little over 3 feet (also a bit more than 1 yard)
1 meter = 100 cm = 1000 milimeter = 1.000.000 micrometer.
1 inch = 25.4 milimeter

André

--
73' André, PE1PQX
Mijn site: http://pe1pqx.dyndns.org

Old February 6th 06, 03:56 AM posted to sci.space.station

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

You are; but Craig Fink evidently wrote "micrometer", and that's a
precision measuring device not necessarily electronic. I've never owned
one, but I used to use them; they're just the sort of thing that an
advanced astronaut might "drop".

And, for the benefit of our norteamericano friends, it's not a unit of
measurement :-)

Old February 6th 06, 05:30 AM posted to sci.space.station

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news If an astronaut gets hit in the foot by a micrometer, does he:

Since the micrometeor is likely to be very small, he'd end up with a
pinhole
in the suit, and his foot.

A micrometer is not the same thing as a micrometeor.

but we are assuming he was getting hit by a small chunk of rock, and not a
precision electronic measuring device

You are; but Craig Fink evidently wrote "micrometer", and that's a
precision measuring device not necessarily electronic. I've never owned
one, but I used to use them; they're just the sort of thing that an
advanced astronaut might "drop".

so in other words.....

in space, do you get a pinhole when you drop your micrometer?

Old February 6th 06, 10:06 AM posted to sci.space.station

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news If an astronaut gets hit in the foot by a micrometer, does he:

Since the micrometeor is likely to be very small, he'd end up with a
pinhole
in the suit, and his foot.

A micrometer is not the same thing as a micrometeor.

but we are assuming he was getting hit by a small chunk of rock, and
not a precision electronic measuring device

You are; but Craig Fink evidently wrote "micrometer", and that's a
precision measuring device not necessarily electronic. I've never
owned one, but I used to use them; they're just the sort of thing that
an advanced astronaut might "drop".

so in other words.....

in space, do you get a pinhole when you drop your micrometer?

If the micrometer fell out of the astronauts toolbox six months before, it
would take his whole foot off. Here on earth, having a severed foot won't
kill you, and it shouldn't in space if the suit is designed to maintain
pressure in critical areas of the suit. A space walking astronaut minus
one foot should need prosthetic foot when he gets home, not a casket.

Something as simple as an inflatable tourniquet, or maybe emergency
inflatable bladders in the limbs, torso and possibly helmet of the suit
seems like a fairly simple way to reduce the probability of death from
such an accident.

What is the weakest link in the pressure vessel of current space suits?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old February 6th 06, 05:47 PM posted to sci.space.station

--
- Jarkko -

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
[...]

Excuse me, but milimeter (single l) is not correct. In US it is millimeter
(with double l), and in UK it is millimetre (with double l).
Else, than this slight spelling mistake, André's definition of the metric
length measurement units is excellently clear and correct.

- Jarkko -

Old February 6th 06, 07:44 PM posted to sci.space.station

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:30:17 -0600, Tater Schuld wrote:

If the micrometer fell out of the astronauts toolbox six months before, it
would take his whole foot off. Here on earth, having a severed foot won't
kill you, and it shouldn't in space if the suit is designed to maintain
pressure in critical areas of the suit. A space walking astronaut minus
one foot should need prosthetic foot when he gets home, not a casket.

Something as simple as an inflatable tourniquet, or maybe emergency
inflatable bladders in the limbs, torso and possibly helmet of the suit
seems like a fairly simple way to reduce the probability of death from
such an accident.

What is the weakest link in the pressure vessel of current space suits?

and we are back to the original post

anyway, I believe that the astronauts have (as standard equipment) a roll of
tape with their suits. no need for inflatable tourniquets, as tape would do
the same job. plus others