Arming Outer Space

Old November 19th 03, 01:33 AM
Tom Merkle

Default Arming Outer Space

wrote in message ...
Arming outer space

Rumsfeld's dream is dangerous. It not only violates the 1967 Outer
Space Treaty, which wisely prohibited the militarization of space, but
also threatens to reignite the arms race, this time in space. It is
also hugely expensive, costing hundreds of billions of dollars that
could be used to care for people who live right here on Earth.

The Outer Space treaty of 1967 accomplished absolutely nothing useful.

The argument that funds spent on space are better spent 'to care for
people who live right here on Earth' is belied by the four decades of
money spent on space being a drop in the bucket compared to that spent
on social programs. No, another $16 billion is not going to solve the
homeless, medicare prescription drugs, or health care problems of
people right here on earth. NASA currently has a little less than half
the money spent on space, and that comes to $16 billion, a little less
than 1% of the federal budget. Social spending, on the other hand, is
well over 56% of the federal budget, and you cannot tell me that if
social spending was 57% of the budget that would make a significant
difference.

Look up at the heavens. Do we really want to leave future generations
with a legacy of space-based warfare? If not, let's pressure every
presidential candidate, as well as President Bush, to keep the heavens
free of weapons of mass destruction.

Yes, I want future generations related to me to have a chance of
defending themselves against future generations of others who may not
be friendly.

It's time for realistic people to give up the childish 90's notion
that the world will grow ever safer as long as the US unilaterally
disarms. Baseless optimism leads to complacency, which eventually
leads to defeat ala Sept 11, 2001.

Tom Merkle
Old November 19th 03, 07:09 AM
Steve Dufour

Rumsfeld's dream is dangerous. It not only violates the 1967 Outer
Space Treaty, which wisely prohibited the militarization of space...

Incorrect. The Outer Space Treaty prohibits most military activities on
the surfaces of "celestial bodies", and forbids stationing of weapons of
mass destruction in space, but says nothing about military activities in
general in space.

Thanks. Very interesting all around. It's clear what side the article
was on. But still very interesting.
Old November 21st 03, 05:01 PM
Steve Dufour

.. A single reasonably hardened orbital platform with
an energy weapon or even just overgrown lawn darts could render every
surface naval vessel obsolete and vulnerable.

How do you "reasonably harden" a space craft? You can not hide it.
Couldn't it be shot down by an energy weapon on earth, which could be
hidden until fired?
Old November 21st 03, 07:16 PM
Eric Chomko

Tom Merkle ) wrote:
[...]
: Yes, I want future generations related to me to have a chance of
: defending themselves against future generations of others who may not
: be friendly.

: It's time for realistic people to give up the childish 90's notion
: that the world will grow ever safer as long as the US unilaterally
: disarms. Baseless optimism leads to complacency, which eventually
: leads to defeat ala Sept 11, 2001.

We were defeated on 9-11? I thought we were attacked by 19 radical suicide
bombers that took advantage of our system and used our own commercial
airplanes against us as flying missiles?

I fail to see how arms or the military could have prevented the attacks.

Eric
Old November 22nd 03, 09:53 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Eric Chomko wrote:
We were defeated on 9-11? I thought we were attacked by 19 radical suicide
bombers that took advantage of our system and used our own commercial
airplanes against us as flying missiles?

Actually, the defeat came just afterward. The attacks themselves could
not reasonably have been prevented, and *by the standards of warfare* took
a relatively small toll. The defeat was the massive over-reaction of
hysterical, poorly-thought-out, useless, intrusive "security" measures --
many of which we're still living with -- which was *exactly* what the
terrorists wanted. The goal of terrorism is not to kill people, but to
disrupt their society. The West in general and the US in particular did
(and are still doing) the terrorists' work for them, due to poor leadership.

Which is all the more striking when you consider that the *same* leaders
did exactly the *right* thing, resulting in a major *victory*, on the
external front: attacking Al-Queda's sanctuary in Afghanistan, and its
despicable government, and stomping them flat.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |
Old November 22nd 03, 04:08 PM
TKalbfus

I fail to see how arms or the military could have prevented the attacks.

Eric

Two stinger missiles launched from the towers could have shot down both planes.
The Pentagon should have been bristling with weapons as the headquarters of the
US military, I don't know why it was treated as just an office building.

Tom
Old November 22nd 03, 04:36 PM
Scott Lowther

Henry Spencer wrote:

In article ,
Eric Chomko wrote:
We were defeated on 9-11? I thought we were attacked by 19 radical suicide
bombers that took advantage of our system and used our own commercial
airplanes against us as flying missiles?

Actually, the defeat came just afterward. The attacks themselves could
not reasonably have been prevented, and *by the standards of warfare* took
a relatively small toll. The defeat was the massive over-reaction of
hysterical, poorly-thought-out, useless, intrusive "security" measures --
many of which we're still living with -- which was *exactly* what the
terrorists wanted.

The terrorists wanted airline travel to be slightly more annoying? They
wanted to take away our plastic sporks and in-flight "meals?" They
wanted paperwork for foreign nationals who want to travel to the US to
be a little bit more complex?

That's pretty much the effective limit to the "intrusive 'security'
measures" that we're still living with. I hear lots of people screaming
about how horrible the Patriot Act is, but I never see any specifics.
Just vague hyperbole.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam