Roll Anomaly

Old August 4th 08, 03:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Default Roll Anomaly

Brian Gaff wrote:
You don't think that the big guys will buy up the small ones to shut them
down then?

Brian

That's a very paranoid thought, Mr. Gaff... in the perfect world of
modern American capitalism such a thing would never occur to a
multi-billion dollar company, any more than it would occur to a bank to
start giving mortgage loans to people that they knew would probably
never be able to repay them - realizing that if they ever started to go
down the tubes, the government would bail them out.
A profit is certainly not without honor in _this_ land.
Let the taxpayer beware. :-D

Pat
Old August 4th 08, 04:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Martha Adams wrote:

I can't guess what to expect, but I think I may not
like it. I heard Musk about his work about two years
ago, at which time, he seemed to believe what he was
doing would completely upset the pricing applecart.

Which I expect, will thereby provoke strong resistance
from those whose money is there. $10K/lb to orbit:
that is a lot of money and *somebody gets it*. Now
comes Musk saying, $1K/lb to orbit and we'll be
bringing it down. How do you think the $10K/lb people
feel?

Your new flying car, Ms. Adams: http://www.moller.com/
Next stop on our Tour Of Wonders, the terrifying Egress!

P.T. Barnum :-D
Old August 4th 08, 08:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Or over here, a company who sells wholesale gas, owns a company retailing
gas. Said retailer says wholesale costs make the business uneconomic so
they raise prices by 35 percent, and guess who the wholesalers are, and
guess who made record profits last quarter.
Hmm, something stinks in the business world.

Brian

Email:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...

Old August 4th 08, 08:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

and said wholesale company now has put in bid to buy UK Nuclear power
company.

Brian

Email:

om...

Old August 4th 08, 06:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rick Jones

In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:
Martha Adams wrote:

I notice Musk says he's brought in a "large" investor. I don't
like to hear that, for now Musk no longer entirely owns his
company. Who are the new people and what's their track record?
??

That's interesting...Rutan's Scaled Composites got bought out by
Northrop Grumman recently.

Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor without a
"serious" launch capability? One could see them investing in SpaceX
as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled Composites purchase.

rick jones
Old August 4th 08, 06:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

Martha Adams wrote:

I notice Musk says he's brought in a "large" investor. I don't
like to hear that, for now Musk no longer entirely owns his
company. Who are the new people and what's their track record?
??

That's interesting...Rutan's Scaled Composites got bought out by
Northrop Grumman recently.

Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor without a
"serious" launch capability? One could see them investing in SpaceX
as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled Composites purchase.

Nobody does. LM and Boeing had to firewall their launch vehicle
groups from the spacecraft group and now they are further separated to
even say that they are not part of the same company.

Having a "launch capability" within the same company doesn't have any
advantages.
Old August 5th 08, 06:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Rick Jones wrote:
Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor without a
"serious" launch capability? One could see them investing in SpaceX
as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled Composites purchase.

The speculation is that they will use the WhiteKnightTwo as a carrier
for some sort of rocket booster to carry a modest-sized (around 500
pound) satellite into orbit.
Scaled Composites makes the wing for the Pegasus launch vehicle, so
maybe they have something along those lines in mind.

Pat
Old August 5th 08, 07:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Fred J. McCall

: Martha Adams wrote:
:
: I notice Musk says he's brought in a "large" investor. I don't
: like to hear that, for now Musk no longer entirely owns his
: company. Who are the new people and what's their track record?
: ??
:
: That's interesting...Rutan's Scaled Composites got bought out by
: Northrop Grumman recently.
:
:Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor without a
:"serious" launch capability? One could see them investing in SpaceX
:as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled Composites purchase.
:

Define 'major'.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old August 5th 08, 06:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rick Jones

Rick Jones wrote:
Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor
without a "serious" launch capability? One could see them
investing in SpaceX as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled
Composites purchase.

The speculation is that they will use the WhiteKnightTwo as a carrier
for some sort of rocket booster to carry a modest-sized (around 500
pound) satellite into orbit.
Scaled Composites makes the wing for the Pegasus launch vehicle, so
maybe they have something along those lines in mind.

(A working) Falcon would give them some nice "scale-up" I suppose.

rick jones
Old August 5th 08, 06:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rick Jones

In sci.space.history Fred J. McCall wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
:Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor
:without a "serious" launch capability? One could see them
:investing in SpaceX as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled
:Composites purchase.

Define 'major'.

Mostly, my being able to remember their name So, I think of Boeing
and LockheedMartin, then perhaps NorthropGrumman and GeneralDynamics,
but I'm not sure if GD is still "independent."

EADS are certainly large, and I suppose there is BAE but I was
figuring that their being "foreign" (US relative of course...) would
present some non-trivial ITAR complications.

- Rick Jones

Roll Anomaly kT Space Shuttle 22 August 9th 08 05:18 AM
BBQ Roll question... OM History 8 February 23rd 06 12:42 PM
"Let's roll ... Twittering One Misc 26 October 24th 05 08:55 AM
Roll Out the Old Blue Jet Mahmoud In My Dinner Jacket Astronomy Misc 2 September 26th 05 04:47 PM
The Roll Problem [email protected] Policy 1 October 6th 04 09:31 PM