Another Space Tether Experiment Disaster

Old September 26th 07, 10:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

Default Another Space Tether Experiment Disaster

On Sep 25, 8:05 pm, BradGuth wrote:
On Sep 25, 3:43 pm, kT wrote:

BradGuth wrote:
Not that the warm and fuzzy likes of KT gives any honest puck, but the
tethered deorbit capability as rather easily deployed away from my LSE-
CM/ISS dipole element doesn't have such pesky problems, does it.

I suppose it doesn't, now that you mention it. Vaporware is like that.

Would any of you silly naysay folks of this anti-think-tank usenet
from hell, like to know why?

I'm more concerned about the getting into orbit part of the problem,
orbital decay will take care of the getting back from orbit part of it.

My lunar space elevator's 256e6 tonne CM/ISS plus various tether
moon's L1, as always pulled a bit towards Earth with the tether dipole
element and of its termination platform doing it's reliable gravity
thing. There's no such orbital decay to worry about.
- Brad Guth -

Excluding the spin of Earth and of its polluted atmosphere that's
somewhat dragging its feet, whereas that moon anchored tether if you'd
like can interactively reach damn near to the surface of Earth, which
is only trekking that end of itself along at roughly 40 mph. (due to
the multi-teraVolt differential, and a few other safety factors, I
would not dare advise anyone doing such)

So, other than a GSO deployed tether that doesn't accommodate all that
much good, whereas my LSE-CM/ISS and of its robust dipole element that
can rather easily accommodate almost any secondary tonnage you've got
in mind for anything LEO to GSO, is more than doable within existing
physics and supported by the best available science.

BTW, it might be worth our further pondering as to a north/south polar
application of getting terrestrial stuff directly picked up by this
extremely slow moving and fully interactive LSE-CM/ISS deployed
tether. With some give or take tether adjustments and somewhat upper
atmospheric kite flying expertise could snag onto a given polar
balloon launched payload of substantial mass and haul it away. Puts a
whole new warm and fuzzy meaning on the phrase "Go Fish", doesn't it.
Oops! sorry about all that.
- Brad Guth -

Old September 27th 07, 01:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Sep 25, 9:40 am, kT wrote:
http://www.kommersant.com/p-11433/Fotino_landing/
Hundreds killed.

Jim Oberg: "Fotino is stuck in a lower orbit."

Are we each having yet another bad tether day, or what?

Unlike the LEO deployed tether that got all choked up or perhaps had
one of those space wedgy problems, whereas my lunar space elevator's
256e6 tonne CM/ISS plus various robust tether loading is not going
anywhere it's not supposed to go, other than sticking fairly close to
the moon's L1, as always pulled a bit towards Earth by the tether
dipole element and of its termination platform doing its highly
reliable gravity thing. There's simply no such orbital decay issues
to worry about.

The tethered deorbit capability as deployed away from my LSE-CM/ISS
dipole element, as such doesn't have those pesky sorts of LEO
problems, of what-if orbital decay or hardly any other uncontrolled
factors, does it.

Would any of you silly folks of this anti-think-tank usenet of
naysayism from hell on Earth, in spite of yourselves care to know
why?

For the moment of my excluding the spin of Earth and of its polluted
atmosphere that's somewhat dragging its feet, whereas for utilizing
that nifty moon anchored LSE tether of mine, if you'd like can be
allowed to interactively reach damn near to the surface of Earth,
which is only trekking that end of itself along at roughly 40 mph in
relationship to the equator of a nonspinning sphere the size of Earth.
(due to the multi-teraVolt differential, and a few other interference
safety factors, I would not dare advise anyone ever doing such)

So, other than a GSO deployed tether that doesn't actually accommodate
for all that much cost or safety related good, whereas my LSE-CM/ISS
and of its robust dipole element that can rather easily accommodate
almost any secondary tonnage you've got in mind, for the relocating of
most anything to/from LEO to GSO and that of our moon's L1 and of the
moon itself, is more than doable within existing physics, as supported
by the best available science as is (in other words, not all that much
need be invented).

BTW, it might be entirely worth our further pondering as to a north/
south polar application of getting terrestrial stuff directly picked
up by this extremely slow moving (interactively managed to within +/-
a meter or so per second) end of this fully interactive LSE-CM/ISS
dipole deployed tether that's terminated with a robotic/android
payload snatcher, that which if need be can be locally remote flown by
ground control staff using MS Flight simulator, while sitting in a
Tiki hut bar and sucking down a Mai Tai or a Banana Mango Smoothie if
you'd like. Along with some give or take tether adjustments and
somewhat upper atmospheric kite flying expertise could snag onto a
given polar balloon launched payload of substantial mass, and
summarily haul it away. Sort of puts a whole new warm and fuzzy spin

Old September 27th 07, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Sep 26, 2:44 am, OM wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:15:38 -0700, Frogwatch
wrote:

Breakthrough! KT exceeds the reality barrier.

...Ok, that's it. You've refused to put that neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic
pile of child molesting horse manure into your killfile and quit
replying to him. Enough's enough.

PLONK

...There. Now the two of you can sodomize each other in Killfile Hell
with Chumpko, Guthball, McCall, and all the Znkfba trash. Enjoy your
stay, because you won't be getting out.

Idiot.

Poor OM. He just can't accept the fact that others' opinions differ
from his own. He sure does kiss the asses of the "celebrities"
though...

OM
--
]=====================================[
] OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld [

Old September 27th 07, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

wrote:

Breakthrough! KT exceeds the reality barrier.

...Ok, that's it. You've refused to put that neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic
pile of child molesting horse manure into your killfile and quit
replying to him. Enough's enough.

PLONK

...There. Now the two of you can sodomize each other in Killfile Hell
with Chumpko, Guthball, McCall, and all the Znkfba trash. Enjoy your
stay, because you won't be getting out.

Idiot.

Poor OM. He just can't accept the fact that others' opinions differ
from his own. He sure does kiss the asses of the "celebrities"
though...

There are many such pesky OMs within this anti-think-tank of their
usenet of naysayism hell on Earth. (me think it's mostly a Yid thing)
- Brad Guth -

Old September 28th 07, 01:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
rjn

kT wrote:

http://www.kommersant.com/p-11433/Fotino_landing/

Non-responsive.

Also reported at:
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0709/25yes2tether/

Looks like they violated the 3rd law of snags:
To review:
1. If it can snag, it will.
2. If it can't snag, it will anyway.
3. If it's supposed to snag, it won't.

So design your tethers to snag.

--
Regards, Bob Niland

Old September 28th 07, 02:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

rjn wrote:
kT wrote:

http://www.kommersant.com/p-11433/Fotino_landing/

Non-responsive.

Also reported at:
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0709/25yes2tether/

Looks like they violated the 3rd law of snags:
To review:
1. If it can snag, it will.
2. If it can't snag, it will anyway.
3. If it's supposed to snag, it won't.

So design your tethers to snag.

The NASA PAO could have written this headline:
http://mnweekly.ru/news/20070927/55279053.html ;-)

Pat
Old September 28th 07, 02:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Sep 27, 6:02 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

The NASA PAO could have written this headline:http://mnweekly.ru/news/20070927/55279053.html ;-)

Pat

"Space Test Called a Successful Failure"

I like it, as it fits damn near anything our NASA/Apollo fiasco has to
offer, as well as that of whatever our born-again resident LLPOF
warlord(GW Bush) ever accomplished.

Iraq War Called a Successful Failure
- Brad Guth -

Old September 28th 07, 02:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Neil Gerace[_2_]

On Sep 28, 9:02 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

The NASA PAO could have written this headline:http://mnweekly.ru/news/20070927/55279053.html ;-)

I would say that a failure that teaches several valuable lessons is
much more successful than one that doesn't.

Old September 28th 07, 03:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Sep 27, 6:47 pm, Neil Gerace wrote:
On Sep 28, 9:02 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

The NASA PAO could have written this headline:http://mnweekly.ru/news/20070927/55279053.html ;-)

I would say that a failure that teaches several valuable lessons is
much more successful than one that doesn't.

I would have to say that you're 100% correct.

However, if this anti-think-tank of usenet naysayism and incest
formulated bigotry from hell were in charge, we'd still be living in
the dark ages, on a flat Earth, as well as having that sun (that's
only ever so slightly larger than our moon) orbiting us.
- Brad Guth -

Old September 28th 07, 05:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
lgroner

On Sep 25, 11:44 pm, OM wrote:
Can we focus on what the issues are that lead to the high mortality
rate of tether tether experiments.

In particular is there imagery of what happens to a deploying tether?
Or traces of tension vs. time ( or deployed length)?