Roll Anomaly

Old August 6th 08, 03:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Fred J. McCall

Default Roll Anomaly

Rick Jones wrote:

:In sci.space.history Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Rick Jones wrote:
: :Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor
: :without a "serious" launch capability? One could see them
: :investing in SpaceX as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled
: :Composites purchase.
:
: Define 'major'.
:
:Mostly, my being able to remember their name So, I think of Boeing
:and LockheedMartin, then perhaps NorthropGrumman and GeneralDynamics,
:but I'm not sure if GD is still "independent."
:

I've always said we didn't do a good enough job of advertising what we
do....

:
:EADS are certainly large, and I suppose there is BAE but I was
:figuring that their being "foreign" (US relative of course...) would
resent some non-trivial ITAR complications.
:

Top 10 defense contractors in 2007.

1. Lockheed Martin (U.S.) - Robert Stevens, President and CEO -
$36,090.00 defense revenue for 2006
2. Boeing (U.S.) - James McNerney, Chairman, President and CEO -
$30,800.00
3. BAE Systems (U.K.) - Mike Turner, CEO - $25,070.60
4. Northrop Grumman (U.S.) - Ronald Sugar, Chairman and CEO -
$23,649.00
5. Raytheon (U.S.) - William Swanson, Chairman and CEO - $19,500.00
6. General Dynamics (U.S.) - Nicholas Chabraja, Chairman and CEO -
$18,769.00
7. EADS (Netherlands) - Thomas Enders and Louis Gallois, co-CEOs -
$13,202.70
8. L-3 Communications (U.S.) - Michael Strianese, CEO - $9,989.60
9. Finmeccanica (Italy) - Pierfrancesco Guarguaglini, Chairman and CEO
- $9,057.10
10. United Technologies (U.S.) - George David, Chairman and CEO -
$7,652.60

I'll let you tell me which of the ten have a 'serious' launch
capability.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old August 6th 08, 06:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rick Jones

[...]

I'll concede the point on using an overly vauge term there From the
peanut gallery, ignoring realities of corporate firewalls, when I
think of (satellite) launchers and US defence contractors I think of
Boeing and LockheedMartin. I'm happy to have my perception realigned
with a dose or two of reality though

rick jones
--
web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
Old August 9th 08, 05:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:41:36 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
Rick Jones made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:
Martha Adams wrote:

I notice Musk says he's brought in a "large" investor. I don't
like to hear that, for now Musk no longer entirely owns his
company. Who are the new people and what's their track record?
??

That's interesting...Rutan's Scaled Composites got bought out by
Northrop Grumman recently.

Isn't NorthropGrumman the only "major" US defense contractor without a
"serious" launch capability? One could see them investing in SpaceX
as a further fleshing-out of their Scaled Composites purchase.

They didn't buy Scaled Composites as a space company (and it's not,
really). They bought it as an aircraft company.

Roll Anomaly kT Space Shuttle 22 August 9th 08 05:18 AM
BBQ Roll question... OM History 8 February 23rd 06 11:42 AM
"Let's roll ... Twittering One Misc 26 October 24th 05 08:55 AM
Roll Out the Old Blue Jet Mahmoud In My Dinner Jacket Astronomy Misc 2 September 26th 05 04:47 PM
The Roll Problem [email protected] Policy 1 October 6th 04 09:31 PM