Huygens amateur image mosaics and panoramas

Old January 15th 05, 02:13 PM
Neil Halelamien

Default Huygens amateur image mosaics and panoramas

The ESA has been pretty slow with publically releasing tons of images,
probably because they're busy processing the huge amounts of scientific
data from Huygens. Some folks over at the #space channel on
irc.freenode.net have filled the void by doing various sorts of
processing on the raw available descent images, producing a number of
fantastic panoramas and compositions.

Most of these are described on this page:
http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens

The raw images (367 total triple-views) are available he
http://spacescience.ca/titan/raw/

I've taken the liberty of cropping out and separating the individual
camera views, which should make them more suitable for creating
composites and panoramas:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~neilh/hu..._separated.zip

The following program may be useful for creating composite images:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
-- Neil Halelamien

Old January 15th 05, 10:19 PM
Christopher M. Jones

Neil Halelamien wrote:
The ESA has been pretty slow with publically releasing tons of images,
probably because they're busy processing the huge amounts of scientific
data from Huygens. Some folks over at the #space channel on
irc.freenode.net have filled the void by doing various sorts of
processing on the raw available descent images, producing a number of
fantastic panoramas and compositions.

Most of these are described on this page:
http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens

Wow, that is awesome. The difference in perceptible detail
is extraordinary, these images actually make sense intuitively.
The presence of clouds in the medium resolution context images
is bluntly obvious in the mosaics, for example, as is the
detail of the "river" and (assumed) drainage features.

Excellent work!

P.S. Call me crazy but it looks to me like Huygens actually
landed on the "ocean" (which is probably more like a
glacier-ish type feature, I think). Has anyone yet figured
out where in the imagery is the actual landing location of
Huygens, if it did indeed return images of its landing site?
Old January 17th 05, 12:43 AM
Jimmy Java

http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens this link does not
work. Knobbled by nasa? Cause it possibly shows signs of life.

Old January 18th 05, 12:27 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Jimmy Java wrote:
http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens this link does not
work. Knobbled by nasa? Cause it possibly shows signs of life.

It's under heavy stress from too many viewings, which use up
server resources. It has already survived being posted on
slashdot and instapundit, I'm surprised it's still up. That
being said, it was accessible when I viewed it just a moment
ago, so it might be something on your end.
Old January 18th 05, 02:46 AM
Martin Leese

Jimmy Java wrote:

http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens this link does not
work. Knobbled by nasa? Cause it possibly shows signs of life.

I hope it's intelligent life, because there's
bugger all down here on earth.

(Also, the link works if you are patient.)

--
Regards,
Martin Leese

Old January 18th 05, 05:59 AM
Neil Halelamien

It was down (slashdotted?) for a little while yesterday. It's back up
now.

Also, it's now a redirect to this page:
http://anthony.liekens.net/huygens_static.html