market size as a function of launcher size

Old September 18th 03, 09:07 PM
Parallax

Default market size as a function of launcher size

Although it would be very nice to have a very heavy launcher like
Saturn V or Energia, there is little market for it. The small market
doesn't justify development or the infrastructure for it. The market
can handle various smaller launchers. Is there any way to use
combinations of smaller launchers to achieve a very heavy launcher
when it is needed without developing the infrastructure for the very
heavy launcher?

This is done in limited fashion by strapping various SRBs onto rocket
cores but this doesnt get us into the realm of a very heavy launcher
without starting with a fairly heavy launcher. Is this because of the
need for the infrastructure for the heavy launcher (pad, etc?) I
assume that you couldnt just keep strapping shuttle SRBs together to
achieve sufficient lift because you would exceed the capacity of the
pad and support equipment.

However, what if we didnt need the infrastructure but instead used a
launch from water as proposed for Seadragon. We might then be able to
just keep strapping SRbs together ad infinitum.

Maybe clustered hybrids would be a good idea for this since they can
be better controlled.
Old September 18th 03, 10:22 PM
Dick Morris

Parallax wrote:

Although it would be very nice to have a very heavy launcher like
Saturn V or Energia, there is little market for it. The small market
doesn't justify development or the infrastructure for it. The market
can handle various smaller launchers. Is there any way to use
combinations of smaller launchers to achieve a very heavy launcher
when it is needed without developing the infrastructure for the very
heavy launcher?

A medium-lift (which I define to be 40-80,000 lb. payload) launcher can
substitute for an HLLV in some circumstances, such as manned lunar or
Mars flights. A large majority of the Initial Mass in LEO (IMLEO) of a
lunar or Mars ship will be propellants, which are easily divided into
smaller packages. Several tanker flights of a medium-lift RLV can
deliver propellants to a propellant depot in LEO. An additional flight
can deliver the hardware, which is then docked to the propellant depot
where the tanks are filled. That eliminates the need for an HLLV and
gives us a vehicle which can be used for many other purposes as well.
Old September 19th 03, 04:21 AM
Parallax

Dick Morris wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

[...]

In some cases, this could work. However, if teh medium lifter is
expensive, then several are even more so. Is the cost proportional to
the number of launches? Would the cost be significantly less with
fewer but larger launches? Truax says the cost does not increase
significantly with rocket size so big rockets are about the same
overall cost as smaller ones to launch (cost is mostly overhead).
However, there is little need for HLLV but when it is needed, it might
really save $ if the development and overhead cost ws not much more
more than a smaller rocket. So, this means that clustering smaller
rockets might make sense if these smaller rockets are used when
smaller payloads are desired.
For this, hybrids might really make sense. They are fairly simple and
reliable with better performance than pure solids. They are almost
environmentally benign and some of the fuels (and oxidizers) are very
safe and easy to handle. Maybe the H2O2/Wax combination would be good
for his.
One could imagine very cheap production of many of these engines and
an easy clustering system for arbitrary enlargement. Tow the cluster
to near the equator in the ocean away from silly govt regs, tilt it
upright as in Seadragon and launch. Each engine could be fed from a
common oxidizer tank with its valve independently controlled to
balance the cluster thrust or to shut one down if it went bonkers.
Outer engines in cluster could be fed oxidizer to burn faster for
faster staging and then are ejected from the core. Inner engines
initially have low thrust but on staging they pour it on.
Forget reuseability, this is cheap enough to throw away after each
use. No nasty Nitrogen tetroxide, no ammonium perchlorate, no
cryogenics, just cheap, reliable, few safety problems and
environmentally benign.
I know I greatly oversimplify, but basically take a large wax
cylinder, drill a hole down the middle, wrap the outside with
fibreglass cloth, carbon fiber matting using boat building technology
so its done in quantity, add the nozzle and pressure and temp guaging,
and a computer controlled throttle valve. Oxidizer tanks are made
from welded Al with carbon fiber matting around outside resined on.
Its just a Little Dumb Booster that can be clustered to make various
sized Big Dumb Boosters when needed.

I clearly have too much time on my hands since I know little about
rockets.
Old September 19th 03, 03:15 PM
ralph buttigieg

Hi all,

If there is going to be a HLLV (defined as a launcher capable of placing
40Mt+i nto LEO) in the future which one of the following will
be the first customer?

1) NASA With a A Moon/ Mars mission

2) DoD to place large military satellites- perhaps a Space based laser

3) Commercial organisation - perhaps launching big comsats.

4) Other - please explain.

ta

Ralph

Mike Rhino wrote in message ...
"Parallax" wrote in message
. com...
Although it would be very nice to have a very heavy launcher like
Saturn V or Energia, there is little market for it. The small market
doesn't justify development or the infrastructure for it. The market
can handle various smaller launchers. Is there any way to use
combinations of smaller launchers to achieve a very heavy launcher
when it is needed without developing the infrastructure for the very
heavy launcher?

It is possible to have a lunar program with boosters smaller than Saturn V.
Suppose you send supplies to the moon on 5 ships. Some of these would be
permanent like housing and some would be consumables like food. Then you
send 3 astronauts to the moon. Two years later, you send fuel so they can
get off the moon. They meet up with another refueling ship and return to
Earth.

If you set up a lunar program like this, then the Lunar market might end up
being bigger than the low Earth orbit market. After China's space flight,
the low Earth orbit area could get crowded. The US to shut down the

shuttle
and ISS and set up a lunar program. This would require new rockets instead
of using existing ones, but we are already planning to spend money on OSP.
We could cancel the OSP and spend that money on Lunar rockets.

Old September 20th 03, 06:36 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
ralph buttigieg wrote:
If there is going to be a HLLV (defined as a launcher capable of placing
40Mt+i nto LEO) in the future which one of the following will
be the first customer?
1) NASA With a A Moon/ Mars mission
2) DoD to place large military satellites- perhaps a Space based laser
3) Commercial organisation - perhaps launching big comsats.
4) Other - please explain.

You forgot

5) None of the above -- no HLLV any time soon.

Which is by far the likeliest of the bunch.

Especially after the station debacle, no way no how is Congress going to
hand NASA a blank check for a Moon/Mars project. Apollo *will* *not*
happen again. Suggestions to the contrary are ludicrous fantasies.

(It is not beyond hope that manned exploration might happen again... but
it will not be done the Apollo way, developing a giant launcher and a new
spacecraft in a big hurry. Vastly lower costs are absolutely necessary,
so it will have to use existing launch systems -- which must be much
cheaper than today's -- and take a far more cost-constrained approach to
the spacecraft and the mission. JSC is probably incapable of doing this;
NASA as a whole may be incapable of doing it.)

DoD has occasionally shown interest in launching large things, but the
already-debatable requirements for it have largely evaporated with the end
of the Cold War. Even the spysats are shrinking, not growing.

Giant comsats are not as popular today as they were five years ago. And
even the extreme high end of the market has a long way to go before it
will outgrow the EELV Heavy configurations. There will be no market there
any time soon. Other commercial markets are highly speculative, and are
more likely to want lots of small launches than a handful of huge ones.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old September 20th 03, 07:22 AM
Mike Rhino

"ralph buttigieg" wrote in message
Hi all,

If there is going to be a HLLV (defined as a launcher capable of placing
40Mt+i nto LEO) in the future which one of the following will
be the first customer?

1) NASA With a A Moon/ Mars mission

2) DoD to place large military satellites- perhaps a Space based laser

3) Commercial organisation - perhaps launching big comsats.

4) Other - please explain.

Either NASA or the Chinese government. Commercial organizations aren't that
big and probably won't be able to compete against the Chinese. Spy
satellites aren't that big. If Bush goes loony, he might want to launch a
few weapons, but I doubt it.

By first customer, are you referring to person A paying person B? It will
probably be a while before anyone pays for a complete launch, but somebody
like Tito could buy a ride. If we had a hotel on the moon, a company might
pay for a complete launch to get supplies, machines, or people up there.

Old September 20th 03, 01:29 PM
ralph buttigieg

MattWriter wrote in message
If there is going to be a HLLV (defined as a launcher capable of

placing
40Mt+i nto LEO) in the future which one of the following will
be the first customer? BRBR

The only thing I can think of that is even slightly likely to happen soon

make the HLLV a going proposition is the space-based laser. IF it's built,
indididual lasers will weigh 40 tons or more by some estimates. You can

either
build a heavy-lift or do on-orbit assembly. If I were in charge, I would

build
the heavy lifter as the simpler and probably cheaper long-term solution.

I tend to agree. The experimental SBL which is being worked weights 20
tonnes.
The deployable satellite is bound to be bigger.

The SBL project is ticking along at a slow pace at the moment with only
10-20% of
the funding originally requested. (have a look at www.highfrontier.org for
more details) I'll be interested to see what happens if the Chinese move
substantially into space. If the US felt that Chinese space power was a
threat to American space systems there would be a case for the early
deployment of SBL to maintain US control of Space.

ta

Ralph

Old September 20th 03, 03:46 PM
MattWriter

If there is going to be a HLLV (defined as a launcher capable of placing
40Mt+i nto LEO) in the future which one of the following will
be the first customer? BRBR

The only thing I can think of that is even slightly likely to happen soon to
make the HLLV a going proposition is the space-based laser. IF it's built,
indididual lasers will weigh 40 tons or more by some estimates. You can either
build a heavy-lift or do on-orbit assembly. If I were in charge, I would build
the heavy lifter as the simpler and probably cheaper long-term solution.

Matt Bille
)
OPINIONS IN ALL POSTS ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR