Chromacor!!!

Old February 24th 05, 12:35 PM
Robert Geake

Default Chromacor!!!

Hello Laydees and Gentlefolk.

Have any of you had any experience with the following toy?
I have a 6" F8 and recent discoverd whilst viewing Jupiter the most=20
awfull coloration. Im thinking of buying one of these to cure it but=20
=A3500 is a lot of cash if it does not improve the scope to a =A3900+=20
standard refractor(Borg 101 and such).

http://www.astrobuffet.com/ab/chromacor_main.html

I mean from what ive read it can improve and Evostar 150 to match the=20
performance of a far dearer scope than the cost of the 150+the cost of=20
the chromacor.....

And please...No offencive language in the replies...I am a laydee after=20
all!!!

Roberta
Old February 24th 05, 01:16 PM

Dear Roberta

I've been following the Chromacor saga since obtaining my own 6" f/8.
The word on the street is that it works if you get the distance exactly
right. Which usually involves using the correct star diagonal and two
empty filter rings. Collimation is critical.

If you do a search for chromacor on a number of refracator orientated
Yahoo groups "Chinese refractor" and Refractors" and
"sci.astro.astronomer" you will discover a number of irreconcilable
facts. Some say there are only a handful about. Others that they cost
twice as much in Europe as in the USA. Some say they work but others
not. You also need one that exactly matches your objective's spherical
error. O2, O1, N, U1 & U2 are available.

There are two models at present and a pre-collimated, star-diagonal
pre-fitted Mk111 supposedly on the way. The Mk1 has the first with the
smallest field and lower correcion than the later and supposedly better
Mk11. These are referreed to as Chromacor1 & Chromacor2.

Ian King has some experience of Chromacors, if he's about. Sol Robins
uses one to great effect to make dramatic planetary drawings at very
high powers. Others hate Chromacor and detest its inventor.

I wouldn't mind one myself. But the asking price is a bit steep over
here in Europe. Secondhand ones are only very rarely listed. Presumubly
changing hands privately.

Rergards
Chris.B

Old February 24th 05, 04:43 PM

My apologies. It pains me to admit that what really I meant was
"sci.astro.amateur" rather than the ficticious astro ng name which I
used in error. Put it down to snow-blindness.

Chris.B

Old February 24th 05, 06:45 PM
Martin Frey

Robert Geake wrote:

http://www.astrobuffet.com/ab/chromacor_main.html

I mean from what ive read it can improve and Evostar 150 to match the
performance of a far dearer scope than the cost of the 150+the cost of
the chromacor.....

There have been issues with setting up the Chromacorr and with picking
the right model - it can correct for spherical aberration if you get
the right one and know what the error is in your scope. Ian King had
one and, I think, reckoned it. Contact him through

www.Iankingimaging.com

Cheers

Martin

--