ASTRO: NGC 4762

Old April 24th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 4762

Also from one of the bright nights at the end of March is this image of NGC
4762 (the very thin galaxy to the left).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 70x3 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/4762-70x3gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4762-70x3gut.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	740
Old April 24th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
Also from one of the bright nights at the end of March is this image of
NGC 4762 (the very thin galaxy to the left).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/6.5, G11 mount,
SXV-H9 camera, 70x3 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/4762-70x3gut.jpg

Stefan

Interesting. No dust lane. Looks like there are faint extensions off
the ends that are much fatter than the bright part. My list just got
longer.
Rick

Old April 27th 07, 03:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
Also from one of the bright nights at the end of March is this image of
NGC
4762 (the very thin galaxy to the left).

Cool image Stefan! That edge-on galaxy goes on forever! The elliptical is
NGC 4754.

These are pretty bright and big galaxies so they should be visible in an 8
or 10 inch scope under dark sky. They're around mag 10 and my 20-inch Dob
will get down to around 13th or 14th mag on galaxies from my front yard and
at least another mag dimmer from my dark-sky camp. I'll have to put the pair
on my targets list for both visual and imaging.

BTW, I often print out my CCD images and related info to use as references
for visual observing, so I get a little more use out of the imaging effort.

George N

Old April 27th 07, 03:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Interesting. No dust lane. Looks like there are faint extensions off the
ends that are much fatter than the bright part. My list just got longer.

Rick,

Notes in NED don't agree on the galaxy type for 4762. It's listed as
either a "spiral" or a "lenticular". Given that it's deep in the Virgo
Cluster it could be an ex-spiral that's been striped of its gas and dust.
There doesn't seem to be any interaction with its neighbor NGC 4754, the
elliptical galaxy in Stefan's image. NED also notes that 4762 has an active
nucleus with O-III emission. The "fat extensions" are described as curved.

Ya...... this pair would make a great target for a long, deep, exposure
with your set-up.

George N