Uranus's axis

Old September 8th 03, 07:28 AM
Paul Schlyter

Default Uranus's axis

In article ,
Russell Wallace wrote:

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 08:46:53 -0700, "Chosp" wrote:

Your question was, in fact, answered.
You used the word pull in the present tense.
Nothing has to continually pull it in a direction
perpendicular to its orbit around the sun.
How it originally got that way is not known
for certain. There simply isn't enough information
to completely rule out any one of a number of
hypotheses.

I suspect "how it originally got that way" was the intent of his
question. That's something I'm curious about as well, though I don't
have a clue about the answer - in particular, if an impact tipped the
axis over (which is the one candidate explanation I know of), how
would that have made its moons follow suit? Are there any hypotheses
which would account for that?

Well, at least that can easily be explained: the moons of Uranus were
formed after the rotational axis of Uranus had been tipped.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/
Old September 8th 03, 06:37 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Paul Schlyter
writes
In article ,
Russell Wallace wrote:

I suspect "how it originally got that way" was the intent of his
question. That's something I'm curious about as well, though I don't
have a clue about the answer - in particular, if an impact tipped the
axis over (which is the one candidate explanation I know of), how
would that have made its moons follow suit? Are there any hypotheses
which would account for that?

Well, at least that can easily be explained: the moons of Uranus were
formed after the rotational axis of Uranus had been tipped.

Not necessarily. The original moons would probably have been ejected or
destroyed during the impact, but if not, tidal forces would bring them
into line with the equator.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 8th 03, 09:12 PM
Russell Wallace

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:37:54 +0100, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

Not necessarily. The original moons would probably have been ejected or
destroyed during the impact

How do you reckon? Wouldn't the impactor miss most or all of them?

but if not, tidal forces would bring them
into line with the equator.

They would? Okay, fair enough. (Why doesn't this happen with e.g.
Earth's moon, various bits of debris orbiting the Sun in inclined
orbits, or globular clusters orbiting our galaxy in such orbits? Is it
a case of they will eventually but the forces involved are relatively
weaker so not enough time has elapsed yet?)

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
To reply by email, remove
Old September 9th 03, 02:43 PM
Greg Neill

wrote:

Not necessarily. The original moons would probably have been ejected or
destroyed during the impact

How do you reckon? Wouldn't the impactor miss most or all of them?

but if not, tidal forces would bring them
into line with the equator.

They would? Okay, fair enough. (Why doesn't this happen with e.g.
Earth's moon, various bits of debris orbiting the Sun in inclined
orbits, or globular clusters orbiting our galaxy in such orbits? Is it
a case of they will eventually but the forces involved are relatively
weaker so not enough time has elapsed yet?)

Earth's moon is rather large as far as moons go. There's
a *lot* of angular momentum to deal with. The relaxation
time would be very long indeed.

Old September 9th 03, 03:45 PM
Russell Wallace

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:43:34 -0400, "Greg Neill"
wrote:

Earth's moon is rather large as far as moons go. There's
a *lot* of angular momentum to deal with. The relaxation
time would be very long indeed.

So if our moon were the size of e.g. Phobos or Deimos, it would be
orbiting over Earth's equator by now? How does that work? I would have
though the gravitational force per kilogram on a moon didn't vary with
the moon's mass?

Old September 9th 03, 04:30 PM
Greg Neill

wrote:

Earth's moon is rather large as far as moons go. There's
a *lot* of angular momentum to deal with. The relaxation
time would be very long indeed.

So if our moon were the size of e.g. Phobos or Deimos, it would be
orbiting over Earth's equator by now? How does that work? I would have
though the gravitational force per kilogram on a moon didn't vary with
the moon's mass?

It's a matter of torque and energy dissipation. In other
words, inertia. Phobos and Deimos are mere specks of
dirt compared with the Moon. So I'd say, yes, if they
were in orbit about the Earth at a comparably close
distance, then they would be tidally locked and orbiting
very nearly in the plane of the equator by now. The
Sun's influence would cause purturbations, of course,
since the equator is tilted w.r.t. the ecliptic.

Old September 9th 03, 06:36 PM
Paul Schlyter

wrote:

Earth's moon is rather large as far as moons go. There's
a *lot* of angular momentum to deal with. The relaxation
time would be very long indeed.

So if our moon were the size of e.g. Phobos or Deimos, it would be
orbiting over Earth's equator by now? How does that work? I would have
though the gravitational force per kilogram on a moon didn't vary with
the moon's mass?

It's a matter of torque and energy dissipation. In other
words, inertia. Phobos and Deimos are mere specks of
dirt compared with the Moon. So I'd say, yes, if they
were in orbit about the Earth at a comparably close
distance, then they would be tidally locked and orbiting
very nearly in the plane of the equator by now.

Yes they would, but the reason would be the proximity to the
Earth, not their small sizes.

Phobos and Deimos may be tiny specks compared to the Moon,
but they're huge giants compared to the artificial satellites
we've launched. And our artificial satellites don't move
towards an equatorial orbit much faster because of their
very low mass....

Old September 9th 03, 08:03 PM
Greg Neill

"Paul Schlyter" wrote in message
Greg Neill wrote:

It's a matter of torque and energy dissipation. In other
words, inertia. Phobos and Deimos are mere specks of
dirt compared with the Moon. So I'd say, yes, if they
were in orbit about the Earth at a comparably close
distance, then they would be tidally locked and orbiting
very nearly in the plane of the equator by now.

Yes they would, but the reason would be the proximity to the
Earth, not their small sizes.

Phobos and Deimos may be tiny specks compared to the Moon,
but they're huge giants compared to the artificial satellites
we've launched. And our artificial satellites don't move
towards an equatorial orbit much faster because of their
very low mass....

Suppose we could perform two trials. In one we
put, say, Phobos in a given proximate orbit to
the Earth and timed its orbit's relaxation to
an equitorial one, and then did the same with a
small satellite (after removing Phobos, of course).

Would we see the same relaxation time? What
factors might influence the results? Certainly
the smaller satellite would present less volume for
tidal action (inverse cube with distance) and
dissipation of energy in its structure. The
satellite would also be much more rigid. The small
satellite would not raise measurable tides on the
Earth, but then tides due to Phobos would be tiny,
too. The larger size of Phobos would present a
slightly larger "handle" for torques, due to the
tidal bulge of the Earth, to act.

In computing the gravitational parameter mu for
the system, the satellite's mass would be totally
negligible, and Phobos' nearly so. But the
mutual gravitational force would be ever so slightly
larger and the orbital period ever so slightly
shorter.

Have I missed anything?