Uranus's axis

Old September 5th 03, 07:08 PM
Bill

Default Uranus's axis

I am new to astrology. Can someone tell me how Uranus rotates on an axis 90
degrees from its rotation around the sun. What pulls it around in a
direction perpendicular to its orbit around the sun?

Old September 5th 03, 07:24 PM
Greg Neill

"Bill" wrote in message
news
I am new to astrology.

Sorry to hear that. Why not switch to astronomy before
any permanent brain damage occurs?

Can someone tell me how Uranus rotates on an axis 90
degrees from its rotation around the sun. What pulls it around in a
direction perpendicular to its orbit around the sun?

Nothing pulls it; It's a matter of rotational inertia.
The planet's rotational axis remains (almost) in a
fixed orientation in space while the planet itself
goes around the Sun.

I said "almost" in the above because, like every other
planet, there are perturbations due to external influences
that will make the axis wobble and precess slightly, just
as Earth's axis wobbles and precesses.

Old September 5th 03, 10:21 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Greg Neill
writes
"Bill" wrote in message
news
I am new to astrology.

Sorry to hear that. Why not switch to astronomy before
any permanent brain damage occurs?

Can someone tell me how Uranus rotates on an axis 90
degrees from its rotation around the sun. What pulls it around in a
direction perpendicular to its orbit around the sun?

Nothing pulls it; It's a matter of rotational inertia.
The planet's rotational axis remains (almost) in a
fixed orientation in space while the planet itself
goes around the Sun.

The interesting question is _why_ Uranus has that inclination, when the
other planets except Pluto have inclinations either near zero or between
20 and 30 degrees. ISTR that a huge impact event has been proposed (as
it has for Venus) but I don't know if that's still believed.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 5th 03, 11:23 PM
Bruce Sterling Woodcock

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message
In message , Greg Neill
writes
"Bill" wrote in message
news
I am new to astrology.

Sorry to hear that. Why not switch to astronomy before
any permanent brain damage occurs?

Can someone tell me how Uranus rotates on an axis 90
degrees from its rotation around the sun. What pulls it around in a
direction perpendicular to its orbit around the sun?

Nothing pulls it; It's a matter of rotational inertia.
The planet's rotational axis remains (almost) in a
fixed orientation in space while the planet itself
goes around the Sun.

The interesting question is _why_ Uranus has that inclination, when the
other planets except Pluto have inclinations either near zero or between
20 and 30 degrees. ISTR that a huge impact event has been proposed (as
it has for Venus) but I don't know if that's still believed.

Venus is near 180, not 0.

Bruce

Old September 6th 03, 11:06 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Bruce
Sterling Woodcock writes

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message

The interesting question is _why_ Uranus has that inclination, when the
other planets except Pluto have inclinations either near zero or between
20 and 30 degrees. ISTR that a huge impact event has been proposed (as
it has for Venus) but I don't know if that's still believed.

Venus is near 180, not 0.

You're right, of course. I was quoting "The New Solar System" which uses
a figure of 2 degrees and ignores the retrograde rotation.
Old September 6th 03, 04:06 PM
John Curtis

"Bill" wrote in message nk.net...
I am new to astrology. Can someone tell me how Uranus rotates on an axis 90
degrees from its rotation around the sun. What pulls it around in a
direction perpendicular to its orbit around the sun?

If you follow Greg's advice toward astronomy, you may become
interested in a more speculative interpretation.
Uranus has two (at times perpendicular) motions: toward Galactic
Center and toward the Sun.
When in front of the Sun, in its Galactic path, Uranus' Galactic
speed is slowed by Sun's gravity, thereby allowing the Sun to
pass Uranus. When behind the Sun, Uranus is accelerated by
Sun's gravity to pass the Sun.
When viewed from the Galactic frame, at no time does Uranus
move backwards. Its Galactic speed is alternately accelerated and
slowed in passing and being passed by the Sun.
John Curtis
Old September 7th 03, 01:15 PM
Bill

I apologize for using the word astrology instead of astronomy, however I was
surprised that no one knew the answer and could only reply to my misuse of
words. I was disappointed. Thanks anyway.
news

Old September 7th 03, 03:20 PM
Greg Neill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I apologize for using the word astrology instead of astronomy, however I was
surprised that no one knew the answer and could only reply to my misuse of
words. I was disappointed. Thanks anyway.

??? You received several answers. How is it you missed them?

Old September 7th 03, 04:46 PM
Chosp

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I apologize for using the word astrology instead of astronomy, however I

was
surprised that no one knew the answer and could only reply to my misuse of
words. I was disappointed. Thanks anyway.

It was your misuse of the concepts behind the words
that will keep you disappointed.
Your question was, in fact, answered.
You used the word pull in the present tense.
Nothing has to continually pull it in a direction
perpendicular to its orbit around the sun.
How it originally got that way is not known
for certain. There simply isn't enough information
to completely rule out any one of a number of
hypotheses. However, once it got that way,
good, old-fashioned inertia is what keeps
it going that way.

news

Old September 8th 03, 07:28 AM
Paul Schlyter

In article ,
Greg Neill wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I apologize for using the word astrology instead of astronomy,
however I was surprised that no one knew the answer and could
only reply to my misuse of words. I was disappointed. Thanks anyway.

??? You received several answers. How is it you missed them?

In one way he was right though: currently, science has no answer to
why Uranus' rotation axis has such a large inclination. And some
people who don't understand the scientific process but instead view
science as a kind of religion get disappointed when learning about
something science cannot explain.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/