I am the American Sailor.

Old November 14th 04, 06:01 PM
OM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:28:07 -0800, Mary Shafer
wrote:

"Put out my hand and touched the face of Cthulu"

Nah, I don't think so. It doesn't scan.

....More like "Stretched out my hand, and shook the tentacle of
Cthulu."

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 14th 04, 06:43 PM
Chuck Stewart

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:28:07 -0800, Mary Shafer wrote:

Have you seen "Hello Cthulu" at:
http://www.hello-cthulhu.com/?date=2004-11-09

Hmmm... OLd news

Probably not what Lovecraft had in mind.

Incorrect. THIS is what Lovecraft didn't have in mind:
http://www.yamabuki.sakura.ne.jp/~ilek-vad/hpl/cg/index.htm

I especially like it when the Elder Thing solves the shoggoth
problem...

Mary

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Old November 14th 04, 07:19 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...More like "Stretched out my hand, and shook the tentacle of
Cthulu."

My Flight:

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Ry'leth
and danced the skies on slimey and unwholesome wings;
sunward I've climbed, and joined the chaotic death
of lightning-riven clouds- and done abominable things
that you could not conceive of- shifted and slew and fed
high in the unspeakable silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the the buzzing Fungi from Yuggoth along, and made dead
that which dared breath that burnt and blighted air.
Up, up the twisted nightmare blue,
I've topped the cursed heavens with evil grace!
Where never Nightgaunt, or even Elder Thing flew-
and there with silently screaming mind I've trod
the mind-numbing horror of space,
reached out me claws, and touched something foul, and odd.

(Poem found in an old Arab bookstore) :-)

Pat

Old November 14th 04, 08:54 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

My Flight:

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Ry'leth
and danced the skies on slimey and unwholesome wings;
sunward I've climbed, and joined the chaotic death
of lightning-riven clouds- and done abominable things
that you could not conceive of- shifted and slew and fed
high in the unspeakable silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the the buzzing Fungi from Yuggoth along, and made dead
that which dared breath that burnt and blighted air.
Up, up the twisted nightmare blue,
I've topped the cursed heavens with evil grace!
Where never Nightgaunt, or even Elder Thing flew-
and there with silently screaming mind I've trod
the mind-numbing horror of space,
reached out me claws, and touched something foul, and odd.

(Poem found in an old Arab bookstore) :-)

Well, I just cribbed that for an email to a friend.

Of course now we know the truth of the poem Reagan used to commemerate the
Challenger astronauts.

And we thought Nancy's interest in the occult was mundane!

Pat

Old November 15th 04, 12:45 AM
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Well, I just cribbed that for an email to a friend.

Never underestimate the advantages of having a library card to the
"forbidden stacks" section of Miskatonic University; nor a handy copy of
"S. Petersen's Field Guide To Cthulhu Monsters"* ready at all
times...nor for that matter, a huge Japanese vinyl model of the old boy
himself staring down from a nearby bookcase at you. :-)

Pat

* The quickie flow chart to determine what exactly you are dealing with
is an all-time classic:
"QUESTION NUMBER 12- DOES IT HAVE EYES?
No- go to question number 13.
Yes- go to question number 14."

Old November 15th 04, 09:21 AM
Paul Blay

"Chuck Stewart" wrote ...

Incorrect. THIS is what Lovecraft didn't have in mind:
http://www.yamabuki.sakura.ne.jp/~ilek-vad/hpl/cg/index.htm

Most excellent.

$BF|K\8l$,J,$k$s$G$9$+!#(B

I'd do (somewhat dubious) translations if anybody's interested ... but
I'd want to charge in line with the potential for head imploding, soul
stealing, eternal torment risk.

Old November 16th 04, 09:01 PM
dave schneider

(Derek Lyons) wrote in message ...
Pat Flannery wrote:

You want to know what he missed? He missed the submariners that went
into the Soviet harbors in the Barent's Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk and
laid down the cable taps...

At the time the original was written, those ops were not widely and
publically known.

About 1979?

Google gets about 70 hits on this, with most sites saying "author
unknown", and of course many making no attribution at all (a great
American tradition ;-}); a few, like
http://www.usstoledoca133.com/crossing_the_bar.htm,
saying "Author unknown - Letter found on the steps leading to the
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier."
http://womenofthewaves.com/whitecaps/april2004/page21.htm and
http://www.hazegray.org/features/cole/american_sailor.htm say
"Attributed to MCPO Gene Wallace",
http://www.bluejacket.com/usn_american_sailor.html giving credit to
"MUCM J. Wallace, USN".

http://www.shipmates.com/A_Sailor.cfm similarly says "- Author - An
original work by Navy Band personnel. The music was written by MUCM
Jeffrey Taylor and the words were written by MUCM Jere Wallace, both
retired.

http://goatlocker.exis.net/asailor.htm gives a detailed explanation:

The project was a collaborative musical work with narration composed
in
1979 by two talented Navy Band Master Chief Musicians; MUCM Jere
Wallace
penned the words and MUCM Jeffrey Taylor composed the music. It has
been
performed on a variety of concerts, including the concert in October
1998 honoring the United States Navy's 223rd Birthday featuring
Gregory
Peck as narrator. It also is the title track on a Navy Band record
album
produced in the early 1980's, "I am the American Sailor" and included
in
the band's "75th Anniversary Collection" produced in 2000. (these
albums
may still be available at local libraries or educational institutions)

Master Chief Wallace retired in 1981 and passed away on 6 October,
2001;
Master Chief Taylor retired in 1997 and is still active in the music
industry.

/dps
Old November 19th 04, 01:13 AM
D Schneider

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:45:37 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

[...]
* The quickie flow chart to determine what exactly you are dealing with
is an all-time classic:
"QUESTION NUMBER 12- DOES IT HAVE EYES?
No- go to question number 13.
Yes- go to question number 14."

That good-old dichotomous key! My 9th grade biology text (one of the new
ones of that decade, BSCS or somesuch) had a portion for dealing with
insects; the one Pat has sounds much more useful!

/dps

Old November 19th 04, 07:44 AM
Pat Flannery

D Schneider wrote:

That good-old dichotomous key! My 9th grade biology text (one of the
new ones of that decade, BSCS or somesuch) had a portion for dealing
with insects; the one Pat has sounds much more useful!

I had the same one, now that you mention it; I also had one like that
for identifying minerals
Let's try one path from the book.

1.) IS IT INVISIBLE?
Yes- Go to question 2.
No- Go to question 3.

We can see the sucker...

3.) DOES IT HAVE A SHAPE?
Yes- Go to question 4.
No- Go to question 22.
It has many shapes, each consistent- NYARLATHOTEP, see pages 48-49

....It only has one shape.

4.) IS IT WORM-LIKE IN SHAPE?
Yes- Go to question 5.
No- Go to question 7.

....It's hideous, but not worm-like in its hideousness.

7.) DOES IT HAVE A HEAD?
Yes- Go to question 10.
No- Go to question 8.

...It's got a head. It's got an appalling big-eyed head on a stalk.

10. DOES IT HAVE WINGS?
Yes- Go to question 11.
No- Go to question 15.

....Nope, no wings. It's got lots of other weird **** sticking out of the
top of it around the head though.

15. IS THE THING'S BODY...
Conical and legless?- GREAT RACE OF YITH, see pages 36-37
Non-conical, generally with legs?

(Flips through book to pages 36-37)
Yup, that's the thing in question all right!
Luckily, these things are supposed to be friendly
....as to what I'm doing several million years in the past though... that
is a very good question.

(gets Star Trek Tech manual)

1.) DID SOME ONE REVERSE A TACHYON FIELD?
Yes- Go to question 12.
No- Go to question 2.

2.) IS Q INVOLVED?
Yes- Go to question 35.
No- Go to question 3.

3.) IS JAMES T. KIRK INVOLVED?
Yes- Just give up. Especially if you happen to be wearing a red shirt.
No- Are you _sure_ Q isn't involved? Have you asked Guinan? Have you
asked Guinan _nicely_? Are you sure it's really Guinan, and not Q in
disguise? ;-)

Pat