Machholz and single malt

Old December 21st 04, 10:27 PM
Bill Becker

"Joe S." wrote in message
Last night was a rare one here in NE TN -- skies were clear, cold, and
steady, 24 deg, light wind -- stars were not twinkling at all. As the
moon
slid down to the west, I pulled out my XT-8, found Rigel, and swept to the
west and -- jackpot -- there was comet Machholz -- a fuzzy blob, no
discernible tail but the head was clearly bright and dense. As I looked
longer and longer I determined that the fuzzy part did extend farther in
one
direction than the other. Comet looked good at three mags -- 38X (32mm TV
Plossl), 67X (18mm Meade SWA), and 171X (7mm Nagler).

Moved over to Orion, put in a nebula filter and spent 15 minutes staring
at
M48 -- very nice.

Switched to my cheapie 40mm 2-inch EP and checked out Pleiades --
sparkling.

Hauled everything back into the garage and headed inside for two fingers
of
17-year-old Lahproaig.

Hope to repeat tonight -- except I'll close out the evening with two
fingers
of Dalwhinnie.

--

-----
Joe S.

I've got some beer that's up to 8 years old and they're aging nicely as we
speak. ;^)

Best regards,
Bill

Old December 21st 04, 10:36 PM
Marty

garysizer was asking
Could it possibly be that amateur
astonomers in general have more
disposable income?

Well, probably not the ones that buy Nght Train...
To get back to Howard Lester's observation...
Can't say for sure, but the worst WINE
I've ever drunk was "Night Train."
Tasted like kerosene mixed with light
machine oil.

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
Marty

Of course you would be familiar with
both! =A0

Well, the bouquet is kerosene. The tactile sense on the palate is 3 in
1 oil.
Marty

Old December 21st 04, 11:58 PM
md

wrote in message
ups.com...
Could it possibly be that amateur astonomers in general have more
disposable income?

perhaps, but I think amateur astronomers are , on average, older than the average people.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
Howard Lester

"Marty" wrote

Well, the bouquet is kerosene. The tactile sense on the palate is 3 in
1 oil.
Marty

With just a hint of [poison] oak....