[Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

Old February 6th 07, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Herb Schaltegger

Default [Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

I don't really know what to say about this. Pat, take it away . . .

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-bk-
nasaastronaut0507feb05,0,6104316.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

--
You can run on for a long time,
Sooner or later, God'll cut you down.

Old February 6th 07, 02:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

Aside from JSC and NASA's reaction, it will be interesting to see how
Susan Helms handles this.

~ CT

From Herb::

Old February 6th 07, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
David Higgins

Herb Schaltegger wrote:
I don't really know what to say about this. Pat, take it away . . .

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-bk-
nasaastronaut0507feb05,0,6104316.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Also on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/05/space.love/index.html
...and MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/

*Very* strange.

Old February 6th 07, 05:56 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Bill Baker

On 2007-02-05 18:17:54 -0800, Herb Schaltegger
said:

I don't really know what to say about this. Pat, take it away . . .

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-bk-
nasaastronaut0507feb05,0,6104316.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Holy crap, she's a ring-knocker to boot. Same USNA class as a best
buddy of mine from high school.

Three kids...oh man, this is so sad. They may not nail her for actual
kidnapping, but it sure looks like they've got the evidence to nail her
for attempted kidnapping. She's looking at a goodly stretch in a
Federal pen even if she pleas out.

Old February 6th 07, 06:00 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Herb Schaltegger wrote:
I don't really know what to say about this. Pat, take it away . . .

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-bk-
nasaastronaut0507feb05,0,6104316.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

For starters, this: http://tinyurl.com/
And now, over to the lead story on MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/
... and then....NASA Watch: "Another life SENSELESSLY DESTROYED by
NASA!!!!" :-)
I've run into hundreds of pilots over the years, and I assumed their
peculiarities of behavior were due to anoxia.
With this, and "Leap Of Faith" to go by...it's about time to consider
solar storms and radiation flux at higher levels above Earth's sea level
in regards to abnormal brain activity.
This would surely explain Aspen, Colorado, wouldn't it?
"Never trust anyone from over twenty five hundred feet above sea level!"

Pat Flannery
The Movement
"You don't have to be a weatherman to figure out which way the barometer
is moving."

Old February 6th 07, 06:06 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From David Higgins:
*Very* strange.

Even stranger to see how Nowak's life plays like a New Order
compilation. From Substance:

- 1963 (born)
- True Faith
- The Beach
- State of the Nation
- Ceremony

That was her life pre-BillyO, and then...

- Temptation
- Perfect Kiss
- Thieves Like Us

- Bizarre Love Triangle
- Hurt
- Confusion
- Cries and Whispers

- Everything's Gone Green
- Subculture
- Shellshock

- Procession
- In a Lonely Place
- Lonesome Tonight
- Shame of the Nation
- Blue Monday

With all the weapons and junk she had on her, at least it didn't get
to...

- Kiss of Death
- Murder

~ CT

Old February 6th 07, 06:11 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Jim Oberg

Default WTF? Astronaut[S] behaving badly? Other felonious examples?

What sorts of other troubles have other astronauts
gotten into with the Law (as opposed to, say,
with George Abbey)?

Old February 6th 07, 06:13 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

David Higgins wrote:

Also on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/05/space.love/index.html
..and MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/

*Very* strange.

What can one say?
"Space Madness".

Cadet Stimpy
Old February 6th 07, 06:17 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Jim Oberg wrote:
What sorts of other troubles have other astronauts
gotten into with the Law (as opposed to, say,
with George Abbey)?

Well, there's that cosmonaut who stepped in front of a train.
Has Paula Abdul ever been in space?

Pat
Old February 6th 07, 06:41 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Bill Baker

On 2007-02-05 22:11:53 -0800, "Jim Oberg" said:

What sorts of other troubles have other astronauts
gotten into with the Law (as opposed to, say,
with George Abbey)?

Jim, that question sounds like you're looking for "comparable offenses"
background for a follow-up article to the straight new reports. I
think you're on the wrong tack.

--This is an already-flown NASA astronaut who, if first reports are
accurate, has come within a hair's breadth of committing a capitol
offense. If another astronaut had gotten even close to that level of
criminal offense, you'd know it off the top of your head. For example,
if one of the Right Stuff boys had knocked a little old lady into the
swamp whilst driving his Corvette back from the pad at KSC--and been
drunk to boot--you're still an order of magnatude behind what this
woman is alleged to have done in terms of criminal law. I mean,
driving hundreds of miles, donning a disguise, assembling a
kidnap/murder kit...if all that's true, it constitutes the kind of
prior intent that translates into years of Federal prison time. This
is a premeditated crime. If the facts as reported so far are correct,
she's way, way more screwed than any American astronaut has ever been.
Comparisons will be relatively pointless.

--Conversely, if the facts are as alleged, it points to a terribly
warped implementation of the kind of meticulous planning that NASA
expects of its astronauts. There, I would suggest, is the real story.
If a NASA astronaut--regardless of gender--were to plan a kidnapping
or murder of passion, isn't the story we have so far a relatively
textbook projection of how they'd do it? Accounting for a certain
degree desparate lameness (lots of tools, absurd/pointless
self-sacrifice [wearing diapers] and rather pathetic estimation of the
human factors interface ["I'll just knock on the window and of course
the bimbo will let me snatch her..."], of course.