Drones my be the next sort of thing to ruin astronomy

Old February 26th 17, 06:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Drones my be the next sort of thing to ruin astronomy

Most don't care much about light-pollutionng and because of that, "Drone shows" like the one they had at the SuperBowl might become another annoyance or even drones flying at night with little lights on them. Recently, the Chinese put 10,000 drones into the night sky with blazing LEDs to create some kind of show. We can only hope this is a short-term thing, an hour long show and we don't have lit drones flying all of the place at night.
Old February 26th 17, 11:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:09:39 PM UTC-8, RichA wrote:
Most don't care much about light-pollutionng and because of that, "Drone shows" like the one they had at the SuperBowl might become another annoyance or even drones flying at night with little lights on them. Recently, the Chinese put 10,000 drones into the night sky with blazing LEDs to create some kind of show. We can only hope this is a short-term thing, an hour long show and we don't have lit drones flying all of the place at night.

Drones are getting quite restriction lately, like max flying height, 5 miles from nearest airports, snooping on people, distance from crowds and events, restriction flying in parks, near residential areas etc...
I'm sure the drone light restriction will be an issue also, like can't fly after dusk without permit or proper lights, color etc...
Now days certain drones/operator has to be licensed and serial numbered, other wise can be $10K fine! Other serious offense is flying near airport without permit. Big fine!
If Amazon crash it's drone in my backyard, I'll keep it! (o:
Old February 27th 17, 01:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Sunday, 26 February 2017 05:12:41 UTC-5, StarDust wrote:
[...]

Yes, "fly at night with the proper lights." Imagine hundreds of delivery drones zipping around at night delivering things.
Old February 27th 17, 03:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 21:09:37 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

Most don't care much about light-pollutionng and because of that, "Drone shows" like the one they had at the SuperBowl might become another annoyance or even drones flying at night with little lights on them. Recently, the Chinese put 10,000 drones into the night sky with blazing LEDs to create some kind of show. We can only hope this is a short-term thing, an hour long show and we don't have lit drones flying all of the place at night.

It's not going to be an issue anyplace where dark skies exist. And it
isn't going to make any significant difference in places where they
don't.
Old February 27th 17, 08:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Pretty soon, it won't be a problem, it looks like.

Not with news items like this:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...nton-supplies/

John Savard
Old February 27th 17, 08:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Monday, 27 February 2017 08:04:15 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
Pretty soon, it won't be a problem, it looks like.

Not with news items like this:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...nton-supplies/

John Savard

Presumably the targets hadn't paid their "protection" money?