Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?

Old February 7th 07, 10:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

Default Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:59:08 -0600, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

What an overblown bunch of nonsense. That "worm" requires the user to
download, decompress and execute the file then enter their admin password to
cause any damage.

....And yes, most Mac users are stupid enough to do just that. Which is
why the trojan works.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old February 8th 07, 12:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message
.com...

What an overblown bunch of nonsense. That "worm" requires the user to
download, decompress and execute the file then enter their admin password
cause any damage.

And you'd be surprised at the number of worms on Windows platforms that
require almost exactly the same thing.

The weak point will almost always be the user. :-(

Anyway, I've got a WOPR of a solution to the problem. :-)

(anyway more to the other person who claimed I was nitpicking, yes, I was.
And Herb knows it. It was partly directed at him, but more at the more
ignorant people who will always think a Mac is safer "just because". (and
for the record I've seen more linux servers hacked in my work than windows
boxes. In that case it really comes down to the quality of the admins.)

You might just as well whip up a shell script to do the same thing and
send
the user an email telling him to execute it. That's NOT the definition of
true virus, which can propagate, replicate and cause damage on its own
without user intervention, like those thousands of Windows exploits in the
wild.

--
You can run on for a long time,
Sooner or later, God'll cut you down.

Old February 8th 07, 12:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
Herb Schaltegger

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:08:23 -0600, OM wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

What an overblown bunch of nonsense. That "worm" requires the user to
download, decompress and execute the file then enter their admin password
cause any damage.

...And yes, most Mac users are stupid enough to do just that. Which is
why the trojan works.

Guess again old son. It DOESN'T work. It's been a year since then and NO
ONE I know has ever had it. I run ClamX AV on my Mac just to avoid passing
on the hundreds of Windows viruses I see in email attachments every year.
Never once saw Leap-A or any other claimed exploit.

OM

Old February 8th 07, 01:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:49:54 -0600, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

Guess again old son. It DOESN'T work.

....Ah, denial. The Mac Geek's primary defense against reality :-)

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old February 8th 07, 04:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message
.com...
It's been a year since then and NO
ONE I know has ever had it.

....that would admit it, anyway.

Old February 8th 07, 01:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
Herb Schaltegger

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:25:05 -0600, Scott Hedrick wrote
(in article ):

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message
.com...
It's been a year since then and NO
ONE I know has ever had it.

...that would admit it, anyway.

If they had exectued Leap-A and gotten their systems infected, it would have
tried to propagate through their IM chats. Since no one I know with a Mac
has ever passed along something like that to me, I can safely surmise that no
one I know has gotten hit.

Unlike, say, the dozens of infected emails I get every year from Windows
users when something grabs their Outlook address book and starts sending
messages all over the place . . .

--
You can run on for a long time,
Sooner or later, God'll cut you down.
~Johnny Cash

Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties? Rand Simberg Policy 117 February 3rd 07 01:57 AM
US space weapons no threat, but 'treaties' may be Jim Oberg Policy 1 November 13th 06 03:52 PM
European and Chinese space cooperation highlighted by visit of Chinese Prime Minister Jacques van Oene News 0 December 10th 04 03:29 PM
Chinese do it! Andrew Tubbiolo Policy 48 October 28th 03 07:23 PM
Chinese frequencies? Rupert Goodwins History 9 October 28th 03 03:11 AM