[Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

Old February 7th 07, 12:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

Default Is sex better in Zero-g? [Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Jim wrote:
Judy Resnik was s--- hot though. Man was she beautiful
Jim in Houston

The thing I always remember about Resnick is that mass of hair of hers
billowing out in zero G - I kept wondering: "Aren't they concerned that's
going to get sucked into one of the ventilation fans?".

according to Mullane, her hair *did* snarl the drive mechanism of the IMAX
camera, IIRC. She was majorly bummed about that since it fed right into the
stereotype. The "cheerleader" pose in the famous crew pic certainly didn't
help any.

--
Terrell Miller

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the
work of one extraordinary man."
- Elbert Hubbard

Old February 7th 07, 12:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

"OM" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 00:19:09 -0500, "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

actually, astros who knew Ride and Resnik seem to think the former fit the
stereotype perfectly, while Judi was a wonderful lady.

...Which stereotype? Bitch or bimbo?

the card-carrying feminazi stereotype. Mullane's opinion is that's why Sally
Ride was the first American woman in space instead of the much-more-feminine
(and much less histrionic) Resnik or Seddon. Geez, Rhea even married one of
the Bubbas and bore his love child, talk about the anti-Steinem g

Old February 7th 07, 12:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick

Default WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Depends.

You know, the diaper part baffles me.
She'd have had to stop for gas, couldn't she go then?
By the time this is all over, I'll bet it's going to be one strange
story.

hey, that's a great timesaving idea: pee-at-the-pump!

Well, my dad and I put a 70 gallon tank in the back of his truck, which
already had two tanks. When one tank got dry, we ran a line from the big
tank to it and used a very small pump. By the time the second tank ran dry,
the first was almost fill. Took about 30 seconds to stop, move the hose, and
get back up to speed. We travelled nearly 900 miles before having to stop to
refuel. Being Manly Men (tm), we could have just peed in a jug, but being a
diabetic, I would have needed several jugs. Start with an empty 2 liter
bottle and carry water in the others, you have an empty one by the time
you've filled the first one.

Old February 7th 07, 12:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

Default [Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

"Jim" wrote in message
news

We are not talking murder, we are talking, at the most, stalking, and
assault with intent to kidnap. This is a minor felony charge.

"minor" felony?!? You mean in the "not a capital crime" sense, I guess.

The fly
in the ointment comes with the interstate travel to commit the crime.
She never followed through on the kidnap.

only because the victim managed to escape at the start of the attack. That's
kind of like saying Squeaky Fromme wasn't guilty of assassination since they
got Ford out of there before she shot him.

Her lawyers will argue that
she only asked for a ride and just wanted to talk it out.

spraying Mace through the car window kind of invalidates that argument, eh?
So does all the paraphenalia she brought with her.

Look at the
OJ case for guidance on this one. This one will be an interesting one
to follow.

indeed

Old February 7th 07, 12:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jim

Jim wrote:
Judy Resnik was s--- hot though. Man was she beautiful
Jim in Houston

The thing I always remember about Resnick is that mass of hair of hers
billowing out in zero G - I kept wondering: "Aren't they concerned that's
going to get sucked into one of the ventilation fans?".

according to Mullane, her hair *did* snarl the drive mechanism of the IMAX
camera, IIRC. She was majorly bummed about that since it fed right into the
stereotype. The "cheerleader" pose in the famous crew pic certainly didn't
help any.

Beautiful hair and a smile and eyes that would light up the sky. I
really miss Judy. Smart, beautiful, great sense of humor, and being
Jewish I'd bet she could out cook anyone anywhere. I didn't see the
cheerleader pose. Pls. post it if you have it.
Jim in Houston
osPAm
Nurse's creed: Fill what's empty, empty what's full,
and scratch where it itches!! RN does NOT mean Real Nerd!
Old February 7th 07, 12:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 04:59:21 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Jim wrote:
We are not talking murder, we are talking, at the most, stalking, and
assault with intent to kidnap.

The DA has her down for attempted first degree murder, although that
seems awfully over-the-top to me.

When you're going for a plea, you start with a high negotiating
position. And in fact, you can make a reasonable case for it, though
perhaps not one that you'll get all twelve on a jury to buy.
Old February 7th 07, 12:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jim

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 04:55:46 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Jim wrote:
I've got a "C" note that says she walks away with probation and
community service.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the defense team goes with a
psychiatric defense; this whole thing makes me think she had some sort
of breakdown.

Pat

I think you hit it on the head Pat. Temp insanity is a real
possibility.
Old February 7th 07, 12:53 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
mike flugennock

Brian Thorn wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:21:40 -0500, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
. ..

How long before this turns up as a LIFETIME movie of the week, where
this whole mess will be Offelein's fault... :-)

No kidding. How many different ways can you make a movie about how a man
screws up a woman's life?

Only a few. Lifetime remakes the same storyline over and over...

Coming Soon...
"Love Beyond The Atmosphe A Lifetime Original Movie..."

Wow, that title might play well on (ahem) Oxygen Network...

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old February 7th 07, 01:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Higgins

Rusty wrote:
Strapping on a diaper and driving 900 miles "nonstop" to whack somebody
is normal?

Depends.

You're my hero.
Old February 7th 07, 02:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Higgins

Terrell Miller wrote:
she drove 900 miles (12-15 hours) [...]
That's not a psoychotic episode, that's deliberate, premeditated, sustained,
felonious criminal intent.

The second affidavit states the (web-sourced) Houston to Orlando maps
she used were printed on January 23rd, almost two weeks before the incident.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...astronut5.html