[Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

Old February 7th 07, 12:09 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

Default [Semi-OT] WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

robert casey wrote:

If the movie _Apollo 13_ is to be believed, it depicts events where the
3 astronauts get into flame wars, "I stirred the damm tanks just like I
was supposed to!". But they quickly pulled themselves out of it, and
got down to working the problems.

I see no reason not to believe it - I saw the same behavior under the
sea. (And I've also seen those flame wars smoulder for weeks and
months after...)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old February 7th 07, 12:13 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

David Higgins wrote:

Also on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/05/space.love/index.html
..and MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/

*Very* strange.

What can one say?
"Space Madness".

Cat fight at Cape Canaveral!

Old February 7th 07, 12:15 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Mary Pegg[_1_]

robert casey wrote:

If the movie _Apollo 13_ is to be believed, it depicts events where the
3 astronauts get into flame wars, "I stirred the damm tanks just like I
was supposed to!". But they quickly pulled themselves out of it, and
got down to working the problems.

IIRC from "the making of" video, that scene was added for dramatic
effect...
Old February 7th 07, 12:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

Default WTF? Astronaut[S] behaving badly? Other felonious examples?

"OM" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 00:17:02 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Has Paula Abdul ever been in space?

...Closest we've ever had was this one MS whose name escapes me, but
she was one of the most irritable Astronauts ever heard on the
downlinks since the last Skylab crew. Only time I've ever heard
someone tell Capcom to "just wait a damn minute, okay?" Again, I can't
remember her name, but Michael Grabois knows her well, and apparently
the reason everyone puts up with her being a bitch all the time is
that she apparently is a master chef when it comes to baking cakes.

Martha something or another, perhaps?

Mary Cleave?

--
Terrell Miller

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the
work of one extraordinary man."
- Elbert Hubbard

Old February 7th 07, 12:35 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

David Higgins wrote:

Strapping on a diaper and driving 900 miles "nonstop" to whack
somebody is normal?

And whack them with a big mallet at that... a peculiarly cartoonish form
of attack.

Pat
Old February 7th 07, 12:38 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default NASA's psychological profiling

Jim Oberg wrote:

Ask a veteran NASA psych profiler:
http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2007/02...-to-earth.html

We can't condemn the whole system because of one little slip-up. ;-)

General Turgidson
Old February 7th 07, 12:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Pascal Bourguignon

Pat Flannery writes:

David Higgins wrote:

Strapping on a diaper and driving 900 miles "nonstop" to whack
somebody is normal?

And whack them with a big mallet at that... a peculiarly cartoonish
form of attack.

And messy. But it tells something about her mental state, her problem
must have reduced her IQ by 100 points at least...

Old February 7th 07, 01:03 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle
Terrell Miller

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"mike flugennock" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Btw, I don't recall...has Nowak flown yet? There's just so damn' many of
them now...

In fact, there are too damn many of them. NASA seems to have far more
astronauts as it really needs.

I'm thinking that was a large part of what drove her over the edge. Before
Lisa's flight last summer she said in interviews that she had no idea
whether she'd ever get another ride. Ever since Columbia it's been obvious
that there are way too many active astros for the number of seats left.
That's hard to swallow for the kind of hyper-overachiever that NASA tends to
hire.

So she slogs through a bunch of unglamorous assignments for a decade, gets
her one ride, plays third-fiddle during the spacewalks...and then nothing.
Meanwhile, one kid is in high school, two others are in soccer-mom-needing
mode. Lisa basically ceased her career as a NFO when she joined NASA a
deceade ago. She can't go back to that easily, if at all.

One thing I think may also have really gotten to her is that Sunita (who is
two years younger, graduated from Canoe U. two years later, and was selected
as an ASCAN two years later, and actually *flew* helos in the Navy, not rode
in the back) just set the record for female spacewalkers on *her* first
mission. Totally blew past Lisa. That's gotta be a blow to the old ego.

Then the guy she's developing feelings for (guess: they had so much in
common, she thought she'd finally found her soul-mate) goes and hooks up
with a much younger woman with much less baggage. Ouch.

The ones I really feel sorry for are her children. How in the hell did she
just get in the car and drive 900 miles and leave them behind?!?

Old February 7th 07, 01:07 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:38:50 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Jim Oberg wrote:

Ask a veteran NASA psych profiler:
http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2007/02...-to-earth.html

We can't condemn the whole system because of one little slip-up. ;-)

A trench coat and wig and, a knife, BB pistol, rubber tubing and
plastic bags, hey, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas
with all that stuff...
Old February 7th 07, 01:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

Default WTF? Astronauts behaving badly!

"kT" wrote in message

That's ridiculous, she had some sort of psychotic episode, her bloodstream
was saturated with hormones and neurotransmitters.

You don't execute people for being temporarily insane, you help them.

What the **** is wrong with you people?

she drove 900 miles (12-15 hours), then checked into a hotel room, and
apparently hung out at the airport waiting for her target. Not to mention
all the prep time to get the "tools" together, research when the flight was
due to arrive, etc. etc.

That's not a psoychotic episode, that's deliberate, premeditated, sustained,
felonious criminal intent.