Farmer Astronaut

Old February 5th 07, 06:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Default Farmer Astronaut

"Jim" wrote in message
Just as The Right Stuff said nothing about NASA it was a book turned into
a movie.

There were a lot of people who thought that The Right Stuff was a
documentary. There are certain portions of the public that thought the
X-Files was helping to bring the "truth" about UFO's to light...

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old February 5th 07, 07:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
The Rocket Scientist

On Feb 5, 5:11 am, OM wrote:
Although today
an Astronaut beating his wife would be career suicide even before it
were made public, in those days it was still acceptable for a husband
to slap his wife around provided he had a pretty damn good reason, and
even then most people considered it none of their business.

Excuse my incredulity, but having been married for 35 years I find it
difficult to imagine a "damn good reason" to beat one's wife.

Bill Sullivan

Old February 5th 07, 07:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
Spaceflight shouldn't be quite as hard as NASA makes it out to be.
Witness the flip-flop NASA keeps making with respect to launching people
on EELV's.

NASA shouldn't have a say in the matter if I want to buy a rocket and launch
myself on it. The rest of the government shouldn't have much say in it,
either, beyond requiring insurance and a few other *limited* safety issues
(mostly safety concerning others).

Old February 5th 07, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

The Rocket Scientist wrote:
Excuse my incredulity, but having been married for 35 years I find it
difficult to imagine a "damn good reason" to beat one's wife.

Bill Sullivan

Remember, OM is from Texas.
"This Picante sauce was made in NEW YORK CITY?!" ;-)

Pat
Old February 6th 07, 04:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Scott Hedrick wrote:
Spaceflight shouldn't be quite as hard as NASA makes it out to be...

NASA shouldn't have a say in the matter if I want to buy a rocket and launch
myself on it.

Fortunately, they don't. Spaceflight, like aviation, is regulated by the
FAA. NASA has no more say over you buying a rocket than the Navy has over
you buying a boat.

(Finding someone who will sell you a rocket may be a bigger problem.)

The rest of the government shouldn't have much say in it,
either, beyond requiring insurance and a few other *limited* safety issues
(mostly safety concerning others).

By and large, they almost, kind of sort of, don't:

+ The safety review *is* almost exclusively concerned with protecting the
"uninvolved public". It is more thorough and more demanding than you
might perhaps like, but people who have been through it say that most of
it is things you ought to do anyway, and progress is being made on fixing
the exceptions.

+ There is a payload review for cargo going to orbit (etc.), but it
doesn't apply to people.

+ There is a liability-insurance requirement, the only problem being some
tendency for the FAA to require uncomfortably large amounts of coverage.

+ The one big problem is the environmental assessment, but there is no
getting around the fact that the National Environmental Protection Act
says that anything not explicitly permitted is forbidden. (Aviation, like
a number of other then-existing activities, has a blanket exemption, but
this does *not* extend to spaceflight. The FAA is trying to get that
changed, but it won't happen soon.) Flying from a spaceport that has
already done its side of the paperwork helps; there aren't many of those
yet, but that will change.
Old February 6th 07, 08:59 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On 5 Feb 2007 10:17:19 -0800, "The Rocket Scientist"
wrote:

Excuse my incredulity, but having been married for 35 years I find it
difficult to imagine a "damn good reason" to beat one's wife.

....Oh, I agree. Striking a woman is so anethema to me that I've only
come across three of them in my life that I would consider striking.
And since two of them were devout, 100% certified man-hating lesbians,
one could argue that I've only really met one.

....That one - a particular sow who I helped get busted along with her
perv of a husband for setting up a BBS that was a front for seducing
minors to show up at their place for drug and sex parties. They plea
bargained and managed to get suspended sentences when all of the kids
molested refused to testify - one even went to juvie hall over his
silence - and managed to lay low until early '05, when after a night
of drinking and driving they plowed into a phone pole at 80 mph. He's
still a paraplegic in a nursing home with AbZero bowel control
whatsoever, she made an impression of a raw egg being spit out of its
eggshell and landed almost 60 yards down the highway.

The sad news? None of my friends at the local police department will
get me pictures of the crash scene...:-(

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old February 6th 07, 10:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:

Excuse my incredulity, but having been married for 35 years I find it
difficult to imagine a "damn good reason" to beat one's wife.

...Oh, I agree. Striking a woman is so anethema to me that I've only
come across three of them in my life that I would consider striking.

I once did get struck by a woman after saying: "Well... you've slept
with every one else, why not with me?"
(thank you, Beth Piesert for a fast instruction in gentlemanly
behavior.... and despite your 110 pound weight, you've got one mighty
impressive right cross.) :-D
On the other hand, the love of my life - Kathy Hofrenning - "Little
Kiki" - had no more to fear from me than a severe case of lip chapping
from getting kissed way too much.
Ah, jeeze ...that was half my life ago, and that's the girl I'm still
head-over-heels in love with.

Pat

Old February 6th 07, 11:23 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

On the other hand, the love of my life - Kathy Hofrenning - "Little
Kiki" - had no more to fear from me than a severe case of lip
chapping from getting kissed way too much.
Ah, jeeze ...that was half my life ago, and that's the girl I'm still
head-over-heels in love with.

http://www.allbookstores.com/book/19...day_World.html

P.S. Should have been titled: "Micks, Kikes, And Your Daughter... a
guide to Norwegian Lutheran parents to prevent the wrong sort of people
from screwing the brains out of your daughter, and stop her from running
off with worthless Jewish cab drivers from Chicago, when only good and
decent (if heretical and hard-drinking) Irishmen are going to be true
enough to her to never ever go out again with any other woman for half
of their lives because they love her that much."
The ****ing Vikings raided our churches first, then the raided our hearts.
Get me my ****ing broadsword... there's a broad I want to have a little
conversation about. :-)

Pat
Old February 7th 07, 01:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Ah, jeeze ...that was half my life ago, and that's the girl I'm still
head-over-heels in love with.

There's something about Kiki...

Old February 7th 07, 06:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Ah, jeeze ...that was half my life ago, and that's the girl I'm still
head-over-heels in love with.

There's something about Kiki...

Fantastically good dessert cook, also. She could make Baked Alaska that
was like eating a cloud.

Pat