Commercial Ares I?!

Old April 11th 08, 01:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Commercial Ares I?!

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us
Okay, that makes Atlas V, Delta IV, and Ares I...three rockets to do one
job, with NASA funding the development of a competitor to commercial
vehicles that were partly funded by the Air Force and NRO.
If nothing else, I can see my speculation about that "Ares*" name from a
couple of years back was correct; it might well indeed having a military
mission.

*Greek god of war.

Pat
Old April 11th 08, 02:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dave Michelson

Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us

Okay, that makes Atlas V, Delta IV, and Ares I...three rockets to do one
job, with NASA funding the development of a competitor to commercial
vehicles that were partly funded by the Air Force and NRO.
If nothing else, I can see my speculation about that "Ares*" name from a
couple of years back was correct; it might well indeed having a military
mission.

Ares was also the name of the shuttle-derived launch vehicle that was
proposed by Zubrin et al. back in the early 1990's.

cf. Zubrin's design

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/areirect.htm

with

NASA's design

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/aresv.htm

Not identical, but cousins nonetheless.

--
Dave Michelson

Old April 11th 08, 03:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Dave Michelson" wrote in message
Ares was also the name of the shuttle-derived launch vehicle that was
proposed by Zubrin et al. back in the early 1990's.

cf. Zubrin's design

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/areirect.htm

with

NASA's design

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/aresv.htm

Not identical, but cousins nonetheless.

--
Dave Michelson

Yeah, but when you're working with essentially the same components, there's
only so many combinations you can come up with.

Old April 11th 08, 05:40 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dave Michelson

Alan Erskine wrote:
Ares was also the name of the shuttle-derived launch vehicle that was
proposed by Zubrin et al. back in the early 1990's.

Not identical, but cousins nonetheless.

Yeah, but when you're working with essentially the same components, there's
only so many combinations you can come up with.

Of course! My point is that calling the new vehicles "Ares I" and "Ares
V" was more likely a tip of the hat to Zubrin et al. instead of a "wink
wink" to the military, as Pat suggests.

--
Dave Michelson

Old April 11th 08, 01:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Dave Michelson wrote:

Of course! My point is that calling the new vehicles "Ares I" and "Ares
V" was more likely a tip of the hat to Zubrin et al. instead of a "wink
wink" to the military, as Pat suggests.

By the time they came up with the Ares name, the Mars mission had been
pretty much dropped, so it didn't really make much sense to name it
after the war god's planet.
I checked out my original posting on this from Oct.19, 2006:
http://tinyurl.com/5yffgc

"Gareth Slee wrote:
This shouldn't upset any other country!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6063926.stm

Yeah, I saw this one coming a mile off- this is out of that "Rebuilding
America's Defenses" study of Cheney's PNAC again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project...erican_Century

"The PNAC and its members had long called for the United States to
abandon the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty between the US and the Soviet
Union, from which the US withdrew in 2002. The PNAC also proposes to
control the new "international commons" of space and "cyberspace" and
pave the way for the creation of a new military service — U.S. Space
Forces — with the mission of space control. In 1998, Donald Rumsfeld
chaired a bipartisan commission on the US Ballistic Missile Threat
toward advancement of these goals. It is unclear how "space control"
will affect US adherence to the Outer Space Treaty. President George W.
Bush stated in his address to the nation on September 11, 2006 [4] that
the war on terror "will set the course for this new century and
determine the destiny of millions across the world." "

You watch- that whole "manned Moon mission" with its Ares boosters
(named after the Greek god of war) is somehow tied in with all this.

Now we find out that Ares I has a rapid launch capability that the
military wants.
The nice thing about the Bush administration is their consistency;
whatever they tell you, you can rest assured it is a lie.

Pat
Old April 11th 08, 02:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:CJSdnbhwaYbSKGPanZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us
Okay, that makes Atlas V, Delta IV, and Ares I...three rockets to do one
job, with NASA funding the development of a competitor to commercial
vehicles that were partly funded by the Air Force and NRO.
If nothing else, I can see my speculation about that "Ares*" name from a
couple of years back was correct; it might well indeed having a military
mission.

I'm starting to think that ATK is getting nervous that the problems with
Ares I may result in Congress realizing it's a complete dog and needs to be
cancelled. Unfortunately, for ATK, it's in the same payload class as Delta
IV Heavy and (the as yet unflown) Atlas V Heavy.

Their argument seems to be that the bird in the bush is worth more than the
two birds in the hand.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old April 18th 08, 05:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Michael Gallagher

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:47:48 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...98.xml&show=us
Okay, that makes Atlas V, Delta IV, and Ares I...three rockets to do one
job, with NASA funding the development of a competitor to commercial
vehicles that were partly funded by the Air Force and NRO.
If nothing else, I can see my speculation about that "Ares*" name from a
couple of years back was correct; it might well indeed having a military
mission.

Except that the Altas and Deltas are also used for military,
commercial, and NASA missions. Why shouldn't Ares have the same mix?

I think the name is just an hommage to the Saturn seris, with Ares 1
taking the place of Saturn 1B. Big Deal.

*Greek god of war.

Pat

Old April 18th 08, 05:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Michael Gallagher

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:10:38 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Now we find out that Ares I has a rapid launch capability that the
military wants.

Isn't it also cheaper to get it on the pad an launch it as quickly as
possible? (Assuming you can quickly stack the solid booster, which I
doubt.)

Old April 18th 08, 08:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

wrote:

Now we find out that Ares I has a rapid launch capability that the
military wants.

Isn't it also cheaper to get it on the pad an launch it as quickly as
possible? (Assuming you can quickly stack the solid booster, which I
doubt.)

No, it's cheaper to minimize the man hours and materials costs
required to get it on the pad and launch it.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old April 19th 08, 12:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

By the time they came up with the Ares name, the Mars mission had been
pretty much dropped, so it didn't really make much sense to name it
after the war god's planet.
I checked out my original posting on this from Oct.19, 2006:
http://tinyurl.com/5yffgc

Now we find out that Ares I has a rapid launch capability that the
military wants.

Given your habit of tying virtually everything into a deep and dark
(and hysterical) conspiracy theories revolving around Cheney and the
Bush Administration, like Copy Boy and a stopped clock... you were
bound to be quasi correct eventually.

D.