Commercial Ares I?!

Old April 27th 08, 10:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

Default Commercial Ares I?!

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:31:58 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Michael Gallagher wrote:
I think one Saturn 1B was once used for a non-Apollo launch. I don't
know the details.

Pegasus micrometeoroid satellites, but they weren't commercial:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/pegasus.htm

....Except that the Pegasus series were launched on Saturn I's, not
IB's. All the IB's were used just on Apollo-related missions, with the
only one not used to launch a CSM stack being the AS-203 flight, which
preceeded Apollo1, and was launched to investigate the effects of
weightlessness on the fuel in the S-IVB tank.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old April 27th 08, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:
No; the only launches were for the Apollo and Skylab programs. Pegasus was
also for Apollo - to find out the micrometeorite rate in LEO.

Pegasus was a quicky solution to a very unexpected problem - Saturn I
was ready to launch before anyone had come up with a payload for it to
carry. So they thought "What could you do quick...something big and
heavy and impressive... that could yield some scientifically useful
data?" and Pegasus was the answer. At the time NASA could point at it as
the largest spacecraft ever put into orbit, and the meteor impact data
was supposed to be useful for Apollo and other programs involving
anything in space for a long period of time. (like future space stations
and probes to the planets).
Here's a program I never heard of:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/gemector.htm
This sounds like something the military was always playing around with
back then; going up and having a look-see at "noncooperative" Soviet
satellites.

Pat
Old April 28th 08, 05:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:fNidneUKbZ4ec4nVnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
Here's a program I never heard of:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/gemector.htm
This sounds like something the military was always playing around with
back then; going up and having a look-see at "noncooperative" Soviet
satellites.

I haven't heard of that one either. "Noncooperative" means that the
satellite was not controlled - not necessarily a Soviet vehicle, but there's
no reason why such a system couldn't be used on Rooskee vee-hekles.

Old April 28th 08, 08:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

I haven't heard of that one either. "Noncooperative" means that the
satellite was not controlled - not necessarily a Soviet vehicle, but there's
no reason why such a system couldn't be used on Rooskee vee-hekles.

They were very hooked on that back then; there was SAINT, SAINT II, the
loopy LM version that was supposed to spray-paint the optics on the
Soviet reconsats black....and my all-time fave... the Navy Space
Cruiser, which looked like something SHADO might deploy in "UFO":
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/spauiser.htm
Scott Lowther has goodies on this, including launching it with the pilot
feet-end first, which sounds like a real good recipe for a immediate
aneurysm in the brain due to G loads:
http://www.up-ship.com/apr/extras/scruiser1.htm
There's some sort of sine-wave thing going on with manned military space
systems that hits a apex around every twenty years.
I'm still trying to figure this out, as it's fascinating to consider
from a political point of view, and may write a posting on it in the
near future to the newsgroup with history and suggestions for such
weapons systems by the military during each of those 20 year apexes.

Pat
Old April 30th 08, 11:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Apr 23, 8:24 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Andre Lieven wrote:
I've seen commercials, but no episodes. How about getting the
Presidential candidates, once the D's have a candidate, to do their
shtick on Lewis Black's The Root Of All Evil ? g

Comedy Central used to have a great Wednesday night line-up, with South
Park, Reno 911, The Daily Show, and The Colbert Report running back-to-back.
Rather than show reruns of Reno 911, they stuck Lewis Black in
there...and he's like a skunk showing up at a picnic.
The show is one of the loudest, most pea-brained, and downright annoying
things since the days of The Gong Show.

The Comedy Network up here runs it, and I rather like it.

Now, Reno 911, *thats* pea brained and annoying, no question. Stupid,
too.
Guys like Christopher Titus have shown that you can do smart comedies.
While being hugely funny.

Andre

Old May 1st 08, 04:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Andre Lieven" wrote in message
Guys like Christopher Titus have shown that you can do smart comedies.
While being hugely funny.

"We build monster trucks for fun. **** us off and see what we make." -
Christopher Titus, The Tonight Show, commenting on what the terrorists
forgot.

Old May 2nd 08, 09:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On May 1, 11:37 am, "Scott Hedrick" wrote:
"Andre Lieven" wrote in message

Guys like Christopher Titus have shown that you can do smart comedies.
While being hugely funny.

"We build monster trucks for fun. **** us off and see what we make." -
Christopher Titus, The Tonight Show, commenting on what the terrorists
forgot.

"The normal make a living, the deranged make history."
Christopher Titus, Titus.

Andre