linux astro image processing software

Old August 23rd 03, 06:05 PM
Shawn Grant

Default linux astro image processing software

I'm finding lots of Windows and Macintosh software but only image
capture software and the Gimp for Linux. Am I destined to run Windows
software under wine?

If you are smart you would get rid of the disgrace called Linux and switch
to Windows XP. Windows is freedom. It allows you to run all types of
software for all types of jobs. Say yes to Windows. Say no to Linux.

Old August 23rd 03, 10:57 PM
Sam Wormley

Shawn Grant wrote:

I'm finding lots of Windows and Macintosh software but only image
capture software and the Gimp for Linux. Am I destined to run Windows
software under wine?

If you are smart you would get rid of the disgrace called Linux and switch
to Windows XP. Windows is freedom. It allows you to run all types of
software for all types of jobs. Say yes to Windows. Say no to Linux.

Shawn failed to point out that Windows is harrassment.
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...h.php?query=xv

Old August 23rd 03, 11:10 PM
Mark R

Damn. I hate to agree with Shawn on this one. He is right. Windoze XP
allows all kinds of programs to run - sobig, nachi, lovesan, etc. All
said, 26 virus/worms released in the last 28 days. Think about it,
this is the ultimate in freeware I don't even have to go through
the bother of downloading or installing it

I just love it when my OS and applications are so insecure that it
runs anything that anyone else wants to run on it unless I run daily
updates on my antivirus and apply patches weekly, and daily in some
cases.

Old August 24th 03, 03:06 AM
Al Wilson

I love Linux, compiling my kernel gives me many hot splashes
of pleasure, it is so good.
Old August 24th 03, 03:06 AM
Al Wilson

Old August 24th 03, 04:53 AM
Peter Besenbruch

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:55:17 +0000, Sam Wormley wrote:

xv
display
image magic
gimp

The first is my work horse

Along with these, people recommend CinePaint (formerly Film Gimp). It has
some features for background matting films, but image editors like it
because of its ability to handle large images at huge color depths, up to
32 bits per channel. It's a 21 meg. download.

I personally use Gimp. It is a mid level program. It's interface takes a
little getting used to, but you will go far if you right click and hunt
the menus. It has become quite stable, and is one of the fastest programs
out there. If there is a standard Linux graphics editor, the Gimp is it.
Consequently, there are all sorts of plug-ins available for it.