The start of something big?

Old January 23rd 07, 01:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Totorkon

Default The start of something big?

The USSR did it at the turn of the decade, 27 years ago, with 'hunter
killer' satellites. Five years later the US with 'HOE' destroyed a
target with a secret transponder, but only once and in low orbit. Now
that China has taken its turn the debre problem takes center stage.
Sending garbage into every which orbit, poisening the gravity well,
looks bad from any point of view, whether hardliner or tree hugger.
One can atleast hope that this might lead to another space race, one
that will result in the rise of the flybacks, regular access to space,
and a giant surplus capacity sanctioned and subsidised by governments.

A big stick can promote a softer diplomatic voice. Faster, cheaper,
heavier and by the dozen, could be a slogan for those who fear a
redundancy gap. Lots of experimental rendevous'... with a grapple, to
establish space superiority. We have a right to dance our own
satellites into a degenerate orbit, beware this talent.
A tourist could be taken to the highest hotel for under $1M if the cost
to LEO were $300 per pound. Such a visit might be seen as a charitable
contribution and a service to the nation, one small step toward
utilization of solar space resources.
It would be hard to fault anyone for the energy expense... does your
car odometer read more than 25000 miles (half that if you drive a
hummer)?

Start Looking Mike Thomas Amateur Astronomy 0 March 4th 06 06:34 AM
nightbat to Sil, where do I start? nightbat Misc 190 January 19th 06 05:46 AM
Where to start? Olv UK Astronomy 4 November 14th 05 09:28 PM
Start Izidor CCD Imaging 2 September 4th 05 06:47 PM
where do I start Michael Misc 6 July 7th 04 05:51 AM