BBQ Roll question...

Old February 20th 06, 02:21 AM posted to sci.space.history

Default BBQ Roll question...

....Here's one that hit me this evening, and I'm surprised none of us
have ever asked this befo When the CSM stack was put into the
Passive Thermal Roll - or BBQ Roll - was it done clockwise or
counter-clockwise? And was there a preference, and if so, why?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old February 20th 06, 03:34 AM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:
...Here's one that hit me this evening, and I'm surprised none of us
have ever asked this befo When the CSM stack was put into the
Passive Thermal Roll - or BBQ Roll - was it done clockwise or
counter-clockwise? And was there a preference, and if so, why?

Interesting question.

The Apollo 15 Flight Journal gives the impression that either was a
possibility.

--
Dave Michelson

Old February 20th 06, 05:02 AM posted to sci.space.history

it depended on how well done you wanted your barbecue ribs

Just joking!

Old February 20th 06, 03:42 PM posted to sci.space.history

"OM" wrote:

...Here's one that hit me this evening, and I'm surprised none of us
have ever asked this befo When the CSM stack was put into the
Passive Thermal Roll - or BBQ Roll - was it done clockwise or
counter-clockwise? And was there a preference, and if so, why?

Supplement 2 to the Apollo 8 Mission Report

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1974072935.pdf

has a section on PTC starting on page 82 of the PDF file (page 6-1 of the original
doc.).

"PTC roll rate was introduced by five minus roll axis firings between GET
11:13:38 and 11:13:40."

"Minus roll" would be to the left or anticlockwise I believe?

--

Brian Lawrence

Wantage, Oxfordshire, UK

Old February 20th 06, 04:04 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:42:32 -0000, "Brian Lawrence"
wrote:

"OM" wrote:

...Here's one that hit me this evening, and I'm surprised none of us
have ever asked this befo When the CSM stack was put into the
Passive Thermal Roll - or BBQ Roll - was it done clockwise or
counter-clockwise? And was there a preference, and if so, why?

Supplement 2 to the Apollo 8 Mission Report

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1974072935.pdf

has a section on PTC starting on page 82 of the PDF file (page 6-1 of the original
doc.).

"PTC roll rate was introduced by five minus roll axis firings between GET
11:13:38 and 11:13:40."

"Minus roll" would be to the left or anticlockwise I believe?

....Yep, but the questions of why and was this SOP still remain.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old February 20th 06, 04:30 PM posted to sci.space.history

news
wrote:

"OM" wrote:

...Here's one that hit me this evening, and I'm surprised none of us
have ever asked this befo When the CSM stack was put into the
Passive Thermal Roll - or BBQ Roll - was it done clockwise or
counter-clockwise? And was there a preference, and if so, why?

Supplement 2 to the Apollo 8 Mission Report

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1974072935.pdf

has a section on PTC starting on page 82 of the PDF file (page 6-1 of the
original
doc.).

"PTC roll rate was introduced by five minus roll axis firings between
GET
11:13:38 and 11:13:40."

"Minus roll" would be to the left or anticlockwise I believe?

...Yep, but the questions of why and was this SOP still remain.

I'm thinking that on the unit circle angles are measured as anticlockwise =
positive. For example, so that sin ?/2 = 1. If, on the spacecraft, minus
roll is defined to be anticlockwise, I'm wondering what made them reverse
the normal practice.

Old February 20th 06, 09:43 PM posted to sci.space.history

"Brian Lawrence" wrote in message

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1974072935.pdf

Rusty? Is that you?

Old February 21st 06, 11:01 AM posted to sci.space.history

I have this vague recollection that it was done clockwise
(from the astronaut sitting in the CM, looking forward,
viewpoint).

So it must have been done the other way on A13 when the LM provided
reaction control for both vehicles.

Old February 23rd 06, 11:42 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message

news
wrote:

"OM" wrote:

[...]

You are getting to complicated. Its just a number line -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2
3 4. -5 degrees is to the left.