Is this Eyepiece and Filter set any good?

Old January 31st 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Is this Eyepiece and Filter set any good?

First - I am not affiliated to this company in any way - HONESTLY!!!

I am looking (have been for a whle now!) at getting the LX90 8" and
saw this offer on their site;

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meade...e_index_fs.htm

2 Options really - get it from here with the filter for £1584

OR

get it from here;

http://telescopehouse.co.uk/page.asp...lang=001lngdef

for £1502 (using the 10% BAA discount)

So really, are the eyepieces and filters in the first offer worth the
extra £80?

Thanks
Old January 31st 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Paul wrote in message ...
First - I am not affiliated to this company in any way - HONESTLY!!!

I am looking (have been for a whle now!) at getting the LX90 8" and
saw this offer on their site;

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meade...e_index_fs.htm

2 Options really - get it from here with the filter for £1584

OR

get it from here;

http://telescopehouse.co.uk/page.asp...lang=001lngdef

for £1502 (using the 10% BAA discount)

So really, are the eyepieces and filters in the first offer worth the
extra £80?

Interesting that you get a Meade scope and a Celestron eyepiece set. You
would spend more than £80 to get an equivalent amount of EPs, but
personally, I would save the money and buy better quality EPs one at a time.
Realistically, the higher power 4mm and 6mm EPs may just be infuriating,
given the initial learning curve and typical UK skies and seeing conditions.

IMHO (and I am a beginner), I would buy the stand alone unit - it comes with
a fairly decent 26mm EP anyway and then get to know the scope and buy EPs
one at a time as you need them (from ebay - some great deals to be had)

If you start out with loads of EPs, barlows, filters etc, you may spend more
time trying different combos than actually looking at stuff.

I'd use the 26mm that comes with the scope first until I was familair with
it, then buy a good quality wide angle EP - maybe a 42mm or so. After that,
maybe start looking at higher magnification units, but the greater the
magnification, the better quality you need to do it justice. Then, once you
know what you are doing, add filters as and when you think you need them.

Just my two british pennies worth.

Old January 31st 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Paul wrote:

First - I am not affiliated to this company in any way - HONESTLY!!!

I am looking (have been for a whle now!) at getting the LX90 8" and
saw this offer on their site;

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meade...e_index_fs.htm

2 Options really - get it from here with the filter for £1584

OR

get it from here;

http://telescopehouse.co.uk/page.asp...lang=001lngdef

for £1502 (using the 10% BAA discount)

So really, are the eyepieces and filters in the first offer worth the
extra £80?

You could try beating up BC&F to match Sherwoods deal at Astrofest (they
are after all the sole Meade UK importer). And it would make quite a
good spectators sport ;-)

On the face of it the Sherwoods deal is well worthwhile even though the
4mm & 6mm eyepieces are a waste of time with an f10 instrument in the UK
on all but 1 night a year (ie worth selling on to someone with a much
faster scope). And pointless when you have 2x Barlow + 9mm, 15mm.

I wonder what Celestron makes of their special deal kit being sold with
Meade scopes? UK is probably so far off their radar it doesn't matter!

FWIW I rather like my old Celestron 35mm Ultima eyepiece and I am sure
it cost more than £80 almost a decade ago.

You can price up the bits off their website. Also worth looking for any
extra discounts at Astrofest - if you don't ask you won't get.

It is worth buying eyepieces so that a 2x Barlow causes no collisions. I
favour sequences like 7,10,17,26,40. 2x = 3.5,5,8.5,13,20 YMMV

If I read you correctly for a non-BAA member the deal is that you get
£70 change and a free set of eyepieces by buying from Sherwoods...

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 31st 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:49:22 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Paul wrote:

[...]

For non BAA memebrs, then the prices are;

Sherwoods - £1569 + £15 for the lens kit

Telescope House = £1669 on its own (take 10% off, if BAA member)
Old January 31st 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

i would go to sheerwoods i had good dealings with Mat there after a problem
with my etx-125 i recently purchased from him, as for the eyepieces if i was
spending that much on a scope i would get branded eyepieces.. But for 80
quid if they turm out to be crap, keep the case and get the rest of it on
ebay you will at very least get your 80 quid back

Pete

Old February 1st 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Paul wrote in message ...
First - I am not affiliated to this company in any way - HONESTLY!!!

I am looking (have been for a whle now!) at getting the LX90 8" and
saw this offer on their site;

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meade...e_index_fs.htm

2 Options really - get it from here with the filter for £1584

OR

get it from here;

http://telescopehouse.co.uk/page.asp...lang=001lngdef

for £1502 (using the 10% BAA discount)

So really, are the eyepieces and filters in the first offer worth the
extra £80?

You should check these out before deciding on eyepieces. I used them on a
mate's ETX125 last week am VERY impressed. I shall be buying when next in
stock.
http://www.astronomylimited.com/eyepieces.htm.

I have the 12x80 bins which are excellent.
http://www.astronomylimited.com/binoculars.htm

This is a new company with links to Glamorgan Uni. Products are all vetted
and vouched for by Uni Astronomers. I hear all items are getting good
reviews.

Old February 1st 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

I purchased the Celestron 5 eyepiece kit in the States last December. The
32, 9, and 6mm lenses are useful if not top quality. The 4mm is a bit
overwhelmed if the seeing is not perfect. All these give sharp images, if
they lose something in detail. The 15mm is useless. It looks like a
fisheye lens with the outer 1/2 of the image blurred. The barlow is poor
quality, giving images which are too dark. I plan to keep everything but
the 15 and balow.

BTW, greetings from Texas. I lived in Norfolk for 5 years in the 80's.
Anyone from that area?

-John Banister