Eyepiece with good eye relief?

Old February 2nd 04, 09:32 PM
Malcolm Stewart

Default Eyepiece with good eye relief?

Being astigmatic and middle aged, I need to wear spectacles all of the time. My
binoculars have excellent eye relief and are quickly switchable from being
suitable for spec wearing to non-spec wearing users. The change in eye-relief
is 10mm, and I get full angular coverage with ease when wearing specs.
Is a similar facility available in 1¼" eyepieces for astro 'scopes? Currently I
use the 26mm Plossl supplied with my ETX-105, and even with the rubber surround
folded down, my viewing angle is very restricted. (The change in eye relief from
the up position is only 5mm, maybe 6mm if I'm generous! I can gain another 3mm
by removing the rubber cup, but then I'll scratch my specs.)
Are any other makes better in this respect?

(I appreciate that eye relief varies with focal length, but getting a good
viewing angle with the "standard" eyepiece shouldn't be impossible, me thinks!)

Thanks for any ideas.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 2nd 04, 09:52 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Hi Malcom,

The Vixen Lanthanums are very good in this respect, 20mm eye relief with the
eyecup folded down on both my 25mm and 9mm

Robin

Old February 2nd 04, 10:30 PM
Russell Healey

Malcolm,

Televue Radian eyepieces are excellent, have good eyerelief with
insta-adjust eyecups.
They are pricey, however, but second hand ones can often be obtained on
www.ukastroads.co.uk

A good quality Barlow lens retains the eyerelief of an existing eyepiece and
yet multiplies the magnification (e.g x2) - useful since eyerelief generally
goes down with decreasing focal length.

--
Russell Healey

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...

Old February 3rd 04, 01:19 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message
snip
Is a similar facility available in 1¼" eyepieces for astro 'scopes? Currently

use the 26mm Plossl supplied with my ETX-105, and even with the rubber
surround folded down, my viewing angle is very restricted.

Thanks for your replies - Looks as though there's a decent choice at a price.
I've just been to the respective websites, and now understand what an astro
friend warned me about just after I bought the 'scope - that the hobby becomes
its own financial black hole!

Cheers,

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK
www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ms1938/

QUAESTION: Generic Plossl eyepiece on eBay any Good? Jon Isaacs Amateur Astronomy 6 July 2nd 04 08:44 PM
AFOV Mike Thomas Amateur Astronomy 20 July 1st 04 04:59 PM
Bands of Saturn. How many of them can be counted (really!) with 7" scope? ValeryD Amateur Astronomy 294 January 26th 04 08:18 PM
Requirements / process to become a shuttle astronaut? Dan Huizenga Space Shuttle 11 November 14th 03 07:33 AM