June Solstice 2013

Old June 18th 13, 08:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default June Solstice 2013

The Northern polar coordinates do not 'tilt' towards the Sun in the
coming days,they are carried around to a maximum distance to the
circle of illumination by the orbital behavior of the Earth.

While it is called 'axial precession' at the moment,the Earth does
turn once to the central Sun each year creating this effect as it does
with all planets,simply matching up the images of Uranus with the one
currently called 'precession' should be good enough for anyone -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earth_precession.svg

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/...gs_changes.jpg

Of course nobody else is going to describe what happens over the next
few days as daylight lengths reach their maximum in the Northern
hemisphere and summer kicks in for all people in the Northern
latitudes even as their bodies naturally adjust to this orbital point
of the Earth.The point is that we are astronomers by virtue of the
great cycles around which our bodies adjust to the day/night cycle and
the annual cycle,for those who care enough to discover why our mind
and body responds to these changes need only look at the specifics of
the Earth's motions.It is these questions that got left behind and
lost in the empirical voodoo.

Old June 18th 13, 10:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_11_]

"oriel36" wrote in message

The Northern polar coordinates do not 'tilt'

Never mind that, where in the sky is Sirius that you were
ranting about six months ago? I can't see it, where is
your god hiding it?

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When the idiots papabozo and Dork Van de faggot present an argument I cannot
laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

Old June 20th 13, 01:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Instead of the normal defining of the Solstice by the height of the
Sun against the horizon,it is much more fun to look at the Solstice
from a distance,besides the idea that the Earth tilts to the Sun gives
the impression that the height of the Sun varies because the Earth
'tilts' towards and away from the Sun like tilting a jug of water.

The North/South poles are a few hours away from their maximum distance
to the circle of illumination as the orbital behavior carries these
planetary points where the Earth doesn't rotate around in a circle to
the central Sun,we can see it happen directly with Uranus where the
poles now lie on the circle of illumination (Equinox)

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/...gs_changes.jpg

Although called 'axial precession',the Earth's polar coordinates are
moving to the exact same point in the following image,again,carried
around by the orbital behavior of the Earth

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...precession.svg

At the June Solstice,the North/South polar coordinates are situated
roughly 5488 miles from the circle of illumination at their maximum
distance so,on average,the polar coordinates will start to close the
distance to the circle of illumination at a mean value of 30 miles day
but change slower at this Solstice than at the December Solstice due
to the Earth's orbital position.

It does raise many questions when it comes to orbital geometry but
that is what makes astronomy exciting and challenging however,in the
few hours before the Solstice it is an enjoyable pursuit to dwell on
what is actually happening dynamically up to the event.