If You are an Active Observer, How Many Bolides do You See Annually?

Old February 16th 13, 05:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default If You are an Active Observer, How Many Bolides do You See Annually?

I am not so active as I used to be, but I frequently go out to have a
look at the sky on a clear night. I would say that in the peak years of
my activity I would see from two to four bolides per year from my
Central Maryland site. Many were bright enough to illuminate the
landscape briefly, though none that I saw was accompanied by sound.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old February 16th 13, 07:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:43:53 PM UTC-5, Davoud wrote:
I am not so active as I used to be, but I frequently go out to have a

look at the sky on a clear night. I would say that in the peak years of

my activity I would see from two to four bolides per year from my

Central Maryland site. Many were bright enough to illuminate the

landscape briefly, though none that I saw was accompanied by sound.

In all the years I have been observing I have seen three. I have never heard a "boomer".

Old February 16th 13, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:43:53 AM UTC-8, Davoud wrote:
I am not so active as I used to be, but I frequently go out to have a

look at the sky on a clear night. I would say that in the peak years of

my activity I would see from two to four bolides per year from my

Central Maryland site. Many were bright enough to illuminate the

landscape briefly, though none that I saw was accompanied by sound.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

It might depend on your definition of the word *bolide*. If you mean this one, from Wiki...

"The IAU has no official definition of "bolide", and generally considers the term synonymous with "fireball". However, the term generally applies to fireballs reaching magnitude -14 or brighter.[1] Astronomers tend to use "bolide" to identify an exceptionally bright fireball, particularly one that explodes (sometimes called a detonating fireball). It may also be used to mean a fireball which creates audible sounds."

.... then I would say, personally, that I see perhaps a dozen a year. Understand that I always observe from dark skies well away from population centers and with good horizons, and might total 150-200 hours per year under such night skies, usually in California but sometimes in Arizona or Texas.

\Paul A
Old February 16th 13, 08:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:43:53 -0500, Davoud wrote:

I am not so active as I used to be, but I frequently go out to have a
look at the sky on a clear night. I would say that in the peak years of
my activity I would see from two to four bolides per year from my
Central Maryland site. Many were bright enough to illuminate the
landscape briefly, though none that I saw was accompanied by sound.

I avoid the use of "bolide" since it lacks formal definition and has
confusing and conflicting informal uses.

I think an active observer is likely to see perhaps a dozen or more
fireballs in a year, and one or two especially bright, fragmenting
fireballs. The sort of spectacular, turn the night into day events
that occasionally show up on video might never be seen, even by
someone who is outside a lot at night. That is my personal experience,
as well as my inference from examining camera data.
Old February 16th 13, 08:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_7_]

--

I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything
that

[...]

===================================
I have seen one in daylight, when I was 10 years old. One does not normally
look up during the day and so many will be missed, but I was flying a kite
at the time.

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an argument I
cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

Old February 16th 13, 09:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_5_]

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:12:03 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
I avoid the use of "bolide" since it lacks formal definition and has
confusing and conflicting informal uses.

I think an active observer is likely to see perhaps a dozen or more
fireballs in a year, and one or two especially bright, fragmenting
fireballs.

What's thé formal definition of fireball??
Old February 16th 13, 11:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris L Peterson:
I avoid the use of "bolide" since it lacks formal definition and has
confusing and conflicting informal uses.

I think an active observer is likely to see perhaps a dozen or more
fireballs in a year, and one or two especially bright, fragmenting
fireballs.

Paul Schlyter:
What's thé formal definition of fireball??

I wondered that, as well. I suspect that the formal definition of
fireball, as with the formal definition of all that exists, is what Mr.
Peterson declares it to be.

Old February 17th 13, 12:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:11:54 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

What's thé formal definition of fireball??

The IAU formally defines a fireball as any meteor brighter than the
brightest planet, which is generally taken as magnitude -4.

"Bolide" is sometimes used by astronomers in reference to a fireball
that is observed to break up, and it is used by geologists in
reference to a crater forming object.
Old February 17th 13, 06:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_5_]

wrote:

What's thé formal definition of fireball??

The IAU formally defines a fireball as any meteor brighter than the
brightest planet, which is generally taken as magnitude -4.

That's the definition of bolide too: a meteor brighter than Venus.

"Bolide" is sometimes used by astronomers in reference to a fireball
that is observed to break up, and it is used by geologists in
reference to a crater forming object.

I think we can find other uses of "fireball" as well, particularly by
non-astronomers...
Old February 17th 13, 02:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 07:54:46 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

That's the definition of bolide too: a meteor brighter than Venus.

No, it isn't. It is one definition, used by somebody (?), and without
any formal basis. Even in discussing meteors, it means different
things to different people.

I'm not saying that there's anything inherently wrong with words that
lack formal definition within any particular professional community,
but where formal definitions exist, it's usually preferable to use
them. "Bolide" is avoided by many in the meteor research community
precisely because of the confusion around exactly how to interpret it.
"Fireball" is perfectly clear.

I think we can find other uses of "fireball" as well, particularly by
non-astronomers...

Of course. But when used in an astronomical context, it is clearly
defined. That's generally a good thing.

Green bolides - space junk? or something else? Leo Freeman Amateur Astronomy 4 February 2nd 07 04:21 PM
Bolides Again The Real Chris Astronomy Misc 5 May 26th 06 03:52 PM
More Bolides Chris Astronomy Misc 19 May 12th 06 01:43 AM
Bolides Chris Astronomy Misc 9 February 19th 06 06:55 AM
Bolides and Mars Mick Amateur Astronomy 1 July 29th 03 01:49 AM