Mystery scopes on eBay

Old November 20th 03, 06:02 AM
The CO

Default Mystery scopes on eBay

"Larry Brown" wrote in message
Dear Doctor,
I'm a powerseller on ebay (platinum). My advice is, don't buy

telescopes on
ebay.

Any advice for would be buyers in Oz? We don't seem to have many
alternatives.
(New scopes seem to very expensive)

Geoff in Oz

Old November 20th 03, 06:06 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:32:16 +1030, "The CO" ...reflected:

"Larry Brown" wrote in message
Dear Doctor,
I'm a powerseller on ebay (platinum). My advice is, don't buy

telescopes on
ebay.

Any advice for would be buyers in Oz? We don't seem to have many
alternatives.
(New scopes seem to very expensive)

Geoff in Oz

There's scores of decent, affordable telescopes out there,
and without having to resort to eBait.

Alan
Old November 20th 03, 07:44 AM
Trane Francks

On 11/20/03 15:06 +0900, Alan W. Craft wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:32:16 +1030, "The CO" ...reflected:

Any advice for would be buyers in Oz? We don't seem to have many
alternatives.
(New scopes seem to very expensive)

Geoff in Oz

There's scores of decent, affordable telescopes out there,
and without having to resort to eBait.

Remember that "best scope for $3000" thread a while back? The
NexStar 11 GPS was often mentioned. Here in Tokyo, US$3000
doesn't even buy you a NexStar 8 GPS. I expect it to be much the
same down under, especially when one takes into account the
current valuation of the Aussie dollar.

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan
//
http://mp3.com/trane_francks/

Old November 20th 03, 09:57 AM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
"Ray Porter" on Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:34:51 -0500,
which said:

You can find some good stuff on Ebay but you've got to know what you're
buying. Some well known vendors sell stuff on Ebay. Some sellers are
amateurs who've chosen not to use Astromart for whatever reason. Maybe they
tried Astromart and the item didn't sell there?

I'm selling mine on eBay for pretty much that reason, and it looks
like the buyer is going to get a good deal; not great, but good. I
figured eBay gets a much wider audience than Astromart, which means a
better price. I've probably got ~$650 invested in it and the
accessories that are going with it, and it looks like it'll sell for
under $500; on Astromart, I'd be lucky to get $300.

-------------
Beady's 11th Law of Social Harmonics: "Your spouse is precisely the kind of person someone like you would choose to marry."
Old November 20th 03, 01:56 PM
Jon Isaacs

I'm selling mine on eBay for pretty much that reason, and it looks
like the buyer is going to get a good deal; not great, but good. I
figured eBay gets a much wider audience than Astromart, which means a
better price.

I've probably got ~$650 invested in it and the
accessories that are going with it, and it looks like it'll sell for
under $500; on Astromart, I'd be lucky to get $300.

Ebay is probably a good place to sell because because as a seller one is pretty
well protected. Not a good place to buy IMHO.

jon
Old November 20th 03, 02:26 PM
Al

which said:

You can find some good stuff on Ebay but you've got to know what you're
buying. Some well known vendors sell stuff on Ebay. Some sellers are
amateurs who've chosen not to use Astromart for whatever reason. Maybe

they
tried Astromart and the item didn't sell there?

I'm selling mine on eBay for pretty much that reason, and it looks
like the buyer is going to get a good deal; not great, but good. I
figured eBay gets a much wider audience than Astromart, which means a
better price. I've probably got ~$650 invested in it and the
accessories that are going with it, and it looks like it'll sell for
under $500; on Astromart, I'd be lucky to get $300.

You've defined ebay for buyers in your last sentence...

I've probably got ~$650 invested in it and the
accessories that are going with it, and it looks like it'll sell for
under $500; on Astromart, I'd be lucky to get $300.

So, if you have something to sell, go to ebay...when you have something to
buy, go to astromart.

Al

Old November 21st 03, 01:23 AM
The CO

"Alan W. Craft" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:32:16 +1030, "The CO"

...reflected:

"Larry Brown" wrote in message
Dear Doctor,
I'm a powerseller on ebay (platinum). My advice is, don't buy

telescopes on
ebay.

Any advice for would be buyers in Oz? We don't seem to have many
alternatives.
(New scopes seem to very expensive)

Geoff in Oz

There's scores of decent, affordable telescopes out there,
and without having to resort to eBait.

Where please? Remember IN AUSTRALIA.

Geoff in Oz

Old November 21st 03, 01:44 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:44:10 +0900, Trane Francks ...reflected:

On 11/20/03 15:06 +0900, Alan W. Craft wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:32:16 +1030, "The CO" ...reflected:

Any advice for would be buyers in Oz? We don't seem to have many
alternatives.
(New scopes seem to very expensive)

Geoff in Oz

There's scores of decent, affordable telescopes out there,
and without having to resort to eBait.

Remember that "best scope for $3000" thread a while back? The
NexStar 11 GPS was often mentioned. Here in Tokyo, US$3000
doesn't even buy you a NexStar 8 GPS.

Have you ever...privately...secretly...even subconsciously...wished
to move to "The Good Ol' U. S. of A." as a result?

Stay right where you are; you're not missing anything, really; not anymore,
anyway.

You're not originally from Japan, are you?

I expect it to be much the same down under, especially when one
takes into account the current valuation of the Aussie dollar.

I did a little web-browsing, and right you are. It doesn't make that
much, albeit conventional, sense given that Australia is right down
under where the bulk of the stuff's made.

trane

Alan
Old November 21st 03, 02:10 AM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
"Al" on Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:26:34 GMT,
which said:

I've probably got ~$650 invested in it and the
accessories that are going with it, and it looks like it'll sell for
under $500; on Astromart, I'd be lucky to get $300.

So, if you have something to sell, go to ebay...when you have something to
buy, go to astromart.

I believe you're guilty of a little selective reading, there. Yes, I
will get considerably more by selling on eBay, but the buyer is also
going to get a pretty good deal, too; s/he's going to save at least
$150 on an almost-new 'scope and accessories. The auction still has a
couple of days to run, but I believe the price has pretty-well
topped-off.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with shopping on eBay, providing you
actually *shop*. Where people get into trouble is that they
register, then immediately start bidding without evaluating the
sellers' feedback, or they get caught up in the bidding.

It may happen that some newbie will fall in love with my telescope and
decide that he just has to have it; he might also get caught up in
"bidding fever." As it is, though, the current leading bidder stands
to get a good deal and I'll get a fair price. Not as much as I would
like, but a fair price nonetheless, and better than I'd get on
Astromart.

Oh, and one other thing: at least one halfway-decent 'scope will have
been offered to an audience who knows nothing about Astromart. One
person who might otherwise have bought a Tasco at Walmart will be
absolutely delighted with what he found on eBay. So how is that
unfair to the bidder?

-------------
Old November 21st 03, 02:17 AM
Jon Isaacs

One
person who might otherwise have bought a Tasco at Walmart will be
absolutely delighted with what he found on eBay. So how is that
unfair to the bidder?

Selling a scope on Ebay seems like the smart thing to do if you are willing to
put up with the hassle.

And that means that at least one person is going to get a reasonable scope via
Ebay.

But my guess is that this does not change the percentages much.

Jon